7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

High mileage 7.3L engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 07:00 PM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,339 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
I just purchased extended service plans for two of the 3 2021's we have (the 3rd is in for an engine replacement). I suggest everyone else do the same. $13k for an engine replacement after a $3,000.00 diagnosis, is not what I expected for a gas engine.
I expected to get more life out of these than 129,000 miles. Hopefully you guys have better luck than I did. But I'm covered now. I should get a warranty on the new engine and I'm getting a 60,000 mile service plan on my other two trucks (they both have less than 80,000 miles).
With one search I found a new 7.3 crate engine for $8500. I bet some searching finds one around $7k. Easy one day swap... My friend lost the 6.7 in his 2015. Cost him a week of his labor time and $25k for a used engine. I would hate to see the engine fail that early but still WAY cheaper than the diesel. I am expecting 250-300k problem free.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:36 AM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,087 Likes on 650 Posts
13k is a few grand more than what id charge for a 7.3L replacement but not outrageous like the 1k bill for 5 plugs and a coil? Id imagine one has not seen a parts and labor invoice for a 6.7L PowerStroke replacement out of warranty to be this overwhelmed by a gas engine replacement cost. And dont forget the month long back order for the diesel engine.

Old 11-12-2023, 03:37 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob
You are so happy and confident in it that you won't drive it beyond warranty?
you can be confident all you want, but when the dpf costs $8,000.00 to replace (been there), the fuel system is $12,000.00 and an engine replacement is $18k to $20,000.00, you would be a fool to drive these trucks around without a warranty of some sort.

I'm sure you're upset because I said I should have gotten the diesel, but the facts are out there. The 7.3's have problems and I got a whole 2 years out of one. The 6.7 diesel has more than proven itself, but again, unless you want to pay huge repair costs out of pocket, you better have a warranty/service contract to fall back.on, regardless of engine, make, or model.

Old 11-12-2023, 03:42 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Originally Posted by RidgwaySD
With one search I found a new 7.3 crate engine for $8500. I bet some searching finds one around $7k. Easy one day swap... My friend lost the 6.7 in his 2015. Cost him a week of his labor time and $25k for a used engine. I would hate to see the engine fail that early but still WAY cheaper than the diesel. I am expecting 250-300k problem free.
same dealer that is charging me $13k for a 7.3 engine swap, told me they do 6.7 swaps for $18k. The 6.7 is much more reliable. It was reliable back in 2011 and it's even more reliable now.
I think the 7.3 will eventually be a reliable mill, but even then, you should carry a warrnty or a service contract as long as you can. Repair costs have just gotten way too far out of hand and there are so many parts on these things now.

Old 11-12-2023, 03:48 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Originally Posted by OverheadCram
13k is a few grand more than what id charge for a 7.3L replacement but not outrageous like the 1k bill for 5 plugs and a coil? Id imagine one has not seen a parts and labor invoice for a 6.7L PowerStroke replacement out of warranty to be this overwhelmed by a gas engine replacement cost. And dont forget the month long back order for the diesel engine.
well, the 6.7 has a better track record than the 7.3 currently does. I trust the 6.7's dependability much more than I do the 7.3's after what I have experienced and what I have read.

But again, I expected the gas engine to be much more affordable, while it is cheaper to repair and replace, it isn't by as much as I thought it would be.

A regular Joe can't afford to make these repairs out of pocket. That regular Joe is just trying to afford groceries right now, which has also gotten ridiculous.

Old 11-12-2023, 04:34 PM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,087 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
well, the 6.7 has a better track record than the 7.3 currently does. I trust the 6.7's dependability much more than I do the 7.3's after what I have experienced and what I have read.

But again, I expected the gas engine to be much more affordable, while it is cheaper to repair and replace, it isn't by as much as I thought it would be.

A regular Joe can't afford to make these repairs out of pocket. That regular Joe is just trying to afford groceries right now, which has also gotten ridiculous.
I hear you. haven't personally seen a 7.3L failure yet but the past few months more reports on this forum as well as my techs showing me tons of facebook posts of 7.3Ls dying young. I hate to hear about it as more and more of my customers fleets will be turning over to the new 7.3L and 6.8L. Im hanging onto my 6.2L and old 6.8L.

It does seem you have had great luck and not had to put significant money into a vehicle for a while. Sticker shock got you now, prices have just about doubled in the past three years time. I would dispute the bill for the plugs and coil as that seems outrageous but the engine replacement while on the high end isnt out of the park.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:27 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
I hear you. haven't personally seen a 7.3L failure yet but the past few months more reports on this forum as well as my techs showing me tons of facebook posts of 7.3Ls dying young. I hate to hear about it as more and more of my customers fleets will be turning over to the new 7.3L and 6.8L. Im hanging onto my 6.2L and old 6.8L.

It does seem you have had great luck and not had to put significant money into a vehicle for a while. Sticker shock got you now, prices have just about doubled in the past three years time. I would dispute the bill for the plugs and coil as that seems outrageous but the engine replacement while on the high end isnt out of the park.
well, I've been through it with the 6.0 diesel, but yeah, the costs for repairs, cab offs, head gaskets, oil coolers etc… were high, but not outrageous like what I'm seeing now. This is highway robbery.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:22 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,462 Likes on 904 Posts

There's a guy on another forum (RV.net) that works as a paramedic and their trucks have completely switched to gas power some years ago, and what they're seeing is the 7.3 is by far having more engine problems than the V10. The 6.2 and 6.8 V10 (last iteration) is about as reliable as an anvil. As of this point that can't be said for the 7.3 and that's coming from a 7.3 owner.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:25 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver

There's a guy on another forum (RV.net) that works as a paramedic and their trucks have completely switched to gas power some years ago, and what they're seeing is the 7.3 is by far having more engine problems than the V10. The 6.2 and 6.8 V10 (last iteration) is about as reliable as an anvil. As of this point that can't be said for the 7.3 and that's coming from a 7.3 owner.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:58 PM
OBS460
Cargo Master
Received 1,520 Likes on 978 Posts
Originally Posted by FishOnOne
Have you had a problem with your 7.3? Many owners out there have had minimal issues if any at all out of these engines. No more issues than people are having with the 6.7s.

Old 11-12-2023, 09:36 PM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
There are some posters here, that you just have to take with a grain of salt. They cite opinion and anecdotal evidence, of issues as "fact", when no "facts" or "data" support their opinions or conclusions. I'm as interested as the next guy in any systemic quality or performance problems that might be associated with any vehcile that I own or am considering buying. But, I'm always a little skeptical of forum posts that cite anecdotal examples .... "I know a guy who knows a guy" or "I read somewhere" or "my personal experience" ... means that the problem must be systemic......
Yes, there are issues with vehicles, some well "documented". Recalls and TSB's serve that purpose fairly well.
As for 7.3L gas engines, there are litterally 10's of thousands of them on the road today (through August 2023, 189,174 super duty vehicles were built at KTP, gas and diesel), If there were systemic quality or performance issues with them, the issues would likely be well publicized.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-12-2023, 10:19 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by OBS460
Have you had a problem with your 7.3? Many owners out there have had minimal issues if any at all out of these engines. No more issues than people are having with the 6.7s.
We got it in September so no issues to date other than the truck has a ping pong rattle inside the steering wheel and something inside the drivers door panel. We also purchased a used 2023 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi and the interior is rattle free.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:16 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by FishOnOne
We got it in September so no issues to date other than the truck has a ping pong rattle inside the steering wheel and something inside the drivers door panel. We also purchased a used 2023 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi and the interior is rattle free.
There's a little room in your sig for an update.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:36 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by scraprat
There's a little room in your sig for an update.
LOL... That would have to include:
2002 F250 7.3PSD (retired and good truck)
2005 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins (Dashboard is all but gone and eats transmissions)
2006 F350 6.0PSD (Usual injector stuff)
2007 Dodge 3500 DRW 5.9 Cummins (Purchased in Arizona and drove back to TX. Eats transmissions and rides like a tank)
2016 F350 DRW 6.7PSD (Good truck)
2018 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins (service truck)
2023 F350 7.3 (New)
2023 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi (New used/9k miles, Will replace 2005 Dodge or 2006 Ford)

These trucks are for farm and ranch use

Old 11-13-2023, 08:02 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Originally Posted by OBS460
wait, you think the 7.3 is on par with the 6.7 on a reliability scale? No way, no how.
Of course, for every 10 Ford SD trucks, at least 8 are diesel powered and the 6.7 has been out since 2010.
Truth is, eventually the 7.3 will be a good engine, but right now, it has some reliability flaws. I've never heard anyone talk about the 6.7 the same way we're talking about the 7.3.

Quick Reply: High mileage 7.3L engines