2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

My Truck May Have Met Its Match...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 11:28 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,550 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Individual states do not appear to deviate appreciably from the model code and regulations set forth by the FMCSA.

Even Elkhart Indiana, the RV capital of the world, appears to have some type of limitation on the weight of RV's that can be towed without an endorsement on a regular license, or an upgrade in driver's license.

The key observation here is the consistency with the model code administered by the FMCSA, which draws that line at 10,000 lbs for the towed vehicle (trailer), or 26,000 lbs for the combination.

Personally, I think most of the authors of state driver's license handbooks have managed to do a very poor job at relaying the information that the FMCSA has now, through their FAQ's, made crystal clear.

State level ambiguity is also codified in their laws, making the towing laws appear more different from state to state than intended. The legislative intent is lost in the language implementation.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:55 PM
Tsax6010
Mountain Pass
Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Individual states do not appear to deviate appreciably from the model code and regulations set forth by the FMCSA.

Even Elkhart Indiana, the RV capital of the world, appears to have some type of limitation on the weight of RV's that can be towed without an endorsement on a regular license, or an upgrade in driver's license.

The key observation here is the consistency with the model code administered by the FMCSA, which draws that line at 10,000 lbs for the towed vehicle (trailer), or 26,000 lbs for the combination.

Personally, I think most of the authors of state driver's license handbooks have managed to do a very poor job at relaying the information that the FMCSA has now, through their FAQ's, made crystal clear.

State level ambiguity is also codified in their laws, making the towing laws appear more different from state to state than intended. The legislative intent is lost in the language implementation.
Maybe? I have not read other state's laws to really know as I have lived in Ohio for over 30 years - but here personal use of a recreational vehicle is a blanket exemption from a CDL requirement. Ohio Revised Code defines various types of recreational vehicles such as travel trailer and 5th wheels, but does NOT specify a limit on either weight of the RV nor GCWR of the tow setup. And thanks to reciprocity, all states honor the requirements from my state of residence and licensure.

Ohio BMV
Section 4501.01 - Ohio Revised Code | Ohio Laws

Commercial Driver (CDL) Exemptions

For these vehicle categories, the driver is exempt from CDL requirements.

Farm Truck

• Operated by a farmer for transportation to or from a farm for a distance of no more than 150 miles
  • Truck must not be used in the operation of a motor transportation company

Fire Equipment

• Equipment for a fire department, volunteer or non-volunteer fire company, fire district or joint fire district

Public Safety Vehicle

• Vehicles used to provide transportation or emergency medical service for ill or injured people

Recreational Vehicle

• Vehicles defined as recreational vehicles in Ohio Revised Code 4501.01 and used exclusively for purposes other than engaging in business or profit

Commercial Motor Vehicle

• Commercial motor vehicles used by local government employees to remove snow or ice from a roadway by plowing, sanding or salting
  • Applies only if a non-CDL licensed employee is able to operate the vehicle or the local government determines a snow or ice emergency exists and additional help is needed
  • Eligible unit of local government means a village, township, or county with a population of not more than 3,000 persons according to the most recent federal census

Vehicle Operated for Military Purpose

• Operated by any member or uniformed employee of the armed forces of the United States or reserve components, including the Ohio National Guard
  • Does not apply to United States reserve technicians

Non-Business Commercial Motor Vehicle

• Commercial motor vehicle not used in commerce and not regulated by the Public Utilities Commission

Vehicle Designed for Transporting Goods

• Vehicle used for non-commercial transport of goods or personal property

The following 2 users liked this post by Tsax6010:
Old 10-12-2023, 01:30 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts
Massachusetts has a similar carve out... so long as you don't make a buck with it if I am understanding it correctly.

Old 10-12-2023, 02:20 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,550 Likes on 1,862 Posts
@Tsax6010

Your assessment and interpretation is confirmed by this chat with Ohio BMV a few minutes ago...

Taken to the extreme, if I had a travel trailer with a 40K GVWR (where each axle in the tandem dual pair was rated for 20K), towed by a 2023 F-450 regular cab, recently rated by Ford to be able to tow 40K...
no special driver's license or endorsement would appear to be required in Ohio.

This is quite a contrast to California, where ANY type of recreational travel trailer is limited to 10K GVWR on a regular license, and those who wish to tow a heavier 5th wheel travel trailer must get an endorsement, called Restriction 41, which allows the holder to tow a 5th wheel type travel trailer up to 15K GVWR, and no more.

Thus, my prior estimation that there is not an appreciable difference between the laws of states when it comes to RV towing has been handily disproven.

Thanks for posting!

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 02:33 PM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,089 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by rufushusky
Massachusetts has a similar carve out... so long as you don't make a buck with it if I am understanding it correctly.

I had a class 7 dump registered personal in MA and used it for many years to tow my excavator while developing personal property. Rather absurd if you ask me but it was allowed and no questions were asked if I had ever operated anything that size and weight before. Registered and sent me on my way with a basic class D license.

Old 10-12-2023, 02:44 PM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,089 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Thus, my prior estimation that there is not an appreciable difference between the laws of states when it comes to RV towing has been handily disproven.

Thanks for posting!
Just want to say Y2KW57 while you may have originally assumed wrong about this one topic, I really appreciate the time you take to write up some of your more lengthy posts on many topics on the forums providing correct information and hardly any assumptions without knowledge to support.

The following 3 users liked this post by OverheadCram:
Old 10-12-2023, 02:56 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally Posted by OverheadCram
I had a class 7 dump registered personal in MA and used it for many years to tow my excavator while developing personal property. Rather absurd if you ask me but it was allowed and no questions were asked if I had ever operated anything that size and weight before. Registered and sent me on my way with a basic class D license.
Well we didn't get these meme for nothing....

In all seriousness it can be so frustrating the DOT wants absolutely NOTHING to do with the RV world. What might apply to some of the population, doesn't apply to others, GVWR's are enforced by judge dredd in some places, you can change it for yucks in others, left is right, etc etc... Ok off my soap box....

Old 10-12-2023, 03:58 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,848 Likes on 1,382 Posts
I'm glad RV's and personal use cases are exempt. C'mon guys, we don't want MORE government digging their fingers further into our lives. No more laws and regulations, no more expense, no more hoops...no more!

The following 3 users liked this post by ATC Crazy:
Old 10-12-2023, 04:03 PM
GAZZILLA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,116 Likes on 611 Posts
My brother in law took us out in their 84 foot motor yacht. He said he didn’t need a captain’s license for it because it was for personal use also. For those of you getting tired of your land yachts.

Old 10-12-2023, 04:16 PM
ShotgunZ71
Tuned
Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
I'm glad RV's and personal use cases are exempt. C'mon guys, we don't want MORE government digging their fingers further into our lives. No more laws and regulations, no more expense, no more hoops...no more!
Laws and regulations? You mean like trucks getting weight loss surgery? 😜

You hit the nail on the head. We are all regulated ad nauseam to a point where much of it can be considered nonsense.

Old 10-12-2023, 06:11 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 796 Likes on 483 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
of course no one wants that

it’s probably to help the personal market easier for folks to get into and not deter the average joe with too many requirements…who knows

The angle most people here are sharing is that if it’s so dangerous you’d think it would all apply across the board to everyone regardless of how the vehicle is registered

Old 10-12-2023, 08:25 PM
twobelugas
Cargo Master
Received 1,441 Likes on 896 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwhjr
it’s probably to help the personal market easier for folks to get into and not deter the average joe with too many requirements…who knows
Of course it is to make it easier for retirees to buy their retirement RV. My theory has always been it's not just the profit from the purchase, repair and maintenance, but also that if they didn't have a mobile home to drive around the country, they might get restless and get even more involved in local politics, and these ones have cash to blow if they didn't spend it on a big toy.

Old 10-12-2023, 11:54 PM
GAZZILLA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,116 Likes on 611 Posts
Though my truck and I met our match today.

Had to pull my travel trailer out of hunting camp early today due to 1-2 feet of snow falling/drifting overnight. Had to put it in 4 low, 1st gear, lock the rear differential, turn off traction control and floor it to get into camp and to pull the TT out. Got stuck and slid off the dirt road several times getting in and out.

This truck earned my respect today, it saved my ***.

1st pic, dirt road going in, trailer in view in the distance.
2nd pic, following my own tracks back out.
3rd pic, finally got back on a plowed road.

Still can’t believe I got out of there with the trailer.

Attached Images    
The following 3 users liked this post by GAZZILLA:
Old 10-13-2023, 04:38 AM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 796 Likes on 483 Posts
Originally Posted by GAZZILLA
Though my truck and I met our match today.

Had to pull my travel trailer out of hunting camp early today due to 1-2 feet of snow falling/drifting overnight. Had to put it in 4 low, 1st gear, lock the rear differential, turn off traction control and floor it to get into camp and to pull the TT out. Got stuck and slid off the dirt road several times getting in and out.

This truck earned my respect today, it saved my ***.

1st pic, dirt road going in.
2nd pic, following my own tracks back out.
3rd pic, finally got back on a plowed road.

Still can’t believe I got out of there with the trailer.
lol I was expecting a real trailer after reading the dramatic story then I got to the pictures

a Tacoma probably could’ve pulled that thing through some fresh snow

Old 10-13-2023, 07:17 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,673 Likes on 1,368 Posts
A set of chains go a long way for traction even with 4wd. For the few minutes it takes to put them on beat playing the stuck games.

Quick Reply: My Truck May Have Met Its Match...