1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Jag XJ IFS

Old 05-28-2004, 05:45 PM
av8ford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jag XJ IFS

I would like to contact you with regard to a couple of matters. I've been a member of this board for over a month and a half (4-14-04) but am blocked from e-mailing other members for whom I've had pictorial information for a question they've posted. (I've also been blocked from contacting you by e-mail for the same reasons given -- not on the board long enough/not enough messages posted.

Also, I would like to know how I might contribute to the "alternate suspension" thread. I'm a semi-retired motor-journalist, part-time pro Ford hot-rod builder, have had F-1 and F-100 pickups (usually not entirely stock) since the late '50s, and will soon be doing and documenting an alternative suspension that was not covered in your forum -- Series 3 Jaguar (XJ6/XJS). It's one of the simplest conversions to be made, using the front and rear suspension subframes from the car, and providing probably the best ride and handling characteristics possible for F-1/F-100 Ford trucks. We're designing bolt-on brackets for the installation system to make it as simple and accessible as possible.

TIA for your consideration.

Mike Bishop

Old 05-28-2004, 06:17 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Kenny
I'll vouch for the guy, I've been reading his stuff for years. He's one whole big bunch of information and expierence just waiting for us to ask.

Google this; "mike bishop" ford

Last edited by 4tl8ford; 05-28-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:43 PM
av8ford
Junior User
It IS a small world after all . . .

You're one of the persons I wanted to e-mail some pictures to, about porting and relieving your recently cleaned block!

I think it's neat when guys are doing their own block work. I do 25-30 blocks a year for guys who prefer to pay to have it done (I'm not complaining, understand), but I can't help but think while I'm doing it, all the fun and satisfaction they're missing. Porting is the Zen of flathead motor building.

So, just as soon as Ken clears my "passport", I'll get back to you with some pictures and descriptions of what we're doing on this end of the country.

BTW, thanks a whole lot for the good words and the thumbs-up!

Mike

Old 05-28-2004, 06:51 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Not to hijack the thread, but very nice truck! I'm pretty sure your a "H.A.M.Ber"? Anyways, a delayed welcome, sounds like you know your stuff, -4speed

Old 05-28-2004, 08:06 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 712 Likes on 256 Posts
welcome and glad to see you here

Hi Mike,

been reading your stuff ( I scan the authors names in all the shiny paper mags for your byline... read them all...and always your input to the HAMB... it's good to see such a well known builder join us... doubt if we can teach YOU much... but I'm sure we can pick you clean... I for one have a few questions on the writing side of your expertise...

We're not quite as RAW as the HAMBers... but no ones afraid to give or take a shot here. We just do everything good naturedly... and what I read on the HAMB board you do the same....

Welcome to the FTE ... make yourself at home...

John

Old 05-28-2004, 08:33 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, Mike. Wondered when you would find yourself among us 48-60 guys here after seeing your F-1 on the HAMB. We certainly welcome your expertise... there is no shortage of that here... and I, for one, rely on that to keep my jalopy running. best. himmelberg

Old 05-28-2004, 09:06 PM
av8ford
Junior User
Thanks for the attaboys, boys. I've done some lurking here even before I signed on and rather enjoy the collective casual attitude I see on this board. This appears to be a happy hangout, and I look forward to being able to fully participate.

Old 05-29-2004, 04:35 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
"You're one of the persons I wanted to e-mail some pictures to, about porting and relieving your recently cleaned block"

Mike

If your referencing your article posted at: www.flatheadv8.org/bishop/porting1.htm
I already have that information.
Seems as if while reading it on the web sometime ago it somehow fell off the web and into my computer, to include all pictures. (Oh Well, I haven't been to jail yet this year)

Thanks
4TL8Ford

Old 05-29-2004, 05:14 AM
scrape
Senior User
hi mike, welcome i am fitting series 2 front and rears into 56 chassis at the moment, i would be interested to see how u mount the rear and still keep it tidy, the engineers are fairly strict down here about fitting different suspension, so it would be nice to look at this through anothers eyes.
i have been thinking of reproducing the cross member so it fits/looks better but utilizes coilovers instead, for although it neatly fits a 34" frame the tapered tower is bugging me, if i fill the voide between the tower and frame a nut needs to be welded in to help compress the spring when needed. any thoughts?
cya..gary

Old 05-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the '48-60 forum!

I have sent you an e-mail, so that you can e-mail me directly. I also made the administrators aware that you are experiencing some technical difficulties. They are the guys who would be able to help you with site/e-mail related problems.

The Alternate suspension thread (tech article) was actually a compilation of work that was put together by a great group of guys from this forum. To add to it, would actually be up to them.
If that could be worked out with them, I'd be more than happy to do the work on my end.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:22 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by av8ford
I would like to contact you with regard to a couple of matters. I've been a member of this board for over a month and a half (4-14-04) but am blocked from e-mailing other members for whom I've had pictorial information for a question they've posted. (I've also been blocked from contacting you by e-mail for the same reasons given -- not on the board long enough/not enough messages posted.

Also, I would like to know how I might contribute to the "alternate suspension" thread. I'm a semi-retired motor-journalist, part-time pro Ford hot-rod builder, have had F-1 and F-100 pickups (usually not entirely stock) since the late '50s, and will soon be doing and documenting an alternative suspension that was not covered in your forum -- Series 3 Jaguar (XJ6/XJS). It's one of the simplest conversions to be made, using the front and rear suspension subframes from the car, and providing probably the best ride and handling characteristics possible for F-1/F-100 Ford trucks. We're designing bolt-on brackets for the installation system to make it as simple and accessible as possible.

TIA for your consideration.

Mike Bishop
Mike,

Curious if you ever did anything with the Jag IFS. I am considering same.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:48 PM
halfdone
Senior User
This is a REALLY common swap down under.

Easiest swap in the history of the world !

The whole front end including rack etc just rolls under and sits directly under the chassis rails. two bolt holes for the rear mounts and a couple of tabs for the front mounts and you are done.

I will find a link to an aussie forum, and post it later

Old 11-21-2005, 08:05 PM
halfdone
Senior User
Couldn't find the one I was after, but here is a pretty good link:

http://www.geocities.com/hotrodder1938/chopper.html

Old 11-21-2005, 08:14 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Hello Mr. Bishop,

Are you the same Mike Bishop that wrote the book "How to restore and Modify your 1953-56 Ford F100"?

Old 11-21-2005, 08:41 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by halfdone
Couldn't find the one I was after, but here is a pretty good link:

http://www.geocities.com/hotrodder1938/chopper.html
This forum and a number of us in particular could really use any pix and other info on the Jag sedan front end installation. I saved the pix in the above website for my planned installation. Thanks! I tried to get it in the front suspension writeup, however I have not done it myself-YET! and there was no interest at that time. I have a XJ front end that I plan to put under my 49 F-1. I arrived at the decision to attempt it on my own when I bought the front end 15 years ago. I have been storing it all that time. The time has come!! I absolutely agree with some of the above posts that it appears to be the easiest and lowest cost IRS that you could put under our trucks. The hardest part appears to be fabbing an upper shock mount. And oh by the way Jag is now a Ford!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jag XJ IFS