7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

High mileage 7.3L engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 04:23 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RidgwaySD
Not buying it? Why? Because you do not understand what causes a cat to plug? Unburned fuel... from your poorly functioning spark plugs...
place is full of *******s.

My guy drove the truck 3 miles to the dealer once the misfires occured, that isn't what clogged the cat, but believe what you want.

Even if it did, shouldn't the certified Ford technician know to look for that? That's my point. Had they found the clogged cat when they should have, I would have just sold, or traded the truck in. get it?

Old 12-03-2023, 04:38 PM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades

My guy drove the truck 3 miles to the dealer once the misfires occured, that isn't what clogged the cat, but believe what you want.

Even if it did, shouldn't the certified Ford technician know to look for that? That's my point. Had they found the clogged cat when they should have, I would have just sold, or traded the truck in. get it?
Seems pretty obvious who isn't "getting it'...lol I would bet it was misfiring for some time.

Best of luck with your trucks and that dealer.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:54 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RidgwaySD
Seems pretty obvious who isn't "getting it'...lol I would bet it was misfiring for some time.

Best of luck with your trucks and that dealer.
what's done is done. I'm getting a new motor and cat. Lesson learned.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:01 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,520 Likes on 940 Posts
I'm sure there's been a lot of misfiring going on with all the defective plug wires, but don't hear a lot of cat failures.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:04 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by scraprat
Never gave much thought about it. I'll look tomorrow with 128,500 miles on the truck now. Probably looks about the same as it did in that one pic in the thread.

Edit....

Comparison from10/2021 (top) at 30k miles, today (bottom) at 128,500 miles. Looks normal to me.

Although a totally different engine (3.7L 129k miles 2014 Edge Sport), but this what I would have expected. I think our old 2017 6.2 exhaust looked fairly clean, but not 100% sure

Old 12-03-2023, 06:53 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,356 Posts
As I said looks normal to me. I'll lose no sleep the way it looks. Just an exhaust pipe pushing my carbon foot print.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:05 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by scraprat
As I said looks normal to me. I'll lose no sleep the way it looks. Just an exhaust pipe pushing my carbon foot print.
If Ford doesn't clean this up, I can see one of those carbon filters on this gas engine setup. Again very surprised on this much carbon on a port injected engine.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:24 AM
last5oh_302
Laughing Gas
Received 322 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by FishOnOne
If Ford doesn't clean this up, I can see one of those carbon filters on this gas engine setup. Again very surprised on this much carbon on a port injected engine.
I get that same carbon on my 7.3 port injected tail pipe as I did on my 2016 F150 5.0 port injected tail pipe, so it seems normal to me.

Old 12-04-2023, 02:00 PM
leadmic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts
The 6.2L is a very reliable platform, but it has a cat problem if you let the plugs go over 100K even with two plugs per cylinder and none of the plug wire issues of the 7.3L. Don't believe me, go on the 6.2L forum and see all the cats that have been replaced because someone ran the plugs too long. Running plugs too long causes misfires and misfires are deffinently harmful to cat longevity. On my 6.2L I changed my plugs wires and boots at 90K so I wouldn't have a cat problem, and I didn't. On my 7.3L I plan on doing the same thing. I also am going to change all the plug wires on my 2022 7.3L at about 30k if Ford got the new D wires right to keep the cats happy.

Old 12-04-2023, 02:04 PM
leadmic
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FishOnOne
My 7.3 looks cleaner than my 6.2 so far and my 6.2 didn't burn any oil in between changes.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:46 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by leadmic
My 7.3 looks cleaner than my 6.2 so far and my 6.2 didn't burn any oil in between changes.
Interesting... I thought our '17 6.2 had a clean tail pipe, but perhaps I'm wrong. Sold it to a farmer earlier this year with less than 20k miles of light use. I know my '98 F150 5.4 2V had a clean tail pipe. I ran that truck to ~150k miles and sold it to someone at work who drove it to 250k miles with original cats.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:39 PM
rvpuller
Received 472 Likes on 305 Posts
What a tailpipe looks like has so many variables you can't judge by what it looks like and guess what it's running like or health of the motor. Short hopping especially during cold weather will give you a black tailpipe with a wet look same with extended idling. I vehicle that's been run a long distance and had a chance to get good and warm with have a dry cleaner looking pipe. The biggest enemy of your converter is long periods of idle and short drives so it doesn't get a chance to get to it's operating temp, they like to be hot. Back in the day we used to look for a white tailpipe but that was when the fuel still has lead in it now I don't pay much attention to it. A restricted exhaust system can cause all sorts of damage if run that way for a extended period and yes bad plugs will put excess fuel into the cats causing them to plug over time.

Denny

Old 12-04-2023, 10:29 PM
OBS460
Cargo Master
Received 1,542 Likes on 995 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
What a tailpipe looks like has so many variables you can't judge by what it looks like and guess what it's running like or health of the motor. Short hopping especially during cold weather will give you a black tailpipe with a wet look same with extended idling. I vehicle that's been run a long distance and had a chance to get good and warm with have a dry cleaner looking pipe. The biggest enemy of your converter is long periods of idle and short drives so it doesn't get a chance to get to it's operating temp, they like to be hot. Back in the day we used to look for a white tailpipe but that was when the fuel still has lead in it now I don't pay much attention to it. A restricted exhaust system can cause all sorts of damage if run that way for a extended period and yes bad plugs will put excess fuel into the cats causing them to plug over time.

Denny
I used to buy Torco 110 for my Buell at a gas station by my house and my tailpipe was always white but man did it wake my bike up. The gas station said if I got caught they could treat it like off-road diesel but they've never heard of anyone ever getting in trouble for it. You can definitely smell the difference from leaded vs unleaded gas.

Old 12-05-2023, 02:34 AM
leadmic
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rvpuller

Denny
The things you mentioned don't help cat life, but the biggest cat killer is raw fuel from a misfire. It literally melts it down.

Old 12-05-2023, 06:43 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades

8 worn out plugs. The tech diagnosed 5 of them as probably weak spark. Intermittent misfires can happen. Extended weak spark and intermittent misfires will load up the cats. Also extended misfires will wash cylinders and fuel dilute the oil Everything I posted explains why all the things went wrong with your truck. Lack of maintenance

If you believe your guy only drove 3 miles with a misfire you are trusting the wrong guy to use your vehicle. just saying
Oh and i guess add me to the list of *******s

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: High mileage 7.3L engines