Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 08:22 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,432 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabuyaford
On forums for my other cars that I know better than my stupid OBS Ford, I always chime in with info on jobs I've actually done.
I would be interested to read about your input on these other forums because on here you want a step by step guide with a video on how to check the oil. What is your username and what website(s)?

The following 6 users liked this post by My4Fordtrucks:
1Butcher, AuroraGirl, Exwhyze, JJF20, Mudsport96, OBSession05 and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-19-2024, 02:42 AM
EVO-2022
Cross-Country
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1Butcher is so right on the money 😂

Old 05-19-2024, 07:22 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Received 458 Likes on 403 Posts
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
I would be interested to read about your input on these other forums because on here you want a step by step guide with a video on how to check the oil. What is your username and what website(s)?
im sure youre blocked by now too. frankly him blocking me was probably the most beneficial FOR me since I dont waste so much time on him

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-28-2024, 01:51 AM
wannabuyaford
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by oval bowtie
Yes, I paid about $200.00 for the original Ford shop service manual and probably $50 -$60 for the Ford vacuum & electrical troubleshooting manual. It is a thing that I do for all my vehicles and equipment. This way I have what the manufacture recommends for repairs - procedures & torque settings. Yes, at RA those are factory authorized reprints of the actual Ford service manuals. True I did not need them, but they are good reference material. Unlike opinions that people have that have never touched what they are talking about. When I say that, it is not aimed at anybody on this site. It is just a general statement about human nature and how some people get something about appearing knowledgeable. Basically they are trying to talk the talk without even taking one step in the walk. People who have actually done the job are a good reference - former or current good mechanics and even hobbyists. Some times the best teacher is experience and failure, I freely admit that I have been there and have done that miserably and expensively. By all means use Youtube, it can be a good tool. I have used Youtube as a reference source for many things : GM, Ford, Saab, Volvo, Mopar, Ford tractors, Kubota tractors, Clark forklifts, and so on. As with anything I attempt, I try to research from various sources and determine what is beneficial for my application. A 5.8 is a 351 and there is a lot of information out there in print and online. Should be able to spot something on Youtube with just 351 water pump replacement. The 351 is the Windsor family of Ford small block, so even a 302 would be the same procedure ( 5.0 Mustangs - fox body ). No worries, you got this. Just take your time.
No argument from me there. I have noticed that a lot of people will post stuff even when they don't actually know. Kind of nuts. No doubt, lots of stuff about 5.8 water pump replacement, no worries there. My question was more about what caused the leak. Next step is to find a video for how to replace whatever the part is.

One of the reasons I drive this stupid thing is because it's so common, there are lots of videos. Sadly, service manuals go over my head. Even Haynes is confusing.

Old 05-30-2024, 10:07 AM
oval bowtie
5th Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There could be a lot of reasons for a leak: bad water pump, bad water pump gasket, damaged front timing cover, or even loose, broken, or missing bolt for the water pump. I usually plan worse case scenario when working on something. The water pump and surrounding needs to really be looked at to try and pin point the source of the leak. If it is just leaking between the pump and timing cover, it is repairable. How many miles on the engine? When was the coolant last done? Has the water pump been replaced? Then make a list of parts : water pump, water pump gasket if not included with pump, gasket sealant, and coolant. If it has been a while since anything has been done : potentially water pump bolts, anti-seize ( I like the copper style ) for the water pump bolts, new thermostat & gasket, new thermostat housing if not a good mating surface, heater hoses, radiator hoses, hose clamps for the hoses, flush the engine, have the radiator flushed or replaced, check the operation of the clutch fan, the serpentine belt, and wash out the a/c condenser to remove bugs and road debris. It can snowball pretty fast and get expensive. That is why everything should be inspected and evaluated. All these things I listed are a consumable part compared to the actual engine. Just take your time and look it over. If you remove the water pump and notice a piece of gasket compromised, then it was just gasket failure. Sometimes things just fail, even if all was done right. Parts can be defective. I had a new radiator that looked fine, but was slightly leaking from a production boss on the side tank. Didn't notice it right off because it was a slight leak. Take your time and investigate.