1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Jag XJ IFS

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 01:31 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to be a devil's advocate here, but watch out for repair/replacement part costs rebuilding the Jag IFS.....

Old 11-22-2005, 02:00 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Originally Posted by ferguson777
Not to be a devil's advocate here, but watch out for repair/replacement part costs rebuilding the Jag IFS.....

I have thought that myself. It's so cheap to buy, but it must be expensive to rebuild (Just because it is a Jag ). Hmmm........I dun't know though. Maybe someone with this experience will chime in.

hotrod48

Old 11-22-2005, 02:29 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hotrod48
The title has been changed now. I would like to know more info on this install as would everyone else. I like the straight axle because it is nostalgic (Which I guess the Jag is somewhat nostalgic too). If this Jag setup is cheap and has a good ride, I would be interested. Might be time to sell some of my Mustang II parts.

texan, where in Texas are you? I found a front clip off a XJ6 last night that was in Fort Worth. I can find it again if you are interested.

hotrod48
I'm near Houston. Sounds like it's about half way between us. How much did they want for it?? I'll probably spend some time looking around here before I start looking elsewhere for them.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:48 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
I will say though - I don't know about the models being discussed here, but the old XKE IFS components were sure sweet looking. Cast aluminum. Very light and gracefull. Almost a shame to hide it under full fenders.....

Old 11-22-2005, 03:28 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
texan, I assume this is the entire front frame section. Here it is, I found it on car-part.com.

1994 Jaguar XJ 6
2WD Front Axle Beam
$135
Stock# 000122067
A & I Auto Recyclers USA-TX(Ft.-Worth) 1-817-516-9090

That is basically how it was listed. Need anymore, let me know.

hotrod48

Old 11-22-2005, 06:10 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hotrod48
texan, I assume this is the entire front frame section. Here it is, I found it on car-part.com.

1994 Jaguar XJ 6
2WD Front Axle Beam
$135
Stock# 000122067
A & I Auto Recyclers USA-TX(Ft.-Worth) 1-817-516-9090

That is basically how it was listed. Need anymore, let me know.

hotrod48
Hotrod,

Thanks for the lead. I think that this is what I am looking for and the price is right. I'm assuming you are not ready to pull the trigger or you would be grabbing this without sharing with us. I'll call tomorrow to ask for more details unless you are thinking about it.

I'm wondering if this includes the brakes, etc.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:45 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Originally Posted by texan2004
Hotrod,

Thanks for the lead. I think that this is what I am looking for and the price is right. I'm assuming you are not ready to pull the trigger or you would be grabbing this without sharing with us. I'll call tomorrow to ask for more details unless you are thinking about it.

I'm wondering if this includes the brakes, etc.
It's all yours. I don't currently have the funds for it. I still need to rebuild a tranny and a rear end. I don't know if it would include the brakes or not. Keep us updated on it.

hotrod48

Old 11-23-2005, 02:25 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're fitting a Jag IFS or IRS you should take a look at this site, there is some useful info on there

http://www.uk-hotrods.co.uk/garage_s...e/page%201.htm

It's by fellow Brit Holmsey who has been on this forum in the past

Stephen

Old 11-23-2005, 04:30 AM
halfdone
Senior User
I made a couple of calls today and confirmed that the XJ6 and XJ12 do NOT have upper shock mounts on the crossmember.......so when you swap them you will need to fabricate/fit a shock mount.

Jaguars are absolute rust magnets, so over here you can normally pick up a whole car cheap, strip the front and rear ends and smiths guages, dump the shell etc.....you then clean up the Jag rear end and sell it to a Hot Rodder for what you paid for the Jag.......free front end and whatever you get for the guages is a bonus

Rebuild bit are more expensive than most "domestic" products, probably the same there. But the front end swap is so much simpler than a chassis graft it pays for it self in less stress

The other swap that is popular here is a GM product called Holden, which is the same basic design as Nova/Camaro. Lots more work, and the turning circle is usually HUGE........sorry about all the offensive words in this paragraph

Old 11-23-2005, 06:48 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_B
If you're fitting a Jag IFS or IRS you should take a look at this site, there is some useful info on there

http://www.uk-hotrods.co.uk/garage_scene_stuff/me/page%201.htm

It's by fellow Brit Holmsey who has been on this forum in the past

Stephen
Steve,
Thanks for forwarding the above website! It is a big help for me and others I expect. I am going to install the IFS but not the IRS. My rear is a 9 inch rear. As the pix tell, the IRS is considerably more work to install that the IFS (you have to fab the locating crossmember completely for the rear). It is noteworthy that the 48-52 front frame is 2 inches narrower that the later frames and as such, the 4 mounting locations for the jag crossmember are very close to being centered directly under the frame (within a 1/4" by my quick measurements). There was a wealth of good info in the above website, thanks again. I was feeling a little bit like the Lone Ranger here on the other side of the pond.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:35 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Can this be added to the reference thread or stickied to the top some how?

Old 11-23-2005, 08:28 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
IIRC the reason the rear was so much work is that he elected to remove the original cage which provided all the parts and mounting points he fabbed. A lot of builders elect to remove the cage since it looks like something that would be better suited holdinging up a bridge.

Old 11-23-2005, 09:16 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Originally Posted by AXracer
IIRC the reason the rear was so much work is that he elected to remove the original cage which provided all the parts and mounting points he fabbed. A lot of builders elect to remove the cage since it looks like something that would be better suited holdinging up a bridge.
Ax...good point about the cage. For an IFS/IRS to work properly, the chassis has to be very stiff. If you jack up one "front" wheel, the "rear" wheel on that side should be off the ground also. If its not you need to box or x-member some more. IMO.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:15 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Well. it's pretty good and much better and far more detailed than anything else we have so far. Thank you for posting it. I think it will be quite helpful actually.

I just wish he would have included a glossary for some of the UK slang but I'm sure he never figured a couple of guys in the US would ever use it as a guideline for putting Jag front-ends in trucks over here.

Gotta give him big credit for putting the steering on the correct side of the truck. I'm sure the draw of the "right - err wrong" side was hard to resist.

This truck, like others we've seen with this suspension, is still not known to be on the road and driven. I will be following his progress though.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:25 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I agree with AX on the original cage. I did not mention it in my post but the cage is butt ugly and essentially no one usses it.

Quick Reply: Jag XJ IFS