2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Trailer safety/chain hook woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 02:42 PM
Super91
5th Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowthump
I fully agree. A lot of dorks out their complaining that their wimpy chain hooks don't fit a heavy duty hitch. Then they go and spend 10x what it would cost to get a properly stout chain and hook end for a fancy pants shackle with half the strength.
Why don't you just go ahead and tell us how you really feel about it.....LOL

Old 10-20-2022, 02:52 PM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,478 Posts
I fully agree. A lot of dorks out their complaining that their wimpy chain hooks don't fit a heavy duty hitch. Then they go and spend 10x what it would cost to get a properly stout chain and hook end for a fancy pants shackle with half the strength.
Speaking of dorks… how about those dorky engineers over at Ford that came up with a hitch that wouldn’t work with so many different hooks! I mean, did they even try it out, or did they just draw a picture and say: “Wow, that looks awesome! Plus it’s different from anything else out there! Send it!”

The following 4 users liked this post by chadstickpoindexter:
Old 10-20-2022, 03:38 PM
Keokie
More Turbo
Received 468 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
Speaking of dorks… how about those dorky engineers over at Ford that came up with a hitch that wouldn’t work with so many different hooks! I mean, did they even try it out, or did they just draw a picture and say: “Wow, that looks awesome! Plus it’s different from anything else out there! Send it!”

So for my stuff, I just put heavy hooks that work with my hitch on the chains. However, the problem still arises if you have a need to hook up to another trailer for some reason. Not always convenient to go get appropriate new hooks every time you have a need to tow something else. The design is a fail for that reason.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-20-2022, 04:31 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,848 Likes on 1,382 Posts
3/8" G70 hooks are wimpy?

And my two shackles cost less than ONE hook.

Yup, I'm a dork!

Old 10-20-2022, 06:35 PM
Flatland1
Mountain Pass
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
These are the hooks that came on the chains on my camper. I cut them off and swapped them out for some 3/8" Clovis hooks that I picked up for cheap at Lowes and hook those into the 3/4" D Rings. I will most likely be swapping out the entire chain and hooks before next summer. Who knows, I may pick up some hammerlocks by then too... what's interesting though is that there are so many different manufacturers when looking on Amazon, it's hard to know if they are really any better than the D Rings... But no way would the hooks that came on my trailer attach to either the rental 2020 F250 with 2.5" hitch, or my 2022 F250 with 3" hitch.

Edit to add: So, which hammerlocks is recommended for these hitches? Like I said, there are so many brands, and then ratings...
Those are the same hooks that I have on my trailer...........never had an issue hooking to the bumper of my 2022 SD..................come in from the back, laying the hook horizontal with the back of the bumper below the hole........rotate the tip of the hook thru the hole and out the other side.........EZ-PZ..........2.5" hitch.......

Old 10-20-2022, 10:00 PM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,478 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatland1
Those are the same hooks that I have on my trailer...........never had an issue hooking to the bumper of my 2022 SD..................come in from the back, laying the hook horizontal with the back of the bumper below the hole........rotate the tip of the hook thru the hole and out the other side.........EZ-PZ..........2.5" hitch.......
Sounds like they aren’t the same hooks as mine were then………….. cause mine didn’t fit…………….. neither in the 2020 with a 2.5” hitch…………… or on my 22 with a 3” hitch.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:41 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,075 Likes on 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Lux194

I went with Hammer Locks.

those look rugged...where did you get them?

Old 10-21-2022, 07:51 AM
number9xd
More Turbo
Received 436 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by acdii
I think the hitch has very good chain securement, and can guarantee these people appreciate it as well.

https://people.com/thmb/MDMZINa7DeFW...0d8767ed53.jpg
Looking at that pic, is that truck really hanging by the safety chains? How long were those chains? Or is some of the trailer tongue/ frame over the rail and not visible?

Old 10-21-2022, 07:55 AM
number9xd
More Turbo
Received 436 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatland1
I’ve got a Gatormade 6x12 trailer with same hooks and they won’t connect to my 2.5” hitch either. Tried every angle and they won’t hook. Maybe Ford gets the hitch from a couple suppliers and one is a tad different from the other??

Old 10-21-2022, 09:50 AM
ttavasc
Mountain Pass

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by number9xd
Looking at that pic, is that truck really hanging by the safety chains? How long were those chains? Or is some of the trailer tongue/ frame over the rail and not visible?
When that picture was taken it was after the rescue services had added additional chains to ensure they didn't lose the truck before getting everyone out. Here is a quote from one of the members of the rescue team that indicates the state of the truck/trailer when they arrived on scene:

"The trailer ball was pulled out of the hitch and the truck was dangling dangerously by only one remaining safety chain until emergency crews arrived and secured it with 3 heavy chains to a semi truck who happened to be right behind the accident. The bridge crosses a deep, narrow gorge (approximately 150 feet deep), which had the single remaining chain failed, the truck would have plummeted to the bottom."

Old 10-21-2022, 10:34 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,549 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Originally Posted by ttavasc
When that picture was taken it was after the rescue services had added additional chains to ensure they didn't lose the truck before getting everyone out. Here is a quote from one of the members of the rescue team that indicates the state of the truck/trailer when they arrived on scene:

"The trailer ball was pulled out of the hitch and the truck was dangling dangerously by only one remaining safety chain until emergency crews arrived and secured it with 3 heavy chains to a semi truck who happened to be right behind the accident. The bridge crosses a deep, narrow gorge (approximately 150 feet deep), which had the single remaining chain failed, the truck would have plummeted to the bottom."
If any link, clasp, or "carabiner" in that one remaining trailer safety chain had failed upon the shock load of the truck hurtling over the side of the bridge, then the truck wouldn't have remained dangling there until truckers and rescue crews could add more chains.

So it appears that the trailer chain and hook saved them, even if for only for a few seconds.

It can reasonably be assumed that it took longer than merely a few seconds for rescue crews to arrive.

It would take longer than 60 seconds for any fellow motorist or trucker following them to stop, get out of the truck, run to the side of the bridge, and assess the need for additional chains. Then they would have to go back to their truck to marshal some chains, which would take a few more minutes, plus the time it would take to figure out how to attach the chains to the dangling truck, and figure out what to anchor the chains to.

Without considering how fast the truck flew over the side of the bridge, and simply pretending that the truck was already fully "at rest" before that one trailer chain let go... within the first second, the truck would have free fallen 32 feet below the bridge, out of reach of any good Samaritans, and by the end of the third second, the truck, and it's occupants, would have been crushed at the bottom of the 150' ravine.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:39 PM
Keokie
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
If any link, clasp, or "carabiner" in that one remaining trailer safety chain had failed upon the shock load of the truck hurtling over the side of the bridge, then the truck wouldn't have remained dangling there until truckers and rescue crews could add more chains.

So it appears that the trailer chain and hook saved them, even if for only for a few seconds.

It can reasonably be assumed that it took longer than merely a few seconds for rescue crews to arrive.

It would take longer than 60 seconds for any fellow motorist or trucker following them to stop, get out of the truck, run to the side of the bridge, and assess the need for additional chains. Then they would have to go back to their truck to marshal some chains, which would take a few more minutes, plus the time it would take to figure out how to attach the chains to the dangling truck, and figure out what to anchor the chains to.

Without considering how fast the truck flew over the side of the bridge, and simply pretending that the truck was already fully "at rest" before that one trailer chain let go... within the first second, the truck would have free fallen 32 feet below the bridge, out of reach of any good Samaritans, and by the end of the third second, the truck, and it's occupants, would have been crushed at the bottom of the 150' ravine.

It is amazing. I wonder how many days the occupants remained pale as a ghost? I also would love to see a pic of precisely what chains and hooks were used.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:49 PM
TX Chris
Tuned
Received 194 Likes on 94 Posts
And at least two dorks that can't understand the very simple fact that people tow more than one trailer or tow friend's trailers or tow rentals and they don't want to buy and carry a whole inventory of hooks to replace on every single trailer they ever tow behind their truck.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:30 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,549 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Originally Posted by Keokie
It is amazing. I wonder how many days the occupants remained pale as a ghost? I also would love to see a pic of precisely what chains and hooks were used.
I would love to have seen a video of how fast the driver was driving and how much the trailer was swaying at that speed before he went over.

Many people pull trailers far too fast, as determined by their own admission, and by personal observation.

While the catastrophic consequences for speeding with a trailer are not frequent, they happen just as fast.

Old 10-21-2022, 03:39 PM
Keokie
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
I would love to have seen a video of how fast the driver was driving and how much the trailer was swaying at that speed before he went over.

Many people pull trailers far too fast, as determined by their own admission, and by personal observation.

While the catastrophic consequences for speeding with a trailer are not frequent, they happen just as fast.

Yep, I've seen tons of folks going down the highway too fast 'managing the sway'. I always make sure to stay well clear of them. I always wonder if they know how close to losing control they are, and just think they won't, or are oblivious to the situation. It's unfortunate that many people who don't tow, don't know how dangerous it is to be near them.

Quick Reply: Trailer safety/chain hook woes