Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Brand loyalty

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 05:04 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
The ranger thing is news to me. But I will accept it and move on. I dont like compact pickups that much.

I dont know where pro gm came from. I dont like their styling. Im pro me. And pro inline six. If it fits me and has an I6. Ill buy it. Ive owned over a dozen inlines. Love em. Reliable and durable. Forget about hp though. LOL. They tend to hold an auto well though due to the powerband.

Im a ford man through and through. They never shoulda discontinued the 300. Last brand new ford I bought was a 96 300. Last model year of production for the almighty inline. In the last 8 years. I have not bought a ford that was made after 96. NOTGONNADOIT. Wouldnt be prudent. Now gm is back in inlineville. Better fuel economy you know.

The toyota gets as much as 5 more mpg than the sable. 6000 is steep though. I checked resale and you recoup a lot of that 6000 back. Similarly equipped 99s would fetch 11400 and 8400 respectively. So your paying 3000 dollars more to get better mileage and above average quality.
So why wont you buy anything after 96 thats Ford. Yeh the six was discontinued as well as the 350 Chevy whuch in my opinion is way better then any GM motor today. The 4.6 is a verydurable gas motor. There have been many of those that have gone 150,000 miles plus with no problems Ive heard on at present that has 230,000 miles. A ford man not going to buy any newer Ford. I guess you wont be a Ford man forever. Me I wouldnt buy anything else. Fords got the best quality truck period always have always will. Looks like 700,000 people agree with me

Old 10-21-2004, 05:52 PM
calgary_redneck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 150ford
So why wont you buy anything after 96 thats Ford. Yeh the six was discontinued as well as the 350 Chevy whuch in my opinion is way better then any GM motor today. The 4.6 is a verydurable gas motor. There have been many of those that have gone 150,000 miles plus with no problems Ive heard on at present that has 230,000 miles. A ford man not going to buy any newer Ford. I guess you wont be a Ford man forever. Me I wouldnt buy anything else. Fords got the best quality truck period always have always will. Looks like 700,000 people agree with me
150ford I can not think of a single person that this threat represents more than you. You blindly follow ford and defend everything they do to an embarrising degree. Stating that ford is the best quality truck on the road is the hieght of ignorance in is quite laughable, sure ford trucks have some good points but so do the other makes. I don't know how you define reliable other than your own personal (very limited experiance) which is in the big pictures of the millions of trucks sold means very very little. I you define reliablity as problems per number of trucks sold then ford in no way wins not buy any test results. If you claim long term durablity it gets a little fuzzier how ever many of the toyota trucks have done 150 000+ miles to as well as the lexus cars with the 4l engine it is based on and still run like new, as for the nissan no one knows as it is so new but the chev vortec 350 has reached very very high milage on many trucks as well as the new ls1 based line so I'm afraid your point holds very little water. I will also point out that although the mod 4.6 is reasonably durrable in stock form its weak bottom end quicking surfaces in racing application which I could rag on it for if I was like you.

Old 10-21-2004, 05:54 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I dont know where pro gm came from. I dont like their styling. Im pro me. And pro inline six. If it fits me and has an I6. Ill buy it. Ive owned over a dozen inlines. Love em. Reliable and durable. Forget about hp though. LOL. They tend to hold an auto well though due to the powerband..

Im a ford man through and through. They never shoulda discontinued the 300. Last brand new ford I bought was a 96 300. Last model year of production for the almighty inline. In the last 8 years. I have not bought a ford that was made after 96. NOTGONNADOIT. Wouldnt be prudent. Now gm is back in inlineville. Better fuel economy you know...
Ironically, there's a lot of GM people that sorely miss the old 4.3 V6, which was really just a 350 V8 minus the back two cylinders. They were both great engines. The new inline is quiet and smooth, but soft on torque.

The toyota gets as much as 5 more mpg than the sable. 6000 is steep though. I checked resale and you recoup a lot of that 6000 back. Similarly equipped 99s would fetch 11400 and 8400 respectively. So your paying 3000 dollars more to get better mileage and above average quality.
With rebates and finance incentives on the Sable, I wonder if $6K is a real number right now? I go back to one of my car-buying rules though- buy the import new, buy the domestic slightly used, since the deprectiation rates are breathtaking on the left-coast. Betcha I can snag a used '03-'04 Sable for closer to $10-13K less than a new Camry. Personally, I'd pass on both and go directly to another Grand Marquis.

We've owned 4 Honda Accords since the late 70's, and they all been very economical and troublefree. But, along with that 4 mpg mileage difference, you also pay for the Accord with increased road noise, a tight back seat, and limited trunk space. If you spring for the 6-cylinder Camry, the Marquis will actually get better gas mileage.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:02 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by calgary_redneck
I will also point out that although the mod 4.6 is reasonably durrable in stock form its weak bottom end quicking surfaces in racing application which I could rag on it for if I was like you.
And this matters in a truck???
Even in a mustang, if the engine is good stock, what more can you ask for?
Do you expect Ford engineers to start designing engines so you can install a superchager and NOS, and get over 1000hp with the stock block?
That is only going to drive production and design costs through the roof, meaning the car will cost YOU more.
And this is coming from the owner of a 700hp 5.4 modular engine...
I modified my engine knowing full well that reliability and durability have gone out the window, and do I care a bit, NO

Old 10-21-2004, 06:30 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Are we talking racing or stock...I'm confused

Old 10-21-2004, 06:48 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
calgary_redneck was saying that the 4.6l isn't durable in racing applications.
I was just saying that its durability in racing applications is irrelivant...

Old 10-21-2004, 07:17 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calgary_redneck
150ford I can not think of a single person that this threat represents more than you. You blindly follow ford and defend everything they do to an embarrising degree. Stating that ford is the best quality truck on the road is the hieght of ignorance in is quite laughable, sure ford trucks have some good points but so do the other makes. I don't know how you define reliable other than your own personal (very limited experiance) which is in the big pictures of the millions of trucks sold means very very little. I you define reliablity as problems per number of trucks sold then ford in no way wins not buy any test results. If you claim long term durablity it gets a little fuzzier how ever many of the toyota trucks have done 150 000+ miles to as well as the lexus cars with the 4l engine it is based on and still run like new, as for the nissan no one knows as it is so new but the chev vortec 350 has reached very very high milage on many trucks as well as the new ls1 based line so I'm afraid your point holds very little water. I will also point out that although the mod 4.6 is reasonably durrable in stock form its weak bottom end quicking surfaces in racing application which I could rag on it for if I was like you.
No different on the Dodge forums or the Chevy forums. There are loyalists over there as well as most people on this forum are. Hey Im an enthusiast. I love Ford. This is my opinion nobody elses. Sorry if my comments offend you. Many other people on this site say the same thing. Why should I be singled out. Why are you here anyway to stir up the fires. I stand by what I said. Ford has the best truck. I have limited experience. How do you know that? Ive had plenty of experience. Ive had 5 Ford trucks since high school. I have had no problems with any of them. Sounds like some experience there.

Last edited by 150ford; 10-21-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:21 PM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ringo Fonebone
Was this one of those POS Mexican-made Rangers? I would not be surprised to hear that about one of them, in fact I HAVE, before!
I don't think so...I believe it was built in New Jersey (is that possible?)

Scott

Old 10-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Im looking at picking up an old s10 for a work truck. Needs a 4.3 to get it going.

I can be a ford guy and not buy new fords. I just buy old fords. Pick and choose wisely young grasshopper. Its weird to me that someone could be so shortsighted.. I want ford 300s. I will continue to seek them out and buy them. Still a ford guy. Just old fords. Pre emissions diesels too.

I dont consider a gas engine any good unless it can pull 300k without lifting the head. 150 to 230 is not enough to impress me. 350 and I might raise an eyebrow.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:53 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. That's one main reason I am going to try to get 400k out of my 4.6 before I do anything to it. I believe that if you pay what we paid for our trucks, you should get your money's worth. I like my 300, but it lacks a little in power. It sure ain't going to die, though.

Old 10-22-2004, 01:17 AM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
I don't understand why the 4Runner is #4 and the Tacoma is #135. I was under the impression that they are the exact same vehicle but SUV vs. Truck. Like what the F-250 is to the Excursion.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:10 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
I dunno, I have seen 4runners loaded to the gills with selectable lockers and V8s and everything. I haven't seen a Tacoma like that. Maybe it's the same as the Tundra?

Old 10-22-2004, 02:23 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DieselDonor7.3
I don't understand why the 4Runner is #4 and the Tacoma is #135. I was under the impression that they are the exact same vehicle but SUV vs. Truck. Like what the F-250 is to the Excursion.
Just a thought- one's made in Japan, one over here?

Old 10-23-2004, 12:52 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Good point, polarbear.

Old 10-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Quick anecdote.
Toyota has two identical factories. One in Japan and one in the US. They are identical in every way except for one thing. Can you tell me what the difference is? Think about it for a second then read on.

The plant in Japan has room for four defective vehicles. The ones that come off the assembly line and are not perfect. The plant in the US has room for one thousand defective vehicles. Think long and hard about that.

Quick Reply: Brand loyalty