2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

My Truck May Have Met Its Match...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 05:58 PM
Kameron Rice
Laughing Gas
Received 417 Likes on 259 Posts
I have an f450, I haul 30k with it alot sometimes 32k, my trailer is a 25ft tandem dual (8 tire) trailer, gooseneck. The trailer weighs 30500lbs alot. I can haul that with my 2022 ford f350 cclb fx4 6.7L (same as OP's truck just a 350 and fx4.). It's not a dually, legally if I had to. Nobody could complain!

I would be legal with it and will pass any road side inspection. If i moved the excavator backwards and balanced the weight better, Why? I would keep my rear axle under 7500lbs, my trailer is 30k and truck 12,300lbs, for a combined 42,300lbs gvwr. I would weigh around 39k combined if scaled by DOT. For the brake police people, I am within spec of my gvwr so I can stop it.

****, I aught to load it once take a picture just to see how it looks. Never done it before.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:01 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,550 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
He's got enough miles under his belt that he doesn't need to weigh every load.
The new truck / travel trailer combination only needs to be weighed once.

The question is, how was the combination of pin weight and truck tare weight determined?

By driving a certain number of miles?

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-10-2023, 06:07 PM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,089 Likes on 651 Posts
Im going to start pulling up to the booth instead of hitting the scales... you know just tell them I know the weight because ive logged over 1.5 million miles over my career.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:10 PM
Kameron Rice
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by OverheadCram
Im going to start pulling up to the booth instead of hitting the scales... you know just tell them I know the weight because ive logged over 1.5 million miles over my career.
where I live them sorry pos guys sit in the median, and pull you over. My f450 and excavator always get scaled on the side of the highway.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:16 PM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Kameron Rice
where I live them sorry pos guys sit in the median, and pull you over. My f450 and excavator always get scaled on the side of the highway.
Pretty strict around me seeing as within a single day you can be in more than 5 different states on a round trip. When I was doing business I had truck and trailer combos that stayed identical day to day just so you didn't have to hit the scales locally all the time.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:21 PM
Kameron Rice
Laughing Gas
Pretty strict around me seeing as within a single day you can be in more than 5 different states on a round trip. When I was doing business I had truck and trailer combos that stayed identical day to day just so you didn't have to hit the scales locally all the time.
my f450, only hauls 2 really heavy machines, everything else is light 15-20k. All within 50 miles typically. Like today and tomorrow I'll more 2-3 times then sit for a few weeks and just solo drive.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:33 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 330 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Sticker doesn't "allow" anything, it states the manufacturer suggested rating, that is not law, it is not an allowance, it is a suggestion.
The only "law" associated with weight for my truck is its Texas registration weight, which is 26,000 pounds gross.
My old neighbor in Colorado will be happy to hear this. Maybe he can get the ticket tossed and the money back he paid for a fine for hauling a 5th wheeler with his F250 diesel. Seems the Leo thought he was dangerously overloaded.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:35 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 796 Likes on 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Sticker doesn't "allow" anything, it states the manufacturer suggested rating, that is not law, it is not an allowance, it is a suggestion.
The only "law" associated with weight for my truck is its Texas registration weight, which is 26,000 pounds gross.
So you don’t have to worry about the pin weight making the truck exceed its own registered gvwr?

Old 10-10-2023, 06:38 PM
Kameron Rice
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by RandyinTN
My old neighbor in Colorado will be happy to hear this. Maybe he can get the ticket tossed and the money back he paid for a fine for hauling a 5th wheeler with his F250 diesel. Seems the Leo thought he was dangerously overloaded.
they can give a ticket for anything. Doesn't mean its correct. I have gotten a ticket for fuel decal, I mailed in is false and i wasnt paying, and he didn't verify my weight so it was false. Never had to pay it.

For him all he needs to do is mail in he not paying, and day they didn't verify weights for those assumptions. If they did weigh him, ask them to prove how it's over weight, and the axle and tires specs.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:39 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,848 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
The new truck / travel trailer combination only needs to be weighed once.

The question is, how was the combination of pin weight and truck tare weight determined?

By driving a certain number of miles?
CAT scales are few and far between around here, so yes, you’d have to drive quite a few certain number of miles. LoL

Old 10-10-2023, 06:44 PM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Rwhjr
So you don’t have to worry about the pin weight making the truck exceed its own registered gvwr?
I was going to point that out seeing as he has made it clear many times he chose a 10k F250 in order to allow for a 16k trailer under cdl, but....

Old 10-10-2023, 06:49 PM
Kameron Rice
Laughing Gas
I was going to point that out seeing as he has made it clear many times he chose a 10k F250 in order to allow for a 16k trailer under cdl, but....
DOT does not care about that, as long as your tagged for it, and axles are to spec and your total gvwr is in spec your good.
If I wanted to tow with his truck in place of mine I'd just move the excavator up to get less hitch weight.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:57 PM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
DOT does not care about that, as long as your tagged for it, and axles are to spec and your total gvwr is in spec your good.
If I wanted to tow with his truck in place of mine I'd just move the excavator up to get less hitch weight.
The truck still has its own registered gvwr as does the trailer. If you want to max out your 26,000lb gross with a 16k trailer the truck cant be registered for anymore than 10k making the number on the payload sticker 100% relevant and not a suggestion.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:04 PM
Kameron Rice
Laughing Gas
The truck still has its own registered gvwr as does the trailer. If you want to max out your 26,000lb gross with a 16k trailer the truck cant be registered for anymore than 10k making the number on the payload sticker 100% relevant and not a suggestion.
sure it can, tou can rwgiater the f250 for 50k tag, if you want nobody is sloping you, doesn't mean you have to use it. Hell I can put a 50k tag on a ford Ranger.
Also, the truck tag musr cover the truck and trailer combined weight. Not just the truck

Old 10-10-2023, 07:05 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 330 Likes on 158 Posts
they can give a ticket for anything. Doesn't mean its correct. I have gotten a ticket for fuel decal, I mailed in is false and i wasnt paying, and he didn't verify my weight so it was false. Never had to pay it.

For him all he needs to do is mail in he not paying, and day they didn't verify weights for those assumptions. If they did weigh him, ask them to prove how it's over weight, and the axle and tires specs.
He decided not to fight it because he knew he was way overweight according to the door jam sticker.
Furthermore, his neighbor, who is an attorney, told him he would be up the creek without a paddle if he ever got into a wreck using same truck/trailer combo after already being ticketed.
He solved it the easy way and traded in the 250 on a 350.
I have learned from his experience.
I’ll never tow more than 12k with my new truck. But I made dang sure I paid the extra $600 so it says F350 instead of F250

The following 3 users liked this post by RandyinTN:

Quick Reply: My Truck May Have Met Its Match...