2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

S&B fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 08:57 AM
Buckeye-SD
Mountain Pass
Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by gSwift
Well damn... seems like both of the aftermarket tank solutions are flawed. Theres no chance i'd want to risk getting this massive truck and 43' camper in a regular gas station. You'd think one or the other would realize that most people needing their bigger tanks will be pulling large campers or trailers, and would therefore need to use the ease and accessibility of the truck lanes.
Here's the response I got from S&B on the issue:

Thanks for reaching out, you can still use the commercial pump on the S&B fuel tank by hand, which means you cannot have the nozzle on automatically pump due to the speed rate of commercial pump. S&B fuel tank has double the size and thicker material, it does not have the same ventilate rate as stock fuel tank. I will not recommend using a different check valve, since the purpose of the check valve its to stop the fuel tank to be 100% full so there's room for ventilation, also stopping the nozzle when it's about to be full.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-15-2023, 10:30 PM
Kmdcolo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the 68 gallon tank on my 2020 F450 this past summer. The install was fairly easy. I did it in my garage by myself with basic tools. I used motorcycle straps to secure and raise/lower the tank. Biggest challenge was hand pumping the diesel between the old and new tanks.

The tank is taller and the gauge doesn’t move for the first 200 miles. I am still learning how much fuel is remaining at empty because I don’t like running my tank that low. I am less stressed towing as I have more options on when and where I want to stop for fuel.

no issues.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:22 AM
B-ManFX4
Laughing Gas

Received 803 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Locotenentu
Can you fill up at truck stops with the large nozzle without having to hold the pump on low or medium flow due to venting issues ?
I always fill up at the truck stops. I have found that if you fill the tank with the handle wide open you get so much foaming of the fuel it trips the auto shut-off way before it is full. I put the handle on the 1st click which is slow by big truck standards but still flows way more fuel than a standard automotive pump. While it fills I use the long-reach windshield cleaner to scrub my windshield. By the time I have finished doing that the tank is roughly 3/4 - 7/8 full. I wait for the pump to click off and then I manually fill another gallon or so.

I am unsure if maybe the tank has changed for other models but mine seems to work almost perfectly. I say almost because when it is full it takes about 200 miles until the gauge comes off Full. However, I have found that the DTE calculation and warnings when nearing empty are pretty spot on. When it tells me 50 miles to empty and I fill up it usually takes right around 57 gallons or so. That lines up perfectly with my 17 MPG average of mixed use driving. When towing my RV I get right at 11 MPG so I know I have roughly 600 miles of safe range with a full tank.

I have not had any issue with the tank dripping, leaking out the vent, etc. I've parked on steep inclines with a full tank, both in the heads up and heads down position, without issue. I would not hesitate to buy the S&B tank - their customer service was great and the product simply works without issues in my truck.

The following 2 users liked this post by B-ManFX4:
Old 02-16-2023, 07:42 AM
AMEC Electric LLC
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I was thinking of doing the 68 gallon as well. I know it sits about two inches lower than stock. Is it noticeable?

Old 02-17-2023, 08:29 PM
KPFlyz
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Titan 55 gallon tank in my 2019 F350 and a 2017 F250. Have had zero problems and very happy to have the increase range.

I fill my Truck like B-ManFx4 describes with no issues

Old 02-17-2023, 11:47 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 130 Likes on 67 Posts
S&B 60 gallon on my 2018. Going on 1.5 years with it and it’s still one of the best mods I’ve done to any of my Super Duty’s over the years.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:44 AM
drj564
Cross-Country
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by azfansinnc
My experience with the S&B one way/tip over valve installed is no. It's not a venting issue. It's that the valve is too restrictive.

Has anyone tried to install the OEM one?
I looked at doing this but the OEM is connected to the stock tank in the fill neck. The S&B just slips into the fill hose. The good thing is the S&B is easily removed.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:52 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,468 Posts
This thread is going just as I expected and is what leads me to want the S&B tank. Lots of great experiences with only a very few, minor issues that’s really no different from the other aftermarket tanks.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:03 AM
gSwift
More Turbo
Received 270 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
This thread is going just as I expected and is what leads me to want the S&B tank. Lots of great experiences with only a very few, minor issues that’s really no different from the other aftermarket tanks.
I agree, the "issues" are minor and i'll definitely still be getting one. I just wish S&B or Titan would at least address the float issue so it would read more accurately that way we aren't having to guess how much fuel is left when it reaches empty. Even though I rarely ever let it get that low anyways

Old 02-18-2023, 09:18 AM
B-ManFX4
Laughing Gas

Received 803 Likes on 367 Posts
You don't have to guess how much is left when the gauge reads empty. Drive the truck until the 50 miles to empty warning comes on. Fill it up and note how many gallons it takes. Do that two or three more times and you will get a very good idea of how many gallons are left when the 50 mile warning comes on. For my standard use scenario of mixed highway and city driving it is right at 3 gallons left when I get the warning. The most inaccurate time of the full tank life cycle is when it is first filled. I will drive over 200 miles before it finally comes off of Full. From that point on it tracks usage pretty accurately.

The following 2 users liked this post by B-ManFX4:
Old 02-18-2023, 11:48 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,468 Posts
I always fill up between 1/4 and 1/2 so that’s never an issue for me!

Old 02-19-2023, 10:32 AM
Squirrel13
Laughing Gas
Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts
I have had no issues with my 60g on my 2020. I love being able to pick fuel stops. The range frequently lets me get to another county or state. Unloaded I drove from Denver to Louisville. I mainly got it for towing range increase.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:04 PM
ZooDad
Received 644 Likes on 379 Posts
Check out what got delivered today

Got the transfer pump also.

ZooDad

The following 6 users liked this post by ZooDad:
6.2caribou, Buckeye-SD, chadstickpoindexter, gSwift, Joezilla, Squirrel13 and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-19-2023, 10:30 PM
nickshu
Tuned
Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
I put the 60 gallon S&B in my 2021 F-250 CCSB. Did the install myself with one helper. Should have taken about 4 hours, but took 6 hours b/c of an issue w/ the upper bracket bolts, which it turned out S&B send me bad hardware. Nuts were metric w/ SAE bolts, got them stuck on. Upper bracket is not easily accessible to cut them off b/c the nuts go blind up in a recess under the cab...after trying several things, I was able to cut off with a small reciprocating trim saw I got from HF, and several blades. That sucked. S&B was very apologetic. They sent new hardware overnight, but I had already finished the install w/ new correct bolts from the hardware store that same day.

Beyond that the tank was easy to install and has performed flawlessly for 25K miles since. Very happy w/ it.

My only advice other than precheck the hardware, is to make sure you route the two vent lines correctly, and double check them before you bolt the tank in place. They are very easy to get out of place as you put the tank up in position.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:01 PM
R6-350
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gSwift
Well damn... seems like both of the aftermarket tank solutions are flawed. Theres no chance i'd want to risk getting this massive truck and 43' camper in a regular gas station. You'd think one or the other would realize that most people needing their bigger tanks will be pulling large campers or trailers, and would therefore need to use the ease and accessibility of the truck lanes.
I'm with ya on this one. I avoid regular gas stations as much as I can because a 40+ ft toy hauler isn't exactly nimble.

With that being said, I think I'm going to do it. I've got a oem 48 gallon and 7mpg while towing, need something I can go further with between fill ups. Any shops in Socal LA/OC area you guys recommend?

Side question: Any solutions to getting gas in a toy hauler without lugging 5 five gallon jugs to fill it up? haha.

Quick Reply: S&B fuel Tank