Sponsored by: DP Tuner

fuel pump replacement procedure

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 09:51 AM
KLEIMANN
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pump replacement procedure

I'd like to replace my fuel pump, but my only concern is the plunger - loosing it.
What precautions would be recommended to prevent from loosing it? Also any additional insights (tips / tricks) for replacing the fuel pump would be very much appriciated, and what after market brand pump to use and what type of fuel line to use. I have approx. 150k miles on the pump and I see fuel dripping afore the pump, as though it's coming thru the hose connection, which I've tightened a few times now. '95 FORD F250 P/S, 7.3L

THANKS, KLEIMANN

Old 11-23-2004, 10:43 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Did you try replacing the copper washers on the banjo bolt. Over tightening could crack the fitting or the pump.

Old 11-25-2004, 05:20 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i did my pump on my 95 a couple of months ago and all parts were ford. but i get parts at cost so price may be better from other places. but ford has the rubber fuel lines already precut and ready to go. also this hose takes alot of heat so i would only recommend the ford hoses. all the books say you need to remove the turbo but i didn't need to. the banjo bolt on the back side is hard to get to and a real pain to get started again but didn't need to take the turbo off. you do need to remove the fuel filter housing. i also didn't have any problem with the plunger it stayed in the pump. so good luck.

tjbeggs

Old 11-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
For the price of one of those bags of Ford pre-cut hose, you can buy a couple of feet of the same hose and cut the lengths you need. Go to a local speed shop that sells Aeroquip hoses, and buy this stuff:

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/aeroquip.jpg

If you go to a truck place looking for the high-temp diesel hose they'll look at you like you're crazy. Big rigs don't run fuel lines next to turbos, so they don't have this problem.

Just be careful as you pull the pump up - smooth and straight - and the plunger should come with the pump. As you get it out of its hole, you could peek in there or reach in with a screwdriver and try to make sure the plunger comes up with the pump. Or maybe you'll be lucky and the lobe will be in the upper position and there won't even be room for the plunger to fall in. It's not really that common an occurrence, just something to be aware of.

You definitely need to take out the fuel filter housing when you do this, and that's a good time to check it for leaks around the sensors, or corrosion through the bottom of the housing, etc. And replace all those blue hoses with the Aeroquip stuff. I actually cut all my new ones about 1/4" longer which made it easier to get them on the pipes as I was threading everything back together, but they weren't so long as to cause problems in place.

Duncan