2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

S&B fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 10:27 PM
kevin211
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S&B fuel Tank

Looking to install a 68 Gallon fuel tank. Has anyone used this brand any issues I need to be aware of? It is going on a 2022 F350.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:56 AM
drj564
Cross-Country
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
I have it on my 2020. It’s been great and 2 issues that I have.

1. It uses the stock float for the fuel gauge. The tank is taller and deeper than the stock tank which means the float stays at full longer and at E there is about 8 gallons left. The float at the top for 200 plus miles screws up the DTE calculation. Not a big deal but….

2. The little valve that keeps diesel from shooting out of the fill while filling when the tank is full is too small to allow filling at truck stops in the truck lanes. It won’t pass enough fuel like the stock one does so it shuts the pump off. I pulled it completely out but now have to wrap a paper towel around the fill neck of the handle to keep it from burping back. Not an issue if you fill at regular diesel pumps that don’t fill as fast. For me it’s an issue while stopping at truck stops with a 43’ 5th wheel.

Other than those, it’s a great tank and love the extra capacity.

Edit: Note that the DTE issue in number 1 is NOT caused by the extra capacity. The capacity is fixed with Forscan or S and B can send you a device to change the capacity calculation. The issue comes from the gauge not moving for so long and the truck still thinks the tank is 100% full. The computer resets the DTE every so often.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-13-2023, 09:38 AM
rtripp
Cross-Country
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
I have had 3 of these tanks. All on Ford F350. 2019, 2021 and now my 2022. I think that the product is excellent. I have purchased several things from S&B over the years and have found that all of the items have been great. The customer service is also fantastic. I highly recommend them. The extra fuel is a game changer when towing the Toy Hauler.

The following 2 users liked this post by rtripp:
Old 02-13-2023, 10:21 AM
msudenga
Cross-Country
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I just installed it a few weeks ago and love the added capacity. It was a fairly straight forward install as well.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Bananasfoster
DEPLOY TRUNK MONKEY
Received 829 Likes on 359 Posts
Anyone have enough problems with it to regret, and wish you just put a medium sized tank in the bed?

I am VERY apprehensive after reading all the historical threads where people had problems.

I have absolutely ZERO confidence now in people or products. Therefore I try to keep things simple in order to limit the amount of incompetence that seeps into my life from others, and if I have to forscan the truck and then hope that floats work and installers aren't on meth then I know there is a 0% chance I wont have problems.. However at the same time I need the extra fuel for the toy hauler days...

Old 02-13-2023, 10:43 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,433 Likes on 1,467 Posts
Originally Posted by Bananasfoster
Anyone have enough problems with it to regret, and wish you just put a medium sized tank in the bed?

I am VERY apprehensive after reading all the historical threads where people had problems.

I have absolutely ZERO confidence now in people or products. Therefore I try to keep things simple in order to limit the amount of incompetence that seeps into my life from others, and if I have to forscan the truck and then hope that floats work and installers aren't on meth then I know there is a 0% chance I wont have problems.. However at the same time I need the extra fuel for the toy hauler days...
What problems have people had? I haven't seen anything about problems with this tank, here or on the few YT videos I have seen on them.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:54 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,448 Likes on 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
What problems have people had? I haven't seen anything about problems with this tank.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nk-issues.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post19636570

Old 02-13-2023, 11:12 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,433 Likes on 1,467 Posts
That first link sounds like the guy is having some issues... but the second link is full of folks that are happy with it and only just a couple of comments reporting DTE issues... which sounds like it could be due to a few reasons, one of which, improper installation. I guess they are "problems" though... it is nice seeing that someone from S&B is at least a little active in the threads though and reaching out.

Old 02-13-2023, 11:21 AM
AZDUALLY
Mountain Pass
Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

It doesn't matter what you buy - someone always has issues.

I have seen a lot of these tanks installed and nobody has had issues that i personally know. I prefer an in bed aux tank just to eliminate any DTE issues.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:04 PM
gSwift
More Turbo
Received 260 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by drj564
I have it on my 2020. It’s been great and 2 issues that I have.

1. It uses the stock float for the fuel gauge. The tank is taller and deeper than the stock tank which means the float stays at full longer and at E there is about 8 gallons left. The float at the top for 200 plus miles screws up the DTE calculation. Not a big deal but….

2. The little valve that keeps diesel from shooting out of the fill while filling when the tank is full is too small to allow filling at truck stops in the truck lanes. It won’t pass enough fuel like the stock one does so it shuts the pump off. I pulled it completely out but now have to wrap a paper towel around the fill neck of the handle to keep it from burping back. Not an issue if you fill at regular diesel pumps that don’t fill as fast. For me it’s an issue while stopping at truck stops with a 43’ 5th wheel.

Other than those, it’s a great tank and love the extra capacity.

Edit: Note that the DTE issue in number 1 is NOT caused by the extra capacity. The capacity is fixed with Forscan or S and B can send you a device to change the capacity calculation. The issue comes from the gauge not moving for so long and the truck still thinks the tank is 100% full. The computer resets the DTE every so often.
Any idea if the Titan fuel tanks will allow normal operation at the truck lanes without having to modify like you mentioned above?

Old 02-14-2023, 02:34 PM
Buckeye-SD
Mountain Pass
Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by gSwift
Any idea if the Titan fuel tanks will allow normal operation at the truck lanes without having to modify like you mentioned above?
Not according to this thread....

Old 02-14-2023, 04:23 PM
gSwift
More Turbo
Received 260 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckeye-SD
Not according to this thread....
Well damn... seems like both of the aftermarket tank solutions are flawed. Theres no chance i'd want to risk getting this massive truck and 43' camper in a regular gas station. You'd think one or the other would realize that most people needing their bigger tanks will be pulling large campers or trailers, and would therefore need to use the ease and accessibility of the truck lanes.

The following 2 users liked this post by gSwift:
Old 02-14-2023, 09:23 PM
Locotenentu
Cross-Country
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Can you fill up at truck stops with the large nozzle without having to hold the pump on low or medium flow due to venting issues ?

Old 02-14-2023, 09:24 PM
azfansinnc
Tuned
Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts
I have the S&B 60 gallon in my 22 CCSB (stock 34 gallons). Best thing since sliced bread. Yes, the one way valve in the hose is a little restrictive but I can still use the truck stop pumps...you just don't mash the handle all the way. It won't go to the first click and I need to feather it. However, I can still fill it up in just over 3 minutes so, while it's a little annoying, its not bad enough to be considered a major issue. I also wondered if it would work better if it was installed with the pivot shaft vertical? I have not taken it apart to try that theory.

The only other negative is that it "enhances" the SD lean a little bit.

Old 02-14-2023, 09:30 PM
azfansinnc
Tuned
Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Locotenentu
Can you fill up at truck stops with the large nozzle without having to hold the pump on low or medium flow due to venting issues ?
My experience with the S&B one way/tip over valve installed is no. It's not a venting issue. It's that the valve is too restrictive.

Has anyone tried to install the OEM one?

Quick Reply: S&B fuel Tank