Oil & Lubrication  

Lucas oil stabilizer:another gimmick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:57 PM
FERacing66
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, superrangerman you didnt answer fordfans question. explain why this rebottled gear oil helps transmissions? or can you?

Old 02-19-2004, 04:18 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lucas engine treatment is for engines, although they say it's for transmissions too. I say that because they have a different product for transmissions, called Lucas Transmission Fix.

I wouldn't put the engine treatment in any automatic transmission. Transmission fluids have a specific amount of friction modifiers, to allow clutches and bands to engage firmly. When a heavier oil is added with EP additives, it may make it quieter for a while if it's worn out, but you'll soon burn up things such as intermediate bands.

In a manual transmission, it may just work. Not knowing the complete composition of it makes it hard to say, but I do know it contains sulpher and phosphorus, strongly suggesting that it contains EP additives of the type used in gear oil. Look at the MSDS and note the decomposition products. Not only that, it's made of thicker oil than the ATF used in most modern manual transmissions. This alone will quiet it down quite a bit. So it may be of some advantage to use it in a manual. But I still say the same amount of a good gear oil would accomplish the same thing.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:57 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by FERacing66
well, superrangerman you didnt answer fordfans question. explain why this rebottled gear oil helps transmissions? or can you?

1st, I never said it would not help trannys, I've stated that the same thing could be accomplished with a $3 qt of 80-90 vs a $9 qt of lucas.

2nd, please read all posts, as rustyF100 and I have explained, and re-explained this over and over.

Any time you dump a qt of lucas (or 80-90) it will quite down things alot, because that gear oil (or lucas) is increasing the base weight of the oil thats in the tranny, or engine. In reality your just covering the sound up, not actually fixing it, and by doing this you are introducing all kinds of new problems, cold starting, ect.

I wouldnt even dream of adding Lucas to my tranny, the base weight of the atf is so low (compared to Lucas) it would be just like adding 2 tubes of grease to my tranny.

As RustyF100 and I've (as well as others on this site) said many, many times, the MSDS's for lucas show sulphur and phosphorus in their oils (which is commonly found in 80-90 gear oil), which tends to create acids.

If your looking to stop leakage, just use a motor oil, like 10-40, 20-50, 10-50, etc. Not only will they be thicker, compared to dumping in 1 qt lucas to your motor oil, they will not have the high amounts of phosphorus and sulphur that are contained in lucas, and gear oils. Not to mention that its also cheaper this way too, and cold starts wont be an issue.

Last edited by superrangerman2002; 02-20-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:28 PM
FERacing66
Posting Guru
look my point is, if lucas is just rebottled gear oil than why does it help transmissions? fordfan never said that you said that it didnt help transmissions. and the same thing CAN NOT be accomplished by adding gear oil, people have tried this with and without lucas and when the lucas was added to the tranny it made a noticable diffrence in tranny noise, performance etc. the lucas must be more than gear oil otherwise it would have not made a difference!!!!

Old 02-20-2004, 01:31 PM
FERacing66
Posting Guru
By the way i have read all of the posts! i realize you and rustyf100 have explained it over and over but not to my satsifaction. i have questions that have yet to be answered that is why i keep asking questions!

Old 02-20-2004, 01:48 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had difinitive proof that the Lucas definately is gear oil I would post it. I do not. It probably does differ in some measurable way from gear oil. However, through the MSDS link I posted in my last post, we know for a fact that it does conatain two of the "active ingredients" contained in gear oil. The base weight is also the same. Without having percentage data, or having both products analyzed, I can say no more about it's composition. Lucas is a proprietary product, with proprietary information. I can only go off what the MSDS says, no more.

Edit: If you had a worn out manual transmission that took ATF, I could see the lucas working. A small amount, like 10% of the total capacity, would definately quiet things down, and may extend the useful life of the transmission without upseting the flow characteristics of the trans fluid. However, it is my firm belief that the same amount of a good gear oil would do the same thing.

Last edited by rusty70f100; 02-20-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:19 PM
justdan
Senior User
its a good product for many purposes and shouldnt be knocked - nobody said it was the only product for every purpose. it wont hurt cold starts, it sticks to metal parts instead of draining. stir some with a fork u'll see what i mean. i'd say its good for situations where something thick in the tranny, diff. , and engine is appropriate, like if u actually use ur truck as a truck. it will stick to gears and whatnot when not moving. other people swear by other stuff. my uncle ran a mustang 250,000 miles using only quaker state 10w30, and it ran like new when he sold it. its all what works in ur particular situation, in my case i've had real good results from lucas, which i believe was the original question

Old 02-28-2004, 03:01 AM
panther731
New User
Cool Lucas in manual trans

Used the stabilizer in a 92 Hyundai Sonata 5spd and it made a world of difference. I did notice a little bit faster response to redline as well as easier shifts. So as far as I'm conserned it is great when mixed at a 20% for a manual trans. but of course that's just my thoughts.