General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Hunters Killed

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:37 PM
whistler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johare
As for hunting with automatic rifles, not being a hunter, I can't judge.
Good thing because you do not have the facts straight. There is a big difference between an automatic rifle and a semi-automatic rifle. An automatic weapon will continue to fire for as long as the trigger is depressed. A semi-automatic weapon requires you to release the trigger after each shot fired. Thus it is slower to use but also more controllable. This man was using the latter.

In that case, I would think a single shot rifle would make the experience more sporting and challenging.
I think this is a huge misconception among non-hunters. Once you begin the process of killing something you want it to die. If you are using a single shot rifle and miss completely, no harm no foul. But if you make a poor shot for any reason (nerves, misjudging distance, wind deflection, etc.) and wound an animal your single shot rifle isn't so 'sporting' anymore.

Using a single shot weapon, such as a muzzleloader, is a personal choice and comes with a huge responsibility to ensure a one-shot kill. Using a tool of this nature does not confer some level of nobility to the actions of the hunter whatsoever.

Regardless my heart goes out the the victims and their families.
Mine also.

Whistler

Old 11-23-2004, 05:29 PM
psu1xj
Senior User
Hey,

I first heard about this the other night on NPR while riding home. When I heard the opening line of the story, I cringed, expecting not only a horrible story, but very inflamatory language from the reporters concerning the dangers of guns and hunters.

I was pleasantly (as pleasantly as possible, under the circumstances) surprised to hear a very sympathetic, heartfelt report, which concentrated entirely on the personal/family loss that had been suffered, and that took care to extol the virtues of hunting as a sport and family tradition. They related extended quotes from the local police chief about how peaceful and law-abiding most hunters were, and they pointed out that these kinds of terretorial confrontations happen by the thousands every year during hunting season - with folks crossing unmarked boundaries unawares, or even taking some liberties with borrowing someone else's stand, etc. - and that these things were nearly always resolved peacefully.

When they finished the 2-minute segment I was left with the feeling that I wouldn't have reported it any differently if I was behind the mic.

As rare as it is for me to say this, my hat is off to NPR!

-Sam

Old 11-23-2004, 05:33 PM
AeroPA
Elder User
This link has the latest news about it. It's kind of a compilation of previous reports from the group, and the suspect's claims he was shot at and harassed. I'm just as guilty as anyone in assuming this or that, so I'm just gonna put the link up, and everybody can read for themselves.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/11/23/hu....ap/index.html

Old 11-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
Originally Posted by AeroPA
Leave it be. It's a troll. Move along, folks, nothing to see here.

Number six died last night. And the report says there was probably only one gun in the group. This guy shot a group of unarmed people. Makes you wonder if you need to bring backup into the woods with you these days.
Yeah, I'd say that was true. In any event, this stuff happens on political forums all the time. I know this isn't a political forum, but the idea of trolls is the same regardless of the subject. It is a hard thing to fight the urge to flame/ZOT somebody in any of these places, but it usually pays off.

I am a firm believer that one should always have a backup plan. I just wish it didn't actually have to be used so often.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As for being called names, racial or otherwise.....that does not give one license to kill...period. And thinking logically, even if the group was angry that the dude was trespassing, it's hard to believe that they'd take a shot at him or even past him. But I'm only surmizing, like others here. Incidents like this make the idea of using my Mini 14, with a 40 round clip, as a hunting rifle more appealing, instead of using my .30-.30 or my single shot Handi-rifle. It's pretty spooky, all in all. I guess time will tell us more...and if the survivors can eventually tell their side of the story, it may shed more light on the issue.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:24 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Somewhat "forum-challenged" here....what's a troll?

Old 11-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
Originally Posted by bodabdan
Somewhat "forum-challenged" here....what's a troll?
A troll is an individual who just posts crap up to provoke people. Like I said, this is most common on political forums, not so much on here. Usually responding to trolls makes things worse because it encourages them do do more.

Responding to a troll is frequently referred to as "ZOTting". No clue where that came from.

Last edited by Cowboy Brett; 11-23-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:00 PM
LilFord4x4
Freshman User
Unhappy

Here is the story as told by a young man who was there. This guy graduated from my high school last year. He was related to some of those that were killed. This is the story as he told his former wrestling coach (Physical Science Teacher) that told my Physics teacher while I was in class. Since I knew him I was concerned as he was a huge role model in the high school for his athletic performance and his great personality. I did not know him personally and this is what was said through his E-mail to the teacher.

There were two guys riding their ATV back from hunting and noticed the guy in the tree stand. They went up to him and asked him to leave. He did not know what was said, all he knew was that the guy got out of the stand, walked about 40 yards and turned around and shot at the group. Other people from the cabin were coming out on atvs when the two originally there radioed that the guy was in the stand. When these people arrived it was too late and the guy opened fire on them. Others in the cabin responded as fast as they could by driving a truck to the area and gathering the wounded into a truck and driving them to a gas station 20 miles away. None of the people had a cell phone to contact authorities. For those of you saying that the group should have fired or fired first. All I can say is I don't know who fired first and we probably won't know for a while. He didn't know what started it really either. The only thing I am sure of is that there was only one gun out of the now six dead and two wounded.

More will continue to unfold and we'll hopefully find out more. All I can say is I feel sympathy for that entire family and hope this guy gets what he deserves. Like said before, calling names and using racial slurs does not justify killing six people. Yes, I'm biased because I know one of the pople that was there. All I can say is I wish that this great state of Wisconsin had the death penalty right now.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:10 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder though, if he had a 20 round magazine in his SKS ( i have a 30 rounder which i own for mine but dont have it in there )

or; if the guy simply reloaded one time ??? the sks holds 10 rounds, and a stripper clip holds ten more.

of course, the anti-gunners will just point out the 20 shots, reguarless of the idea that i could hit 8 targets with 8 shots instead of 20

Old 11-23-2004, 09:35 PM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
these people from Laos, they don't understand property rights, they hunt and eat anything and everything...

isnt' that what the indians were saying about white people 100 years ago when folks killed buffalo by the thousands, chopped down every tree in sight, and cut the prairie into 1mile square sections

are we mad here this guy killed a bunch of people or because people from Laos don't seem to understand you have to pay for the wildlife you take?

Old 11-23-2004, 09:46 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is an article of interest on this issue http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...?storyid=72061. In particular, point, click, and read on the item called "documents filed Tuesday". I'll tell ya what, you can't shoot at someone just because they are yelling racial slurs at ya, but you also can't just let someone shoot at you or in your direction, purposefully, and not respond accordingly. What happened after Vang turned and fired two shots at the man that shot at him is where he's got a huge problem. He kept shooting. This assumes that Vang is telling the truth. And finally, remember that the investigation is not yet over and the "documents filed today" are just ***** statement, not the outcome of the investigation.

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 11-23-2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:54 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,616 Likes on 1,318 Posts
Yea, if the coppers are worth their salt, they will be able to figure out where shots came from and the firearm that fired them.

This is a terrible thing; there will be no end of the sorrow in our time.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:18 AM
AeroPA
Elder User
Originally Posted by websthes
these people from Laos, they don't understand property rights, they hunt and eat anything and everything...

--snipped for brevity--

are we mad here this guy killed a bunch of people or because people from Laos don't seem to understand you have to pay for the wildlife you take?

Read some of the news articles. The only reason that would have any bearing at all is to give some background to explain the tensions that exist in that area between the locals and the Hmong community.

I don't live there, so it's not up to me to decide how much animosity there is toward the Hmongs. And we certainly don't know about past confrontations between the two groups.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:21 AM
johare
Elder User
Thanks to Whistler for the clarification regarding semi-automatic and automatic rifles. And he raises a valid point regarding hunting with semi-automatics. I do not wish for animals to be wounded or maimed and the hunter not able to complete the kill. Even though I do not hunt or own guns, I respect others right to do so.

However, the real point I was raising is that we should not generalize or stereotype people. My real issue is that as humans, we should respect all peoples. The fact that Mr. Vang is Hmong should have no bearing on the case. He is a human being. While racial/ethnic slurs are despicable, they are not just cause for murder. The only cause I could surmise for Mr. Vang firing on the hunters is in self defense (if the hunters fired first - will we ever know?) and multiple shots at multiple people seems excessive for self defense. Still, by our system of justice, Mr. Vang is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Let's not make blanket judgements about Hmong and any other ethnic peoples nor against hunters. If we all respected others as humans regardless of differences, these tragic incidents would be much less likely to occur. In the words of a recent country song, "You do your thing, I'll do mine!" True words as long as we do our things with respect for others!

Old 11-24-2004, 10:11 AM
LonnieD
Elder User
Shooting

Amen....keep in mind Automatics are against the law in all states. I sure hope this gets some resolution soon. It's died off in the news out here...

Quick Reply: Hunters Killed