1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Edge Insight CTS3 vs FORScan for Real Time PID Monitoring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 04:51 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Edge Insight CTS3 vs FORScan for Real Time PID Monitoring?

@Sous, @FordTruckNoob, @Tpayne621 and @BWST et al.

What are the pro's con's comparison of Edge Insight vs FORScan for Real Time PID Monitoring?

I would likely permanently display FORScan on a dedicated screen of some sort.

Just like Edge Insight CTS3 is displayed on a dedicated screen.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:12 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,938 Likes on 1,943 Posts
@Tim Hodgson If a dedicated screen is what you’re after then the Android head unit is not it. How fancy does the graphics on the dedicated screen have to be? If dot matrix text will suffice then a Scangauge II does great. If you want fancy graphics on that dedicated screen then the CTS3 is pretty much it.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:18 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,855 Posts
There are advantages and disadvantages to each of the options you have proposed above and only you know what will be right for you. Although, I will provide a few pros for FORScan (FSL) right off the top of my head.

1. You can use a BT adapter for as little as $22 for a BAFX. You can go up to an OBDLink MX+ for $100 or so if you feel the need.
2. You can use an old and outdated phone or tablet that runs iOS or Android.
3. FSL will read 100% of the codes for your van including PCM, VSM and 4R100 codes.
4. FSL has many diagnostic tests it can run in the event you need them.
5. FSL just works with minimal setup.
6. One time purchase for FSL of $5. I have FSL installed on 4 devices and paid $5. It is hosted on the FORScan website now, not Google Play.
7. You can have multiple "profiles" with different PID's you want to view at different times during testing or monitoring.
8. FSL samples data in 8ms sections.
9. You can use the PID Charting Tool created by BWST in seconds if you are trying to track down a problem.
10. FORScan has the ability to change a few things like tire size.
11. The data log is easily output into spreadsheet format viewed by programs like Excel or Open Office.
12. You can send data logs directly from FSL via email or if you are using an old mobile device you can transfer them via WiFi direct or BT.
13. There is a very robust community and forum over at the FORScan website.
14. You can use a wireless charger for the mobile device and remove the device from the vehicle easily if you choose.
15. The device can serve many purposes like navigation, audio streaming, etc... You can run FSL in the background and have navigation on the display and switch back and forth as you see fit.

I am sure I am forgetting a couple of things, but I think you get the idea.

One of the major downfalls is that you cannot read, view or log anything that the PCM, VSM or 4R100 is not capable of. Another is that the display is very basic with only a few color choices for the gauges and zero layout choices other than gauges, line format or graph format.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:28 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
Can I buy a dedicated Android or iOS tablet and have the graphic gauge displays?

Are the various versions of FORScan? If so, should I consider a more complete/expensive version?

I really don't want anything which is subscription based...

Old 05-09-2023, 07:18 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Can I buy a dedicated Android or iOS tablet and have the graphic gauge displays?

Are the various versions of FORScan? If so, should I consider a more complete/expensive version?

I really don't want anything which is subscription based...
- If you are referring to FSL, then yes and Android would be cheaper. I used to run FSL on a Droid2 phone after I upgraded and it no longer had cell service. The old devices still work on WiFi or BT. If you are referring to ScanGaugeII, that is a viable option and I don't know about the pretty display capabilities.

- There are, but PC FORScan is free unless you want "advanced" features that 99% of people don't want. FSL is a one time $5 purchase and has 90% of the features of regular FORScan.

- There are no subscription costs for either version of FORScan.

Take a look here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-q-and-a.html

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-09-2023, 08:48 PM
Tpayne621
Cargo Master
Received 1,080 Likes on 696 Posts
Biggest downfall between both is you can't add a egt to the forscan or other gauges like fuel pressure coolant temp. But forscan does do cct and buzz tests which tbe cts3 does not. Honestly to me both are worth having forscan setup can for cheap. Think I got 20 bucks in the Bluetooth dongle and the app. I hardly ever use it. Maybe when I'm clearing a code on my ranger or want to read something on it. My on me 250 with the cts3 ive omly ever used the forscan for playing around trying out the cct and buzz test.

Could start off with forscan since it's cheap enough and see if you happy with that setup. If you already have something to use as a screen.

I prefer the cts3. It's dedicate. Always there. Boots up and is showing gauges about 5 seconds after you start it without connecting anything or pushing any buttons. Can add whatever gauges you want. Can even use it for a switch panel and turn on lights or other accessories. Does cost more then forscan obviously if you already have something to use as a screen.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:26 PM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Received 535 Likes on 410 Posts
ForScan gives the most indepth info.
I have the BT modules, and the USB Cable for a Windows laptop

I have the CTS-3 and you can change the PID you want to monitor while flying down the highway.

I changed Batt Volts on the 1st screen to ICP which I thought was more valuable.

I already have a DVM in the power port, it shows Volts

the CTS-3 has 3 screens, the last one is way too busy to use while driving
the 2nd screen isn't much good in stock form, it needs to be modified, just never messed with it

Old 05-09-2023, 10:59 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
@Tpayne621 for the Win !

Originally Posted by Tpayne621
Biggest downfall between both is you can't add a egt to the forscan or other gauges like fuel pressure coolant temp.
I want instant visual of dual EGTs, fuel pressure and transmission temp.

And I have New Generation STAR with the appropriate card for my vehicle for testing, so that can substitute for FORScan for now.

Thank you Brothers for all the advice and help!

Old 05-10-2023, 01:20 AM
FinnishStroker
Cargo Master
Received 783 Likes on 482 Posts
Forscan for troubleshooting and data logging.

Torque app for just monitoring,screen,themes and gauges can Be customized.

Have you checked Hewitt dual EGT gauges?

Old 05-10-2023, 07:13 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
I want instant visual of dual EGTs, fuel pressure and transmission temp.
FORScan is not right for you if you want all of that on a single screen. If not, the dual EGT gauge that Finnishstroker mentioned is what I was referring to in your other "what gauges" thread.

If you want PCM and auxiliary data on one screen, your options are limited and you likely know what they are.

@Tim Hodgson , good luck with your project and we all hope you are happy with the end result.