General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Windshield Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 02:53 PM
amsnss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Cracking

Hey gang,

My wife has a 2001 Kia Rio. Almost 1 year ago she had a rock kicked up on her windshield cracking it. I bought one of those glass chip repair kits and it seemed to have taken care of the problem.

This morning, she went to pick our nephew up from speech therapy and called me from the school to tell me that her windshield had split.

I've called around and found a place that's going to "cut me a break" and only charge me $150 of my $250 deductible to replace it.

Now, my question is, is there really any danger in the windshield actually breaking out as a result of this crack? My wife is absolutely convinced it will, so she's a basket case about it.

I guess it's possible, but I've never heard of it happening before.

Old 12-12-2003, 02:58 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
modern windshields are 2 pieces of glass, sandwiching a piece of clear plastic, so they remain intact when broken, as a safety feature. the whole thing could spiderweb, and it should stay together.you're safe till you get it replaced, I know people who have had cracked windshields for years.

Old 12-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think so but you can get a ticket for it. I see people driving around all the time with a cracked windshield.

Old 12-12-2003, 03:02 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In some states it is illegal to drive with a cracked windshield and you could get a ticket.

Yes a windshield is weaker with a crack. I have never seen one break catastrophically but have heard of a few. I have heard of one or two that just kind of exploded into little chunks.

Once you have a crack usually the crack will continue to grow and eventually may cross the entire glass. The crack is a weak spot and the glass could break along the crack. If you were on the freeway when the glass decided to go, it could get blown into the car.

I would have it repaired if it is one of those cracks that is a "line". The chips and birdseye cracks are less likely to shatter in my opinion. I have a birdseye on one car that is about 3 inches in diameter and it hasn't gotten worse in 10 years. I have a chip/star shaped crack about 1/4 inch on another car that has stayed that way for 6 years.

It is the long(several inches) cracks that are more dangerous and more likely to be seen by the local PD.

I am not glass expert so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Jim Henderson

Old 12-12-2003, 03:03 PM
fordman102
Elder User
I'd tell her not to worry about it and drive it to the glass shop. All windshields are safty glass. They have a clear laminite material in between two layers of glass. When they get a chip or crack in them the laminite keeps the glass from shattering and falling in on you.

Old 12-12-2003, 03:19 PM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
I drove around with one broken for atleast a year. Also I rolled a truck, it completely smashed in the whole windshild, not a piece of glass fell. They're safety protected, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 12-12-2003, 04:05 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Like everybdoy said, it's okay to drive to get it fixed, but you may get a ticket for it. Something to think about...many of today's cars have windshields that play a part in the structure of the car...just be safe and get it fixed ASAP.

Old 12-12-2003, 06:37 PM
amsnss
Senior User
Well, I'm in the process now of getting it fixed. Just trying to scrape the money together for my deductible. It actually started from a chip about 1 inch from the bottom of the windshield. When it started cracking, starting from the chip, it goes up about 1/4-1/2 an inch and over about 6 inches. Then at the chip again, it goes straight down.

So it really doesn't obstruct the view at all. Just want to get it fixed so the wife will feel better and in turn, I will feel better.

Old 12-12-2003, 06:42 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
if she ain't happy

YOU AIN'T HAPPY

Old 12-13-2003, 08:18 PM
dogman
Elder User
If you have full coverage auto ins. it will cover the replacement.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:22 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Do not do business with the guy eating your deductable, all he is doing is overcharging the insurance company. Go with someone that offers a warranty that is approved by the insurance company. Or worse, he is using inferior and thinner glass that says "made in china" or Taiwan that will not meet the original OEM spec.

When you have a vehicle that takes over $5,000 worth of damage and you eat some of the deductable to ease the pain of someone living paycheck to paycheck forced into a rental, that is entirely different from fishing for business by overcharging an insurance company.

Last edited by rebocardo; 12-13-2003 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:09 PM
fordman428
Posting Guru
here in iowa as long as the driver can see out of his/her part of the windshield it is not illegall, my dad has a fairly bad crack in his f250 windshield in the middle to passenger side, and the cops say ots alright as long as its not directly in front of you, but i think to be on the safe side i would have it fixed.

Old 12-14-2003, 06:36 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

You more thsan likely have the right insurance to pay for the whole thing with no deductable, if you have the right type of insurance they have to pay for the NEW windsheild to be installed, and cannot hold it aganst you for the claim like they could in the event of an accident that was determined to be your fault.
here in my area there is an auto glass shop that will come to you with a mobile service and replace your windsheild and give you a free box of steaks to boot, plus they will bill your insurance company direct, so don't give your guy a dime until you ask your insurance agent.