6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fastener Suppliers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 04:34 PM
HEUI Lewis
Cross-Country
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts
Fastener Suppliers

Just going to see where this goes…..

Starting this thread as a continuation of the thread I posted a while ago on the org. Trying to get some thoughts, information and ideas. This isn’t much of a fully informative thread yet, more of a community collaboration outreach.

https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/...gress.1405827/

I'm not sure how much of what we learn here will be edited into that post, I still need to decide what direction I want to go there. I do plan to call some of the companies with some questions I have, I may get more here....

Here's some things I have found, others I am still looking into.

Head Bolts: The head bolts are marked F-C, which Jack presented in another thread might be Ferry Cap and Set Screw. Ferry Cap and Set Screw is/was a subsidiary company of Stanley Black and Decker, Inc. The full history of Ferry C&S is VERY unclear. It seems like they may still be in operation currently in Lakewood, Ohio. Will call and look into this more to see what I can find out.

I believe another head bolt variety that is out there comes from Kamax Holding GmbH & Co, who marks their head bolt heads with KXV. The KXV bolts and the F-C bolts are both marked 118R. One theory I have is that these possibly replaced Ferry C&S bolts if for any reason Ferry discontinued production of this particular bolt? No matter, they may be a good source of information.

Another thing worth noting, the transmission to rear cover bolts also appear to be KXV, at least on my truck.

USPTO Information on Fastener Head Markings (KXV on page 101 of PDF) - https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/...A_Registry.pdf

Would be interested in hearing what anyone has found if they've ordered/received head bolts in a kit recently from Ford.

I have yet to figure out exactly what 118R means fully.... I do have reason to believe that 'R' indicated that the bolt is roll-threaded, more explanation below.

Crankshaft Pulley (and Rear Crankshaft Flange) Bolt (TTY): This is another engine fastener tightened using the torque to yield method. The fasteners I pulled off of my engine are all marked "F-C 12.9R". F-C, as previously discussed likely means Ferry Cap and Set Screw, 12.9 is the grade, and R’s meaning is below.

Note on 'R' Marking after Grade - I discovered some International Truck and Engine Co. literature (CEMS-A-31 Part 1) which is a document containing standards and requirements for fasteners. This was issued in Decemeber of 2003, so I would expect that much of it could apply to our engines. The document notes, in a table, the difference between 12.9 and 12.9R fasteners. The R after the grade (12.9, 10.9, 9, etc) indicates rolled threads.

https://www.scribd.com/document/7225...MS-A-31-Part-I

I ordered new crankshaft pulley bolts for my rebuild, the bolts seem to come from a different supplier now, Metalac, who is connected with and was owned by SPS Technologies, another supplier you'll see a lot of later on in this thread as I discuss the other smaller fasteners. SPS was purchased by PCC fasteners after the SPS acquisition of Metalac in 1995.

Because of Navistar's relationship with SPS/PCC, it would make sense that Ford would also sell replacement fasteners from other subsidiaries of PCC Fasteners.

Bedplate Bolts: Two types of bolts for this part, as many of you already know.... All of the long bolts (inner) in my engine were marked "F-C 12.9R" but the short bolts were either Ferry OR SPS, both having the 12.9R designation of course. I actually have a new short bedplate bolt on the way because of a slight thread defect in one of mine that I didn't like. I'll update when I get that bolt (from Ford!)

Fuel Injector Hold-Down Bolt: KLI/F-C 12.9R – Unsure what KLI means.

This first post already turned into a longer one than I thought, I’ll have more on some of the smaller fasteners too, as I research more/get good photos. A lot of these are marked by strange symbols, making them harder to identify than the lettered ones.

If anyone knows anything about suppliers of fasteners, or any parts for that matter, I’d love to hear about it here. Again, this is sort of just a “let’s see where this goes” sort of thread.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-01-2024, 05:27 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,427 Posts
You have a lot of the same information I do, LOL.

Ferry Cap and Screw was its own company and supplier to many brands, including CAT, and had several plants. A very good supplier. They were bought out by Stanley, who wanted one area of their tech and product line. However, Stanley did not care about continuing the Industrial/Vehcile side of the business. So, all of those product lines went elsewhere.

The crankshaft bolts after FC were both SPS and Metalac; I have both sets from Ford.

I also have new head bolts from both FC and KXV and used sets from both. A good while back, I had asked Razzi to grab head bolts from some of the engines he was working on to collect some data on removal torque and my checking the stretched lengths of the bolts. But all that has not been fully put into a video. There are at least two generations of FC head bolts.

I just looked through my YouTube unlisted videos, and it seems that I deleted the relevant unfinished or unpublished ones related to this subject.

The following users liked this post: