New Guy here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile New Guy here!

I was invited over by rockledge, who is a member at the Taurus Car Club of America. He's been very helpful there, and it looks like he is here too!

Hopefully we'll be able to share some information about the 3.0l, as I am having some issues with head gaskets, brown coolant etc. on my 97 Taurus.

More on that later, just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.

Old 01-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome aboard, Bob!

I think you'll find a lot of good people and information around here.

Old 01-03-2004, 09:35 PM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we will do as best we can to help. and welcome

Old 01-15-2004, 12:31 AM
hreed
Posting Guru
Welcome Bob. Let's cut to the chase! I'm in the "troubleshooting mode" so what do you need to know? BTW, planning a trip to NE America in the fall to see some leaves. (The wife's idea). Any suggestions?

Old 01-15-2004, 05:21 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I didn't want to post more about the engine failure until I knew more. It looks like the Ford recall for the bypass tube, chemical flush, and water pump was never done. According to OASIS and the dealer I bought it from, it was. I suspect someone just grabbed the VIN when it was in the used car lot and used it for something else.

At any rate, the head is corroded between the water jacket and the combustion chamber, bad enough so that it would need to have about .020" milled off to make a good gasket sealing surface. The block is also corroded, though not as bad, but still requiring machining. The head is also cracked between the valves on the #1 cylinder, mostly due to overheating caused by the lack of the bypass tube, and the gunk in the coolant blocking passages.

This all started with a mysterious #1 cylinder misfire that would come and go. Turns out the head gasket was leaking, and fouling out the plug.

I removed the dead engine, and all the freeze plugs and block drains. What a mess, it's like mud in there! More on all this later, once I resize and host all my pics of this.

For now, the plan is to swap the engine. That project is underway. It's an engine I heard run, an has had the recall done. There's still brown coolant in it, but no silt or mud in the cooling passages.

Plans are to eventually trade it/sell it and get my better half a newer vehicle. We've been looking at Excurions with the PSD, and we're pretty impressed at this point!

As far as viewing the foliage in the fall, there's a lot of great locations. I'd recommend the White Mountain region of New Hampshire, there's tons of stuff to do there besides the leaves. There's outlet shopping, sightseeing, etc. It's a popular ski region and summer vacation spot, and most of the ski mountains have some sort of off season activities going on. I'll see if I can dig up some online info on the area.

Also, October is a pretty good month to plan on. Exactly when varies by the weather and the summer we've had. Sometimes later October is prettier than earlier.

Check this site when the timing gets closer, they usually have some sort of foliage report that time of year. http://www.turntoten.com

Geez, I sound like the foliage master here!

Last edited by Bob Gervais; 01-15-2004 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:49 PM
silvapain
Senior User
welcome bob! (ha ha ha).

Old 01-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I didn't want to post more about the engine failure until I knew more. It looks like the Ford recall for the bypass tube, chemical flush, and water pump was never done. According to OASIS and the dealer I bought it from, it was. I suspect someone just grabbed the VIN when it was in the used car lot and used it for something else.

At any rate, the head is corroded between the water jacket and the combustion chamber, bad enough so that it would need to have about .020" milled off to make a good gasket sealing surface. The block is also corroded, though not as bad, but still requiring machining. The head is also cracked between the valves on the #1 cylinder, mostly due to overheating caused by the lack of the bypass tube, and the gunk in the coolant blocking passages.

This all started with a mysterious #1 cylinder misfire that would come and go. Turns out the head gasket was leaking, and fouling out the plug.

I removed the dead engine, and all the freeze plugs and block drains. What a mess, it's like mud in there! More on all this later, once I resize and host all my pics of this.

For now, the plan is to swap the engine. That project is underway. It's an engine I heard run, an has had the recall done. There's still brown coolant in it, but no silt or mud in the cooling passages...
Thanks for the feedback on your problem Bob, I've always wondered exactly how bad it could get inside a Vulcan engine with the Brown Coolant problem ...your description is every bit as ugly as I had imagined. Keep us posted on your progress...

For those people who haven't heard much of the Taurus & Sable "Brown Coolant" problem, there is a a very informative thread on the subject here: TCCA Brown Coolant Thread