1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

92 E350 5.8 Cranks won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 08:19 PM
Bustin Loose
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 E350 5.8 Cranks won't start

Hello my Ford lovelies, long time no post. I've still managed to keep my old van alive until now. Unfortunately, I'm on the streets of So. Cal until I finish cancer treatment and this is my daily driver so I need all the advice I can get.

Yesterday I tried to start it but all it did was crank over. It's cranking strong, just not starting. The tank has gas, battery had/has charge but I have no way to charge it now. This came suddenly. I've had no starting issues otherwise. Oh wait yes, the starter solenoid up on the radiator frame occasionally clicks but that's not relevant to this IIRC.

I'm not sure I'm using the code reader correctly. I'm plugging in both the big and small connections but when I push memory it changes from 000 to 00. I KNOW it should have at least 2 more codes because of the EGR codes the mechanic pulled in Feb. The check engine light still comes on but it's intermittent and I can't nail down anything consistent.

Since Feb after a 2 week stint in the hospital there is an idle issue where it will high idle on a cold start until the usual drop, but not drop as low as it should. Running the van out on the interstate resolves that issue and the only time it's happened is after the van has sat for at least 3 days.

The only other issue that I don't think is related is that the E4OD devil(heat) is occasionally affecting shifting when it gets about 95(air temp) or over. It gets a tad sluggish, as I do.

Other than that the only other thing that has me pinned to a wall is that my toolbox is 5.5 miles away in storage. I'm going to have to try and dinosaur this with a multi tool. Thanks for any advice.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:37 AM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
Received 1,066 Likes on 969 Posts
You need to check the fuel pressure and check for spark at the plugs
I think your pump may have failed or you might need a TFI module, coil, cap or stator
Some diagnosis is in order
Put something metal in a spark plug boot and crank it. Watch for spark
Access the fuel schrader valve and poke it with a stick. Gas should shoot you in the face if it has 30 lbs
Good luck with some preliminary diagnosis

Old 07-27-2022, 08:33 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 327 Likes on 297 Posts
Originally Posted by manicmechanic007
You need to check the fuel pressure and check for spark at the plugs
I think your pump may have failed or you might need a TFI module, coil, cap or stator
Some diagnosis is in order
Put something metal in a spark plug boot and crank it. Watch for spark
Access the fuel schrader valve and poke it with a stick. Gas should shoot you in the face if it has 30 lbs
Good luck with some preliminary diagnosis
Also check your TPS, it can cause idle problems such as high or low and also cause a no start, but as stated above, check for spark and gas first.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:46 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,408 Likes on 1,111 Posts
That's highly unsafe and possibly causing bodily injury and/or a fire---NOT ADVISABLE!!!

Check fuel pressure with a dedicated fuel pressure gauge kit that might be available at a local discount chain auto parts store---they're made to SAFELY do this task!

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-28-2022, 06:08 AM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
Received 1,066 Likes on 969 Posts
The guys tools are 5.5 miles away if you cared to read his post
And he probably does not own a pressure gauge
You are just chicken
You run and grab a pressure gauge when you are stranded?
Get real

Old 07-29-2022, 06:40 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
The guys tools are 5.5 miles away if you cared to read his post
And he probably does not own a pressure gauge
You are just chicken
You run and grab a pressure gauge when you are stranded?
Get real
Scared am I OR simply trying to NOT post irresponsible "advice" potentially leading to an injury---nothing so unattractive as a face or upper body burned by a fuel fire. I read the post, would still NEVER just left raw fuel spray as advised. If I'm stranded I have a scanner AND a AAA Gold Member account to get my vehicle off the highway or back to my tools.

My advise tends to err on the safer side of DIY repairs---YMMV as it seems.

@BustingLoose borrow a fuel pressure testing kit on your way from home to your storage lot---MUCH safer IMHO.

Please let us know how all this works out!

Old 07-29-2022, 09:43 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 327 Likes on 297 Posts
JWA, although your advice is sound and glad you gave, not everyone has the luxury to borrow tools or have AAA road service. Some people go from paycheck to paycheck, some people live out of their vehicles by necessity and not by luxury. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
That being said ..... Bustin Loose, I hope it's something simple to fix, please be careful with any work you do yourself. Let us know what your fix is.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:14 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Mike1
JWA, although your advice is sound and glad you gave, not everyone has the luxury to borrow tools or have AAA road service. Some people go from paycheck to paycheck, some people live out of their vehicles by necessity and not by luxury. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
That being said ..... Bustin Loose, I hope it's something simple to fix, please be careful with any work you do yourself. Let us know what your fix is.
I didn't sense the OP was indigent or living on such a tight budget--if that's the case would suffering any physical injury not further imperil the budget?

Sorry if it offends or insults some when I point out potential safety issues but not doing so would leave me feeling irresponsible towards those we try helping through this forum. I'll always point out advice I see as potential injurious to someone who's new to DIY. Having a friend whose a very experienced mechanic recently suffer somewhat severe burns on his hands, arms and face due one of those moments when safety was not his first concern I guess one might say I'm a bit concerned for others?

I'll also add if there's a will there's a way to accomplish most anything IF sufficient effort is put forth. I'd drive a mere 5.5 miles to do a job safely--seems like a smart, prudent move to me.