Sponsored by: Moser

Fuel Pump Nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Nonsense

Ok Campers. Here's an interesting one. 1975 F-250 with a 360 2bbl.

We had a good feeling the fuel pump was roached. Sure enough? We removed it and it was the factory orginal one! And it reeked of fuel behind the seal area, which means most of the engine probably has a gas-wash to the oil system. (that'll be changed and such on Sunday with the oil & filter)

We purchased a new fuel pump from Napa, and it was a bear to install. The pump bowl sat a bit higher then the old one, and blocked off full access to the bolts. Anywho...It's installed...Primed up the carb a bit..and nadda....No pressure or volume coming out of the pump.

So being interested in knowing if we might have a fuel blockage? We pulled the feed line from the pump, and I gave it a shot with some air. Heard some nice bubbles out of the rear fuel tank...(probably blew the fuel sock off LOL...But we are planning on replaceing it anyway) So I know the fuel line is clear. I then reattached it, and nailed the carb fuel line with a vacuum pump to see if I could draw fuel up...sure enough? Got some fuel flow. Started the engine again--and it ran for about 20 seconds--and then coughed--died..no fuel.

So we pulled the new pump off, and compaired it with the old pump. Sure enough, dispite the nice letter with the new pump that said "May differ in outward appearence, but will still work"...Was a lieing sack.. the old pump's cam-arm reaches up about another 3/8"...and shows heavy wear on the pump arm. The new pump? The arm had a slight spot where it was touching the cam--and we showed it to Napa? He said "Yep..that pump's not the right one, you can see where the cam lob was just touching the new pump arm".

So basically there was a couple of hours wasted installing--testing--removing the pump. Only to find out? Either some idiot put the wrong pump into the box? Or their catalog is showing the wrong part number!

So my question is....What in the heck is the right fuel pump for this piggy??? I checked the other parts houses, and they all list "6984" (carter manufacter) as the replacement? Another question would be--would we be better off just plating over the hole--and using an electronic fuel pump?

S-

Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Pick your poison.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6256

Fuel pumps are easier to install if the engine (cam eccentric) is in the correct position so there is no pressure on the arm.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
Problem was not the cam arm LOL. The fuel pump replacement had the bolt holes pointing directly at the "bowl" thingie...where as the old pump? The "Thingie" was about 1/2" lower--and you can get to the bolts directly with a ratchet.

I've used Rockauto for just about everything with our probe project (and also plan on using it for this one) However they also list the carter fuel pump with the same wrong part number?!?

If this was not a packing mistake? I will see if they can order in the "Bosch" one...judging by the photo? It looks a lot more like the one we just pulled off.

S-

Old 12-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Mil1ion
New User
There should be some numbers stamped on the housing somewhere.(ie: 4897-SA)
Please Post them here.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
There are #'s on a plate. 4 numbers and a couple of letters that are pretty well not readable. (might be enough to get a match) Currently NAPA has both pumps until tomorrow morning. This napa is a small local operation, and I know the parts guy pretty well. We are going to check the new pump (he ordered in another one from the warehouse) against the old pump. If it's still the wrong arm? We get a refund, and the old pump back.

I did notice when it was trying to start and running for that few moments? Quite a bit of "blow-by" kicking out the valve cover filter hose vent thing. Hopefully the compression test shows decent numbers, otherwise I'll probably wind up re-ringing the engine. (or replacing it)

S-

Old 12-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
Ok, here are the numbers off the fuel pump.

Side of the pump housing has: 0-1932
Big number "8" above that.

Underside of pump has: 1897 or 4897 I can't tell if the first one is a "1" or a "4"

Annoying sticker on the side: D4TE-AA
Along with: 4897 and 27** (I can't make out the ** part, it's worn off)

Now the guy from NAPA ordered in another pump, just in case it was boxed wrong. Turns out it's the right box/part--but it had a noticeable difference with the pump arm when checked against what we pulled off the engine.

Advance Auto is having one sent over from Albany in the morning delivery to compare their "Master Fuel Pump" and see if the arm is the same--or different. He did state clearly that he has seen this problem in the past where the catalogs all got the pump WRONG for a certain ford engine--

So there are the numbers--and here's my response to at least get this ol' girl running until we figure out exactly what we are dealing with--and I'm also asking if anyone can tell me where to find the VIN ID number from the engine/engine block itself. I've got a gut feeling this engine was changed--and that would hose up quite a few parts we need to purchase.

I picked up a universal electric fuel pump. According to the information? It provides 4-7 PSI @ 32 gal./hr. So that should be enough to at least get this engine running without more fuel delivery problems.

Sooooo...Any help with the location of the vin ID will be helpful. And if anyone can make heads or tails out of Fords chicken scratch part numbers? It'll be a great help as well.

Best Regards,

S-

Old 12-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Block casting numbers are down near the starter.
engineering number
xxxx-6015-A

date code ie:
*3K22 *

Heads numbers are in the oil galley.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
I'll see if I can get 'er cleaned up on Sunday. (next day we will be over to work on it) The plan is to get the electronic fuel pump installed provided we can find a blocker plate for the engine. Or we will wind up putting on the old fuel pump with a new gasket--not hooked up to any fuel lines--Just to plug the hole.

I've already picked up a decent oil filter (OEM)(not flim-fram brand)...4 qts of 10w40, and a qt. of Lucas. I figure this fuel pump was leaking gas into the oil for a while. The engine sounds a bit "gritty" but no knocks or severe sounds. I'll change out the oil Sunday as well, and hopefully with some clean non-gassed up oil? It should settle down.

Thanks for the assist!!

S-