2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rail Caps

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 06:12 PM
PhordPhan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rail Caps

Is there something out there besides Armor All to keep the rail caps looking good? I've never been a big fan of Armor All b/c it makes things WAY too slick.

Thanks.

Jeff

Old 07-10-2004, 06:41 PM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
I'm pretty sure that Armor All has different finishes now besides the original slick look, and there is always Son of a Gun and others. Just look at the car care section in your auto parts store

Old 07-10-2004, 07:10 PM
rts9364
Senior User
Mothers "Back to Black" is by far the best stuff I have used for trim (and bed rails).

Old 07-11-2004, 07:45 PM
PhordPhan
Freshman User
Can I find Mothers at Pep Boys or Auto Zone?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 07-11-2004, 08:32 PM
zer0cool
Senior User
I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Autozone. I've been using the Armor-All wipes. They don't leave it too shiny and it's easy to get it just where you want.

Old 07-11-2004, 09:54 PM
zthisstang
New User
Lightbulb Keeping rail caps and rubber seals nice looking w/out

the dusty slime of Armor-All and other types of dust attracting sprays.........

Well a good thing to keep them looking new is to wash them in a mixture of Kerosene and mild soap and water. This is good for the paint as well. Will help strip the wax for a new wax job and will take any swirl marks out of the paint surface.fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>

I know you think I am crazy but I learned this from one that runs a paint and body shop for one of the biggest Ford dealers in the DFW. He also shows allot of cars. He told me of this and well my black Mustang at the time looked very good after these tips from him. I now have a 04 F150 and have washed it with the same mix as before and the mix helps keep the plastics looking good and the rubber seals in good shape. Works as good as Armor-All but without the shinny dust collecting film<O></O>

<O></O>

When mixing is use about a half a cup of kerosene to about one wash bucket of soap and water.<O></O>

<O> </O>

Don’t think its hard to rinse as it is the same as just rinsing normal soap and water.<O></O>

Old 07-12-2004, 08:49 AM
FordRuss
Senior User
Originally Posted by zthisstang
the dusty slime of Armor-All and other types of dust attracting sprays.........

Well a good thing to keep them looking new is to wash them in a mixture of Kerosene and mild soap and water. This is good for the paint as well. Will help strip the wax for a new wax job and will take any swirl marks out of the paint surface.fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>

I know you think I am crazy but I learned this from one that runs a paint and body shop for one of the biggest Ford dealers in the DFW. He also shows allot of cars. He told me of this and well my black Mustang at the time looked very good after these tips from him. I now have a 04 F150 and have washed it with the same mix as before and the mix helps keep the plastics looking good and the rubber seals in good shape. Works as good as Armor-All but without the shinny dust collecting film<O></O>

<O></O>

When mixing is use about a half a cup of kerosene to about one wash bucket of soap and water.<O></O>

<O> </O>

Don’t think its hard to rinse as it is the same as just rinsing normal soap and water.<O></O>

Right.... First Post & you're telling folks how to strip their paint??

If you're not a troll, welcome to FTE & post some pics of your vehicle finish

Old 07-12-2004, 05:22 PM
zthisstang
New User
Originally Posted by FordRuss
Right.... First Post & you're telling folks how to strip their paint??

If you're not a troll, welcome to FTE & post some pics of your vehicle finish
well I will have to get some pics of the car and will have to take some pics of the new truck. This that I said to do will not hurt the paint. The paint is a petrolium base just as the kero is. The mix shouldnt be to strong and it is flamible so dont smoke while washing.

Old 07-12-2004, 05:41 PM
TX-Import
Junior User
I use the eagle one wax as you dry every wash between the good old fashion wash and it maintains the plastic finish pretty well. I usually spary it on the painted surfaces and then use a shammy to dry the pannels and then wipe off the plastic parts. It also helps later with the bugs and any road tar/grease.

Hey zthisthang, I am new to the DFW area and looking for a good Ford dealer to service my new screw. To whom above were you referencing. You can send me an email under the members link if you do not wish to post a name outrignt. I need to have the throttle response checked and the slip yolk (clunk at take off) done at my first service interval.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:12 AM
dgordon
Junior User
Hey PhordPhan,
I agree with TX-Import. Use the Eagle One "Wax As You Dry" product. This product is super. I use it on the molded mud guards, the rubber around the windows, the rail caps, windows, chrome, everywhere! It makes those areas seem like they have a conditioner on them without the slick, dust catching, sticky look. It keeps the areas looking new. Ever had water/soap spots on your windows or truck due to the sun drying them before you wipe them down? "Wax As You Dry" takes care of that!