High mileage 7.3L engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 07:14 PM
OBS460
Cargo Master
Received 1,542 Likes on 995 Posts
Originally Posted by FishOnOne
Curious what was your other truck?
Same as my current truck but 3.73 gears. 2022 F350 XLT DRW CCLB 7.3 4x4. I owned it from New to 20k miles and sold it cause my order was built finally.

It towed my 5th wheel for 15k of those miles.

Old 12-02-2023, 07:31 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,520 Likes on 940 Posts
Originally Posted by OBS460
Same as my current truck but 3.73 gears. 2022 F350 XLT DRW CCLB 7.3 4x4. I owned it from New to 20k miles and sold it cause my order was built finally.

It towed my 5th wheel for 15k of those miles.
Got it... This is the first I've heard of soot in the tail pipe.

Old 12-02-2023, 07:59 PM
OBS460
Cargo Master
Received 1,542 Likes on 995 Posts
Old 12-02-2023, 08:13 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Moral of the story is dont let dealerships experiment with your truck while your pocketbook is paying the bills. None of these dealers are looking inside the engines to verify a failure. A misfire turned into a cam which turned into a whole new engine which turned into a catalytic converter which turned into $21k. You are paying for their incompetence.
and I battled them the whole way. They are tired of hearing from me. The bill is $15k after all is said and done.
We had a conference call yesterday and the mechanics were on it. They said there was never a code that indicated the exhaust was restricted, I told them the spark plugs should have clued them in and they should have dug deeper.
I told them I took the truck to a ford dealer, because I THOUGHT they would know what to look for, instead, I got a huge bill. The plugged Cat caused the cam failure. They had no explanation.
While I have built 2 engines in my time (302 and 460), I am no mechanic and I don't have the time to do the job if I could. I'm not sure what else I could have done here.
The way this went down, made it very difficult to prevent this.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-02-2023, 08:19 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Thanks for sharing Ace... The fan boys will attack and defend as it's been on full display. The guy that is attacking you claims he services other trucks so makes you wonder
yeah, I don't get it, I don't see what I could have done differently. The truck went in with a miss, I authorized the spark plugs to be changed. I wasn't in the shop with them, didn't know they were test driving it and certainly wasn't in the truck with them when the cam popped. Once that happened, I was screwed no matter what I did.
Of course, the service department is going to try to explain it away and it would be a stupid move to pull the truck out and take it somewhere else. I'd end up paying a lot more when all was said and done.

Old 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
We don't know what caused the failure. It could have been a plugged cat contributing to the misfire and lifter failure or the lifter failure could have been the cause of the misfire and plugged cat or the misfire could have cause the failed lifter and plugged cat. Not enough evidence to chalk it up to poor quality parts. A number of these engines are having plugged cats and we don't know the cause because dealerships don't have competent techs anymore.
this is the first I'm hearing of a plugged cat issue with these trucks. I knew about the lifters. The dealer is saying the fouled plugs caused the plugged cat. I'm not buying that. That's a reach.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:31 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
this is the first I'm hearing of a plugged cat issue with these trucks. I knew about the lifters. The dealer is saying the fouled plugs caused the plugged cat. I'm not buying that. That's a reach.
Was those the original spark plugs at 129k miles?

Old 12-02-2023, 09:34 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
I'm surprised they soot up like that.

Edit:
So had to look at my wife's 2014 Edge Sport 3.7L with port injection. I know this is a bit of apples vs oranges, but this is what all my gas engines exhaust tips look with ~129k miles. You could almost eat off these chrome tips.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:51 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Was those the original spark plugs at 129k miles?
Yes, original plugs.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:55 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,356 Posts
I'm surprised they soot up like that.
Never gave much thought about it. I'll look tomorrow with 128,500 miles on the truck now. Probably looks about the same as it did in that one pic in the thread.

Edit....

Comparison from10/2021 (top) at 30k miles, today (bottom) at 128,500 miles. Looks normal to me.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:58 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Yes, original plugs.
Why not change earlier as recommended? Under an hour it could of been done and no special tools?

Old 12-03-2023, 06:05 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Originally Posted by scraprat
Why not change earlier as recommended? Under an hour it could of been done and no special tools?
yeah, I definitely should have changed them sooner, but there were never any misfires, so we weren't too concerned.
We have two more 21's. They're at the 75k mark. I definitely need to get the plugs changed out on those soon.
However, I'm not going to blame this on plugs, 5 plugs didn't just all the sudden fail at the same time.

Old 12-03-2023, 07:16 AM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,088 Likes on 651 Posts
I'm not going to blame this on plugs, 5 plugs didn't just all the sudden fail at the same time.
Spark plugs left to run out their entire useful life in an engine operating as designed do all fail within the same time frame. Reason why its called preventative maintenance and Ford Lists their recommended change intervals to avoid problems. Ive seen it enough over a career servicing thousands of trucks to date.

FYI - a misfiring engine is no longer a balanced engine and every moving piece in the engine assembly is negatively affected by an imbalance. Can even push certain parts to the point of failure...

When pointing fingers the lack of spark plug maintenance is putting you front and center for what unfolded down the line with other said failures that can be traced back to a simple misfire condition. Your rant and complaints are no different from the majority of similar posts you see on this forum and they all point to user error first. Take this personally and make a change in your practice instead of playing victim and blaming the product that you didn't follow the maintenance schedule on.

The following 3 users liked this post by OverheadCram:
Old 12-03-2023, 09:25 AM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Not buying it? Why? Because you do not understand what causes a cat to plug? Unburned fuel... from your poorly functioning spark plugs...

Old 12-03-2023, 04:17 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Originally Posted by OverheadCram
Spark plugs left to run out their entire useful life in an engine operating as designed do all fail within the same time frame. Reason why its called preventative maintenance and Ford Lists their recommended change intervals to avoid problems. Ive seen it enough over a career servicing thousands of trucks to date.

FYI - a misfiring engine is no longer a balanced engine and every moving piece in the engine assembly is negatively affected by an imbalance. Can even push certain parts to the point of failure...

When pointing fingers the lack of spark plug maintenance is putting you front and center for what unfolded down the line with other said failures that can be traced back to a simple misfire condition. Your rant and complaints are no different from the majority of similar posts you see on this forum and they all point to user error first. Take this personally and make a change in your practice instead of playing victim and blaming the product that you didn't follow the maintenance schedule on.
LOL, the lack of spark plug maintenance isn't putting.me "front and center".
I'm paying for a new motor, the mechanics at Ford should have found the clogged CAT, had they told me I had to replace the engine AND the cat, I would have traded the truck in, instead of putting $21k into a truck.with 130k miles. That's the issue here, not what caused what.

Quick Reply: High mileage 7.3L engines