Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

A heads up on Ford Extended Warranties over the net

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 06:41 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 421 Likes on 279 Posts
A heads up on Ford Extended Warranties over the net

I'm more than happy with how I was treated by a Ford dealer that offers discount warranties to us on FTE.

But a caveat is that the online system you might use to generate your contract, could be full of bugs; as in, what you think you have bought, might not be what you had signed up for.

So, whomever you go through, either take their offer and go through each and every detail at your local dealer and get as close to a match as you can, OR: read the Contract you get back VERY carefully, you might find any of a number of things were captured (or not even asked) by the online system, that are wrong or defaults, etc., which then that system generates the actual Contract with Ford...

Just been through it is all...

Old 01-05-2023, 06:56 PM
JKBrad
Received 809 Likes on 594 Posts
Good point. More than a few have bought what amounts to pre paid maintenance for an extended period time when they though they bought an extended warranty.

A warranty is essentially an insurance policy marketed as "protection". I'm surprised the big insurance companies haven't gotten in on it, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:03 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Yes, we bought a Maintenance Plan at purchase - because the Finance guy said it needed more maintenance than it did (once I got home and read the manual), so that was cancelled...

But, I can't be the only one here, worrying about the electronic stuff out of the 36/36 warranty?! Maybe I just had a bad experience with the Benz, but if any damn thing goes wrong on this truck, I absolutely think this Extended Warranty will pay out in spades...

Old 01-05-2023, 08:58 PM
JKBrad
Received 809 Likes on 594 Posts
The good thing is that Fords are a whole lot more popular than an overly complicated Mercedes. Many of the things that break or go bad, can be replaced for a relatively reasonable cost, or have an aftermarket replacement, just due to the sheer number of these trucks on the road. The Infotainment is a good example of the aftermarket having an affordable and often better replacement. And it seems that the most complained about electronic failure here is Sync3. Everything else seems to be very reliable. Some sunroof and sliding rear window issues reported once in awhile. Even the LED headlights seem to be holding up fairly well, except for a few reporting that the lenses get weird cracks in them.

The good thing is that with Millions of just this generation on the road, complaints really aren't reported here all that much. With some vehicles out there, their forums are full of a lot of people who have the same issues over and over again. GM truck 5.3s and 8 speed autos come to mind. Ford 6.4s, the 2022 Tundra transmissions, just to name a few off the top of my head.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:24 AM
wrgrimes
5th Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I'm more than happy with how I was treated by a Ford dealer that offers discount warranties to us on FTE.

But a caveat is that the online system you might use to generate your contract, could be full of bugs; as in, what you think you have bought, might not be what you had signed up for.

So, whomever you go through, either take their offer and go through each and every detail at your local dealer and get as close to a match as you can, OR: read the Contract you get back VERY carefully, you might find any of a number of things were captured (or not even asked) by the online system, that are wrong or defaults, etc., which then that system generates the actual Contract with Ford...

Just been through it is all...
I am holding an online Ford Extended Service Plan that is within the cancellation period.
Your warnings are very vague. What specifically should I be looking for that you are concerned regarding omissions, additions or errors? My dealer gave me a brochure and 4 options. The online dealer had the same brochure and 4 options, for a much better price. I compared other online dealers, one only offered 3 of the 4 options but was otherwise the same.
Specifically, what am I missing?
Are there bad actors that you need to make us aware of?
It is clear that you feel very strongly about the issue, please give us more insight.

Old 01-07-2023, 01:08 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by wrgrimes
I am holding an online Ford Extended Service Plan that is within the cancellation period.
Your warnings are very vague. What specifically should I be looking for that you are concerned regarding omissions, additions or errors? My dealer gave me a brochure and 4 options. The online dealer had the same brochure and 4 options, for a much better price. I compared other online dealers, one only offered 3 of the 4 options but was otherwise the same.
Specifically, what am I missing?
Are there bad actors that you need to make us aware of?
It is clear that you feel very strongly about the issue, please give us more insight.
Specifically:
The Brochure for the Premium plan says the Key Services is a Benefit within your Ford Protect PremiumCARE coverage. The system that this specific Dealer has for online ordering, never asks if you want to include that - I didn't question it because based on the Brochure it should be in there. The Contract that was generated, under the Plan Coverage section has the box checked that says Key Services Delete. Their system only asked if I wanted the interior/exterior Lighting (at zero cost) which I selected. Several other options are listed in the Brochure: Pickup and Delivery, First Day Rental and Enhanced Rental - their online system never asks if you want Any of those 3, they are just defaulted in the Contract that is generated to: no Pickup & Delivery selected, and the Delete box is checked for the two Rental options. In addition, as you go through the process the order system asks about your usage: Like if you have a factory Plow Package and do you Plow with your truck, I don't have that option and do Not plow with my truck, so of course I said No. The Dealer sent me what their system spit out, and it had: Yes, Snow Plow - don't know if this caused a price increase or not.

The main thing I wanted corrected was the Key Services - which the dealer did a contract change for (and it appeared to be an extra $100 option, for which I was not charged). They didn't seem to care about the other problems with their system. I didn't mention their name as I gave a very good clue as to who the dealer is (look in the 2021+ F150 forum). I think it is a System problem, not a bad actor dealer. I read through a thread here about this dealer offering a fixed "over cost" pricing for extended warranties. In that thread it makes mention of developing an Online system to get pricing and sign up, so my assumption is this is their own system they had developed.

My purpose is solely to alert others who may be in the market for a Ford extended warranty - I don't have any ax to grind as they corrected the main issue I had.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-07-2023, 02:20 PM
wrgrimes
5th Wheeling
Thanks
My receipt includes 1st day & enhanced rental, keys and lights. Pick up & delivery we’re not offered by my dealer or on line.
As with all contracts, the options wording is confusing.
I will call Monday to clarify. (Emailed today)

Old 01-07-2023, 02:34 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Thanks
My receipt includes 1st day & enhanced rental, keys and lights. Pick up & delivery we’re not offered by my dealer or on line.
As with all contracts, the options wording is confusing.
I will call Monday to clarify. (Emailed today)
You're welcome!

Curious - if this is the Online Warranty that you are getting - how did you get the quote? (Phone Call, via some ordering system, email, or?)

Coincidentally to me signing up for one online, we got a flyer from Ford/our selling dealership about extending our warranty - it said to either contact our Dealer or they have a call center just for the extended warranties - and the flyer really highlights the Call center number all over it...!

On edit: We were able to use our FordPass credits towards the Warranty price - see if you can do that too...

Old 01-07-2023, 04:45 PM
wrgrimes
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
You're welcome!

Curious - if this is the Online Warranty that you are getting - how did you get the quote? (Phone Call, via some ordering system, email, or?)

Coincidentally to me signing up for one online, we got a flyer from Ford/our selling dealership about extending our warranty - it said to either contact our Dealer or they have a call center just for the extended warranties - and the flyer really highlights the Call center number all over it...!

On edit: We were able to use our FordPass credits towards the Warranty price - see if you can do that too...
I have the Ford Protect PremiumCare w/roadside plan 6yr/125,000mi
The FordPass app has the appropriate miles and dates, deductable and rental information; keys have the be approved through WEPA
I purchased directly from Flood online (no calls).
I did not use points- will save for service.
Extended warranty populated in my FordPass app within about 24hr (I had to correct my name in the app- Floods information said the app and contract had to match exactly).
After our previous exchange, I emailed Flood. They responded promptly that I have all 4 options which I paid for in the contract (the contract has spaces to check in order to EXCLUDE the addons).
I have printed the contract and email exchanges with paid receipt to keep in my truck.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-07-2023, 05:09 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
I have the Ford Protect PremiumCare w/roadside plan 6yr/125,000mi
The FordPass app has the appropriate miles and dates, deductable and rental information; keys have the be approved through WEPA
I purchased directly from Flood online (no calls).
I did not use points- will save for service.
Extended warranty populated in my FordPass app within about 24hr (I had to correct my name in the app- Floods information said the app and contract had to match exactly).
After our previous exchange, I emailed Flood. They responded promptly that I have all 4 options which I paid for in the contract (the contract has spaces to check in order to EXCLUDE the addons).
I have printed the contract and email exchanges with paid receipt to keep in my truck.
Thanks for all the info - I sent you a PM...

Old 01-24-2023, 01:51 PM
GettinBucky
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What dealer is the best one to buy from for the Ford ESP, best as in pricing.....

Old 01-24-2023, 02:07 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by GettinBucky
What dealer is the best one to buy from for the Ford ESP, best as in pricing.....
Just comparing the ESP I bought from Granger Ford to Flood Ford, Granger was less. But, the caveat is Granger's online signup system is buggy - it doesn't offer you all the ESP optional coverage that there is. Flood Ford has a much better online system and only missed one option that I could see.

Study the brochures and decide what are key features you want. And if I were to do it over again, I'd just call and get a quote over the phone... One thing to note: pretty much everything I read, even from Ford, was the longest plan you could buy was 8 years from in-service date. Both the above online systems offered up to 10 years of coverage, and that is what I bought...

Good luck!