1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble with 2000 f250 superduty

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 02:03 PM
bradlyberg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a F250 "Superduty" because of what the truck was supossed to be. My truck is 20 months old and has 44,000 miles on it. I have had the truck in 3 times to have my rotors turned, and this last time they had to replace 1 rotor. My bearings were replaced in the front wheels, and some shaft that has to do with 4x4 had to be replaced. My bill at the dealer last week was $721.00 ON A BRAND NEW "SUPERDUTY". My front leaf springs were squeeking terrible, that was fixed. My power steering doesn't work sometimes. Imagine that! My cupholder had to be replaced after dealer tried fixing it several times. I have "pushbutton" 4x4, and the vacuum seals went out on that. Dealer said they see that very often. Now to top it all off, I have found that the drivers door and passenger door are both starting to rust out on the bottom. Fords policy is not to do anything about it until there are actual holes. Or in other words until warranty runs out on that!!!
If you are considering a Ford, think twice. I had a 1993 f150 and had nothing but problems with that truck as well. I will never own another. Also owned a 1998 Dodge quad cab with the 360, not a bit of problems in 40,000 miles. I take care of my trucks but I also don't baby them. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TOO...Brad

Old 03-27-2001, 02:12 PM
rob_n_houston
Senior User

If you loved the Dodge...you should have stuck with it. I would have.

Good Luck,
Rob

1999 F-250 SD CC V-10 LWB SRW 4X4 Lariat Red clear coat 33x12.5 on 16.5x10.5" wheels K&N

Old 03-27-2001, 04:37 PM
fishing_maniac
Junior User

Why does everyone make generalizations about a bad experience that they have had and feel that they now are in a position to recommend to others to avoid a certain brand? I own a F250 Super Duty V10 4.30 auto and love it! The only problem was sqawking front springs but those are fixed now. Otherwise, trouble free! I too use to own a Dodge 1996 4x4 and had so many problems that I knew the service department better than my own family! True, I will never buy another Dodge but that is me. I have friends with all major brands of trucks; some love them, some hate them. I think I had a lemon but hey, if you like your Dodge-drive it. But please, don't generalize about all Fords. Every brand will have some trucks that are just lemons.I personally have never owned a more reliable truck!

Old 03-27-2001, 07:18 PM
bradlyberg
New User

Maybe I'm just blowing off some steam. I really like my truck, I just hate all the problems that I am having with it. I thought Ford said that it was a "SUPERDUTY"???????
I called Ford motor customer service to talk about my problems. It was like talking to a wall. The person on the other end kept repeating themselves and would not answer questions directly, just like my dealer did. They keep saying that they are sorry and that everything is being kept on record. That really does not make me feel any better.
I realize that there are a lot of you extremely happy with your Fords. I AM NOT!!! I cannot support a company that does not take care of their customers...Brad

Old 03-28-2001, 10:57 AM
v10lemon
New User

I understand your frustration. Perhaps if these other guy's would read the postings about other frustrated super duty owners and if it happened to them they would understand better. I also love my truck. I have had chevys all my lifr. Its the dealers I do not like. Hey fishing maniac, how would you like to have a 99 sd 4x4 crew cab with 54k on it and out of warantee and the dealer tells you you need a new motor for about $ 6,500.00? I would expect a different tune. WQe all luv our trucks but are getting screwed by ford. This is supposed to be a Super Duty. You see the dealer ( at least mine, Jim Click Ford in Tucson) has been telling me the noise in my motor is normal since I bought it. They were very cautious not to write down noise in motor when I had it in for warantee work for other items. I believed them . Now the noise is even louder and getting worse and I went back to them and they laid the new motor thing on me. The service manager was as cold as ice. I said you mean I need a new motor 40,000 before my first scheduled tune up? he said yes. I said there'e something wrong here. He didn't think so. I later found out from my mevhanic it was piston slap. Got on this website and found a wealth of info on it. The tsb says any motors before April 15, 98 had pistons that were out of tolerance. They claimed to have fixed it. It also says windsor will replace the motor at no charge. ( if that what it takes and I bitch a lot). Well Ford doesn't see it that way. Seems windsor doesn't give them enough hrs to r&i the motor. By the way. my truck was built in March 98 and the motor was built on Marsh 9. 98. Clearly it falls within the period that warrants a new motor. I have also had brake problems. I don't even tow much at all. I have had new rotors, 3 sets of pads and I still have pulsation when I hit the pedal. They intentionally lied to me to get me out of the warantee period. I asked the service mgr if there were any known problems with the truck motor ( v10) he sais , with a straight face absolutely not. I do agree with the fishing guy that all major manufacturers have problems. This is a service issue. It doesn't matter what the emblem is on the truck. If they stand behind it all is well. I looked at the website alldata and found 40 items related to my truck that were issues, When I first bought it there were problems with the 4wd computer. Hey fishin man, how would you like to have just layed down 40,000 on a truck and drive out in the country and have no 4 wheel drive? Oh yes get stuck and towed out by a 1980 chevy. How would you like to be cross town, on pavement and have your truck suddenly dump itself into low 4 wd? How about on the freeway and have it go into 4 wd. This all happened. Ford denied there was a problem to my face, when in fact there was a tsb saying it was a problem but they didn't know how to fix it!. the tsb sais clear the computer and tell the customer it is ok. Point is the dealer lied. Just like they are lying about the motor problems. For the super duty the piston slap is a problem, It has been happening to the triton v-8's since 97 and they don't know about it!. The alignment and the brakes are also issues. I am oin my 3rd set of tires and the fronts are cupping again. But this is just normal. Ha. I do love my truck. It looks as if it were driven off the showroom floor yesterday. It is clean. Its a shame to look at it and know the motor is bad. I hope all goes well with your truck. I do understant your frustration. Its a shame others do not. Thanks Fred

Old 03-28-2001, 03:12 PM
fishing_maniac
Junior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 28-Mar-01 AT 04:21 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 28-Mar-01 AT 04:19 PM (EST)[/font]

Hey Guys,
I do understand your anger more than you think. My 96 D__gde
had more problems than most people would ever believe: camshaft sensors, oxygen sensors, cat con., fuel pump(left me stranded that time), Transmission, rear end back lash problems, sudden acceleration, smoking brakes(unloaded yet), windshield wiper pump, a broken door beam(weld broke), over heating problems, power window quit... . The list goes on! Oh, by the way, I had only 21 000 miles on it when I bought the Ford.
Fred, I too would be choked at the dealer for stalling you off and the poor PR from Ford, but again, it does not reflect all the Ford trucks. I am sorry for the garbage you have had to put up with. I did not mean to imply that you should not be angry--I would be too! Actually, I paid $49 000 for mine including tax so if I had your troubles, angry would not be the word I would use! All I can say is good luck and I hope that your next truck and dealer does a better job. Oh yeah, the Chevy towing you---OUCH! That would have hurt
Tim

Old 03-30-2001, 01:05 PM
okie
New User

Jim Click Ford. I lived in Tucson for 4 years, owned a 1989 Granada. I bought the car in California just before moving to Tucson. Jim Click Ford had a reputation, even in California, of being a shoddy dealer. My experience with them was the same on my car as you had on your truck...lead you on 'til the warranty runs out. I've owned six chevies, 2 dodges and 3 Fords. They have all had problems from major to minor and I've only found the dealer in the small town I live in now to worthy of a recommendation. Dealer's have a vested interest in pushing you out of warranty. Anyway, I have a 2000 F250 SD and like it. I would not own a Dodge or a Chevy for the reason you're pi__ed off at Ford. I got so mad at a Dodge I drove it into a tree. The best "luck", if you will, I've had with any vehicle brand has been the Fords I own. I had thought that the power train warranty was longer than 3/36 but maybe I'm wrong. Call the CEO of Ford...I did once and he will listen. Good luck

Old 03-30-2001, 02:49 PM
ryno073
New User