Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2000 F350 SRW Tow Build Advice PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 11:30 AM
Skater2030
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm sure this exists somewhere already tho I can't seem to find one. I am working on a towing build on an 00 F350 7.3 from bone stock with 6speed . Regular day for this truck is either a lance cab over that's about 3000lbs fully loaded and a 6x10 enclosed trailer that's I'm guessing around 4k haven't weighed it yet or a 24ft steel decked goose neck that's about 6000 lbs. Most the trucks pulled so far stock was 16-17k. Pulling any kind of incline was so slow it was embarrassing. So here's what I've done so far please someone that knows more about all this help me out.

2000 7.3 F350 6 speed manual
Gearing stockTires are metric something around 34 I believe
Leveling kitRear air bagsSouth bend DD clutch (650hp,1300lbft)As for the motorInjectors stockS&B air intake with dry filter. ( In Nevada)
FLo-Pro 4in turbo back exhaust.
bellowed up pipes (brand unknown was on the truck when I bought it)
Intake heater delete
EBPV Delete pedestal and outletKC balanced turbo assembly.
PHP hydra tuner. (Not programmed yet) advice here would appreciated as well for tunes that will Generate power and fuel mileage. (NOT SMOKE)
boost and EGT gauges.

Been debating doing the oil crossover tube and a new EBP tube and sensor. Not sure what these will do.

What kind of power do you think this will make and any other ideas for a tow rig that will still retain it's longevity.

Any help or advice is much appreciated thanks in advance 👍👍

Old 08-05-2022, 12:29 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,146 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have a really solid setup already.
Bellowed uppipes (any brand), KC Balanced Assembly, and Hydra are the baseline of many builds.

I would poke around in the tech folder for preventive maintenance ideas. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-7-3l-psd.html

Some of these include
1- protecting power steering hose at shock tower
2- removing fuel line clamps (prevents hole from wear)
3- test for boost leaks and correct as needed
4- servicing the brakes, greasing sliders etc
5- can’t remember any more at the moment

I would skip the crossover line. Just a couple extra places for it to leak.

Might consider adding a fuel pressure gauge. It’s a boring gauge but cuts out a whole section of troubleshooting if an issue pops up.

Many folks will get an OBDII dongle and FORScan app for diagnostic purposes.

Your tires are a little on the large size. Bigger than stock (I’m on 32”) pushes down the rpm and can cause some issues. That is assuming you have the 3.73’s. Just something to keep in mind.

The Hydra. Everyone’s favorite mod.
Go to PHP’s website and download the free Hydraflash software. From there it’s pretty self explanatory. They even have videos showing how to install tunes.
Throw a bunch with your recommended code onto the chip and play around to see what you like best.
I usually run the 65 Fuel Sipper, 80 Daily, or a tow tune depending on the load.
The main difference in the “daily” vs “performance” of the same power level is shifting strategy (in my opinion) which you don’t care about with your zf6. Again, just load them up and play around to see what you prefer.

Smoke output has a lot to do with the rpm you’re at. If you’re getting too much smoke then try upping the rpm your keeping the truck at. Hitting the throttle at 1000rpm in a higher gear will cause smoke. Bigger tunes will exaggerate this.

Good luck.

@Y2KW57 can you merge his duplicate threads please?

Old 08-05-2022, 12:47 PM
Skater2030
3rd Gear
First off thanks for the quick reply!

So another thing I just found out was the possibility of a boost fooler? Again not trying to break the truck.

What kind of power do you think these upgrades would yield.
I'm hoping it's very noticeable. I know 6 and 7% grades are hell anyway but 10-15 mph in first gear is just unacceptable for me lol!

Old 08-05-2022, 01:13 PM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,614 Likes on 957 Posts
Sounds like a good setup. Get some of the base php tunes loaded on the hydra. Try a fuel sipper for when empty and maybe a 65hp performance and a 65hp tow tune.
Don’t get caught up on a number for hp.
As long as you are able to hold icp in the 65 tunes towing, you should have plenty of power. (Assuming not boost or drive pressure leaks)
If you can’t hold icp, and have no hpo leaks, then a better hpop may be in your future.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:58 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 584 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Skater2030
. I know 6 and 7% grades are hell anyway but 10-15 mph in first gear is just unacceptable for me lol!
What kind of weight are you trying to drag up the 6-7% grade?

Old 08-05-2022, 05:17 PM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
No need for the boost fooler with modern tunes.

Throw some tunes in there and watch your EGT's. You'll be very impressed. (not with your EGT's, with your new truck).

I would bet your Lance is heavier than 3k. I have a 'lightweight' pop up cabover and it's 2500# dry and empty.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:48 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,146 Posts
No need for a boost fooler with the PHP tunes. But you may want to remove and plug the red line to the wastegate. The PCM can use that little solenoid to blow the wastegate open early.

Eric, not sure if you caught that he’s running the zf6. Still need to try various tunes of the same HP rating? The fuel sipper should have a lighter throttle, I guess the others may vary throttle response as well.

I’d still load up all the tow tunes. That way they’re at your fingertips if you start seeing EGT issues while towing. I’m auto though so maybe no need for those specifically.

Trust us, you’ll notice a huge difference with the Hydra. Just got to keep an eye on the EGTs. Now hurry up and try that thing out!

Old 08-05-2022, 06:00 PM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,614 Likes on 957 Posts
Even with a zf6 the 65 fuel sipper, 65 tow, 65 performance will drive and tow differently. The icp and pw limits, and mapping and how throttle position and rpm affect those parameters will be different in each of the tunes. It (the differences) would be most noticeable under load ~ towing.

Remember though, more power, and using that power towing or driving sportily will not help mpg at all, unless you are going for a lower number.

With stock injectors and a balanced assembly and zf6 I see no need or reason to go with hotter tunes, you will just lose icp and have less power and more egts

I also see almost no reason to go with less then a 65 tune, unless you wanted to do just a 25 or 40 just in case you sprung a boost leak and needed to pull back in the middle of a huge grade heavy tow situation

Old 08-07-2022, 01:16 PM
Skater2030
3rd Gear
Y'all are great thanks for all the info I really didn't think people responded to these. Glad to see I'm wrong. We still working on putting the trans back in. I haven't even programmed the hydra yet. I've never had a 7.3 off of stock for any real amount of time. I'm just trying to get some better daily driving mileage to work and back as well as be able to pull what I need to. Once we get this thing all back together and running then we'll start screwing with the tunes.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:51 PM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
Dont expect the tuner to give you any magical MPG. Fixing anything broke is the best mileage is going to get.

The following 3 users liked this post by kbeefy: