2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Trailer safety/chain hook woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 04:51 AM
f350larry
Mountain Pass
Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 110 Motorsports
What rating did you go with? I'm torn as the hitch is 24,200 and not sure if each device should be rated close to that or 50%. I've had a trailer come off and go up under the truck, luckily the chains held. But just curious, if you're hauling the 24k or close to, no guarantee, chains will catch at the same time. But then not likely a full 24,000 lbs of force either.
Update:
Going to try these Grade 100's
1/2" V10 Grade 100 Alloy Coupling Link (Hammerlock) (autohaulersupply.com)

Mine said Grade 80 and 12k rating... No mention of WLL rating. Heaviest I've towed on the receiver was a 32' foot long travel trailer, something like 9k loaded.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:40 AM
110 Motorsports
Mountain Pass
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by f350larry
Mine said Grade 80 and 12k rating... No mention of WLL rating. Heaviest I've towed on the receiver was a 32' foot long travel trailer, something like 9k loaded.
thank you. I tow 14k right now but that could go up to 17k to over 20k. I’m just not sure on how to calculate what’s needed. Just curious, for a hitch to be rated at 24k, it may be the best they could do to support that much weight and a hook that fits it is generally the smallest that will support the weight. Then for smaller trailers they can’t trust users with a smaller attachment location for liability reasons. Just read the thread and search social media on what some do with their “creative thinking”.

Old 10-13-2022, 06:01 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 334 Likes on 198 Posts
Why have safety chains with very high WLL and/or maximum load ratings? If you think about it, the safety chain hardware need not be stronger than that necessary to retain the lighter of the two vehicles. If the tow vehicle weighs 10K# and the towed vehicle weighs 20K#, you only need safety chain hardware suitable for the loads imparted by the 10K# tow vehicle. Basically, strong enough so the "tail can wag the dog."

The following 2 users liked this post by cficare:
Old 10-13-2022, 09:22 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BSHORT
Yeah, it sucks, but it's only $20. Rather have a shackle than a Ram.
Think you meant dodge.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:07 AM
westracing01
Tuned
Received 158 Likes on 97 Posts
Rental trailer last week, the hooks wouldn't fit. I had thought it might be the case, so I had installed 12k hammerlocks beforehand as I wanted no issues.

Hammerlocks went in perfect. Didn't need any clamps or what not. Just get the pin lined up and swing away.

They don't rattle, or if they do, I can't hear them.

The following 2 users liked this post by westracing01:
Old 10-16-2022, 06:02 PM
52Flthed
Laughing Gas
Received 262 Likes on 146 Posts
I would not trust Carabiners for this type of application just instinctually. In my eyes they aren't meant for chain to chain or metal to metal connections. They come out of the world of rope work and mountain climbing and are meant for rope connections. I would use a good USA made Shackle purchased at a Marine supply house. They are used on moorings under extreme shock and loads for connecting chain to chain. The fact that Carabiners have that spring mechanism in them is reason enough for me to reject them given a choice. Thats my take on it at least.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:29 PM
Smoking Joe
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTexDiesal
Classic idiot Ford. 6 years of the same ineffective safety chain attachment design requiring paying customers to find a band aid. Sounds like a good lawsuit if an accident occurs and customer had to jerry rig the Ford design to connect standard safety chains. Never buy another Ford, they just don't get it.
never had a problem once. I'd make some joke about maybe your trailer is too small, but I've towed tiny trailers too.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:36 AM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,428 Posts
I think the hitch has very good chain securement, and can guarantee these people appreciate it as well.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:50 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,478 Posts
Originally Posted by acdii
I think the hitch has very good chain securement, and can guarantee these people appreciate it as well.

https://people.com/thmb/MDMZINa7DeFW...0d8767ed53.jpg
It’s not how secure the hitch is that’s the issue so much as being able to actually attach some hooks to the hitch so that it can be secure. I love how beefy these hitches are, but hated that I had to add shackles or change hooks to do so. The hitch on the 23’s look like they will be better maybe.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:06 AM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,428 Posts
Apparently those people figured out how to attach the hooks though. From other pics I saw, the chains were the only thing keeping the truck from dropping 150'. The simple solution I found is just to find chain hooks that fit and latch in and just replace the ones that don't instead of relying on a third component that could break.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:15 AM
Super91
5th Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Very interesting thread. I have a 2012 F-250 and when I got the truck I knew I was going to be pulling some heavier equipment trailers, 5th wheel and a boat with it and had issues with the trailer hooks not fitting well, so I researched and had found the hammerlocks way back then as the best option I could find. I actually bought a 4 set pack and gave a set to each of my sons for their trucks, and one set to a buddy who is always pulling like me. I ordered another set the other day for my one sons work van, and another set for my new 2022 F-350. Of all the different things I've seen used for safety chain connections, the hammerlinks seem to have the best ratings and ease of use. The one thing I did on mine is before I installed them I took some heavy duty industrial heat shrink tubing and put on the side that is hanging on the truck so it will not rub the paint off and will be more quiet, even though I've never heard them rattle in all the vehicles I've had them on. They give me the most peace of mind and so far I've never seen or heard of a failure using these. Same thing with a pintle hitch ring. The way they are forged they have some incredible strength ratings so I would be led to believe these hammerlinks would be similarly as tough.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:47 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,478 Posts
Originally Posted by acdii
Apparently those people figured out how to attach the hooks though. From other pics I saw, the chains were the only thing keeping the truck from dropping 150'. The simple solution I found is just to find chain hooks that fit and latch in and just replace the ones that don't instead of relying on a third component that could break.
Considering the size of that camper, the hooks were likely larger. This story has been around for a while (this is the second time it was mentioned in this same thread) and I don’t know all the details. Did they use something to attach the chains? I don’t know… the point of this whole thread is that Ford started using a hitch that many hooks won’t fit. And for several reasons already mentioned, just changing the hooks isn’t always the best option, so adding shackles or hammerlocks became popular. Clearly there is an issue, and finally Ford has recognized it and it appears they are addressing these issues by redesigning the hitch.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-19-2022, 10:39 AM
ttavasc
Mountain Pass

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
Considering the size of that camper, the hooks were likely larger. This story has been around for a while (this is the second time it was mentioned in this same thread) and I don’t know all the details. Did they use something to attach the chains? I don’t know… the point of this whole thread is that Ford started using a hitch that many hooks won’t fit. And for several reasons already mentioned, just changing the hooks isn’t always the best option, so adding shackles or hammerlocks became popular. Clearly there is an issue, and finally Ford has recognized it and it appears they are addressing these issues by redesigning the hitch.
This accident happened in March 2021. At the time a poster on another RV forum I frequent was a member of the emergency services team that rescued the folks and provided these additional details about the incident. I'm not sure what year the F350 is but it appears to be an older model and may have a different hitch design than the one on my 2019 where I've added hammerlocks. We pass through this section of Idaho at least once or twice a year towing - in fact we went through there less than a week after this incident - so I am regularly reminded of the importance of ensuring everything is in order with my hitch and safety chains.

"This accident happened today in Idaho. Excessive speed, sway, and load mis-management each played a part in this accident. Luckily my rescue team was fortunate enough to rescue both occupants and 2 dogs from this crash.

This F350 single rear wheel truck was equipped with a Reese WDH with a sway bar, but he also had a rack on the back with a large generator, spare tire, firewood, and other camping gear on a Curt receiver hitch cargo rack.

The skid marks told the story, with evidence of multiple sway action as he entered a curve on the interstate, which in Idaho has a speed limit of 80 mph. The trailer overtook the truck, causing it to Jack knife, the trailer contacted the right Jersey barrier, and pushed the truck over the left Jersey barrier and over the side of the bridge. The trailer ball was pulled out of the hitch and the truck was dangling dangerously by only one remaining safety chain until emergency crews arrived and secured it with 3 heavy chains to a semi truck who happened to be right behind the accident. The bridge crosses a deep, narrow gorge (approximately 150 feet deep), which had the single remaining chain failed, the truck would have plummeted to the bottom."

"One of the witnesses was in a semi truck, stated that he himself was traveling 68 mph and the Ford/trailer passed him going “significantly faster” and had some sway at that time, other witnesses also spoke about witnessing sway several miles back before the accident, the ISP officer I spoke to initially estimated his speed around 80, the winds were very mild that day. I have not seen the official investigation report.

Other factors in that location is a curve leading into the area of the bridge, which has varying degrees of radius, relatively flat canter, and a divvy in the road that causes cars and trucks to bounce a bit.

If you’ve ever heard of the Swiss cheese model, then you will understand that each fraction of variance of acceptable behavior adds an increased risk factor. In most accident investigations there are usually several factors leading to the accident, most of which are latent factors, which stacked together create a cumulative effect. The Swiss cheese model of accident causation is a model used in risk analysis and risk management.

I’m not saying that everything this guy did was an accident waiting to happen, and each of us have been known to push the limits at one time or another, but on this day, all the holes in the cheese lined up together."

Malad Gorge, ID

The following 2 users liked this post by ttavasc:
Old 10-19-2022, 11:23 AM
Stink_Whistle
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did these for my truck the other day. 5/8" 3 1/4T Shackles.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:39 PM
Slowthump
Mountain Pass
Received 156 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by River Wild
I shake my head when I see all the junk people buy to hang on their hitched instead of using a real hook on the trailer end like a couple posts above. Hell of a lot cheaper too and takes maybe 5 min to swap them out. There is nothing wrong with the hitch on these trucks at all.
I fully agree. A lot of dorks out their complaining that their wimpy chain hooks don't fit a heavy duty hitch. Then they go and spend 10x what it would cost to get a properly stout chain and hook end for a fancy pants shackle with half the strength.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Trailer safety/chain hook woes