6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Kind of a weird question... TCW3 oil...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 04:51 PM
Theboneskes
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts
Kind of a weird question... TCW3 oil...

Ive seen guys talk about running TCW3 2 cycle oil in their fuel, does it really help? How much do you ad? Im just curious about it, and wonder who does it? I run FPPF fuel treatment occasionally, and use FPPF in the winter, and FPPF cetane boost when I get biodiesel in the midwest, but thats it... Just curious. Thank you

Old 05-12-2023, 05:30 PM
Jimmy's Pilot Service
Laughing Gas
Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts
In anything 6.0 and newer you will trash your emissions, not sure about the injectors.
7.3 and older it does quiet the injectors down a bit and helps put some wet back into the fuel that is lost by the low sulphur process.
Opti-Lube (many choices)
Power Service (two choices)
Howes (a few choices)
Some even use Hot Shot (just know the name)

Old 05-12-2023, 06:49 PM
Theboneskes
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy's Pilot Service
In anything 6.0 and newer you will trash your emissions, not sure about the injectors.
7.3 and older it does quiet the injectors down a bit and helps put some wet back into the fuel that is lost by the low sulphur process.
Opti-Lube (many choices)
Power Service (two choices)
Howes (a few choices)
Some even use Hot Shot (just know the name)

I dont have a CAT on mine or a muffler, but Im wanting the know what benefit from running it?

Old 05-12-2023, 07:36 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,514 Likes on 1,747 Posts
Early on, people looked for "lubricity" improvement additives to essentially make up for the diesel fuel formulation changes that reduced the diesel fuel lubricity when sulfur had to be reduced.

A study was done in 2007 that indicated that "ashless" TCW3 2-stroke oil was as good as anything else on the market at doing this. This study was based on the use of a "ball-on-plate" friction and wear test (HFRR). The 6.0L has no issues with any of the additives tested - at least not that I have ever seen or heard about.

https://www.dieselplace.com/attachme...n-3-pdf.44499/

Ford recommends their own additive for this, and many people have claimed that it is simply Stanadyne.

There simply is no way to quantify the benefit of these additives, and even the applicability of the test method has been brought into question.

That said, m​​​​​​ost people just end up saying that "It couldn't hurt"!

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-12-2023, 08:00 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
[QUOTE=bismic;20848377]Early on, people looked for "lubricity" improvement additives to essentially make up for the diesel fuel formulation changes that reduced the diesel fuel lubricity when sulfur had to be reduced.

A study was done in 2007 that indicated that "ashless" TCW3 2-stroke oil was as good as anything else on the market at doing this. This study was based on the use of a "ball-on-plate" friction and wear test (HFRR)

https://www.dieselplace.com/attachme...n-3-pdf.44499/

Ford recommends their own additive for this, and many people have claimed that it is simply Stanadyne.

There simply is no way to quantify the benefit of these additives, and even the applicability of the test method has been brought into question.

That said, m​​​​​​ost people just end up saying that "It couldn't hurt"![/QUOTE

What he said.
I've used Walmart marine 2 stroke TcW3 oil for a long time in my truck at 1oz per gallon of fuel.
I bought my truck in late 03.
The idea was to add lubricant to the fuel once diesel was changed to ultra low Sulphur diesel in 07.
Sulphur is a lubricant. So I've used tcw3 to replace what the EPA took out.
I have no hard data to prove me right but I'm going strong on original injectiors at 215K miles.
Many of the common additives have been tested to show they are solvents not lubricants fyi.

Old 05-13-2023, 09:00 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Regarding diesel lubricity:

Typical sulphur compounds do not confer wear protection themselves, rather it is the nitrogen and oxygen containing hetero-compounds that are most important. A complex mixture of polar compounds is found in diesel and some are more active than others. The process of hydrotreating to reduce sulphur levels also destroys some of these natural lubricants.

Old 05-14-2023, 09:38 AM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Mark.

Old 05-14-2023, 10:37 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I know it sounds like nit-picking, but I like chemistry. Whether it is the sulfur or other compounds really makes no difference. I would just hate to see someone looking for a sulfur based additive for their fuel!!

I have to say that I think that the injector improvements that were made in the first 3-4 years of 6.0L production were VERY good. The most recent one (not sure of the date) for the relief cut on the face of the coil assembly end cap was a very good one as well (for stiction relief). That was on the oil side though.

I am not convinced that a lubricity additive really is needed. That said, I have added some sort of lubricity additive for 1/3 to 1/2 of my fill ups (I have used bio-diesel, Stanadyne, and Diesel Kleen). I have 242k miles on the original injectors and going strong. The injectors are a component that they finally got right IMO. Even the remanufactured ones, when done by Pure Power, have a very good reliability record.

Unfortunately that can change on a dime with some poor corporate decisions! Hopefully not though.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:20 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 887 Likes on 672 Posts
I run 2 stroke oil in my IDI engine for past ten years

I also use 2-4 oz per 5 gallons in all my gas carb engines to combat the alcohol abuse done to them, my 420 will start right up after sitting 9 months.