General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

baseball strike

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
baseball strike

Old 07-16-2002, 11:08 PM
jml
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baseball strike

Okay, another strike in baseball, what gives? ....This time I am on the owners side....what the heck are the players thinking? They still want more money...? Whats the deal. Who thinks the players are right....the owners...or neither?

Old 07-16-2002, 11:20 PM
Cowboy_351
Elder User
baseball strike

I agree compleatly, I mean why cant they be reasonable. They make more than almost anyone in this country, they have it made, and yet they still complain :-X23

Old 07-17-2002, 12:04 AM
wayne_j
Senior User
baseball strike

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 17-Jul-02 AT 01:20 AM (EST)]I had a friend that played semi-pro ball. They use you until your hurt, and then you're out the door without mush more then a kick in the backside. These players are performers, no less then movie stars really. Why shouldn't they make the bucks if it is their talent that is drawing the crowds? I have yet to see some one go to the game and yell for an owner to strike some one out. I never have seen an owner that was hurt lose his job. I haven't seen to many of them on skid row either.

Some people say, "It's just a game." but it's not, it is a business. A huge business that draws in more then $9,000,000,000 in revenue, and ahs more then 18,000,000,000 viewers each year! Unlike movie, and television stars, that get a percentage each time their show is aired; baseball, hockey, football, and the other "pro" sport players, get paid for that one game. After that game if they get hurt that's it, no more paycheck.

When they are out their playing most give 100% every day. They do it for the money, of course, but they also do it for the show. If it wasn't for their talents and abilities that make us wish we could "play like him" there wouldn't be mush of a show to watch.

Old 07-17-2002, 07:01 AM
winfordr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
baseball strike

It's our fault. If we didn't pay the price for watching the game, they couldn't get away with it.

I think it stinks. They know what it's about when they get into it.
If they can't plan ahead, put some or most of the money away the first few years, then they need to find a real job.

Baseball is about the only sport I ever watch on TV, and the only game I ever pay to go see. But I don't care enough about it to reward arrogance and greed.

IMHO

Winford

Old 07-17-2002, 07:13 AM
ftrain
Senior User
baseball strike

The whole thing stinks...

I mean, both players and owners are making loads of money, and who is funding it?..us, with $20-50$ ticket prices, $3.50 cokes, and $5 hot dogs....(not even mentioning the stadium and player endorsements)

Its gotten to the point that the average family can rarely afford to go to a major league game...Ever notice how the college and minor league teams have been enjoying more and more attendance the last few years? The game is intact, I just think folks are tired of the whining and millions of dollars of paychecks...

I am a huge baseball fan, had a shot at the "show", but could not stay disciplined enough to push thru.. (such is youth). If I was young again, I would defnitely try to play major league ball. Why not? Makes a few million, invest wisely, and get out when the time is right....

Its OK with me if they strike, it may cause enough fan backlash that some things might actually change....

ok, am better now :-)

Freight Train

1987 F150 Reg Cab, 302MFI, AOD, 3.55 Rear, K&N Filter
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=4972&.jpg