Fuel return lines and facet kit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 01:24 PM
JoeF250
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Fuel return lines and facet kit.

Hi,
I need to do the fuel return lines on my 89' idi this summer, they're original and have been leaking for years. Im wondering if there's a kit that stands out from the rest or better yet an FTE'r who sells them with quality parts. I'm aware of the r and d billet kit but it's a bit spendy for a truck that's averaged less than 700 miles a year since new.

I'm also looking to replace the mechanical lift pump with a facet. And was wondering if there's a kit that's got everything thing I need. I get 2-3 hours a week I could work on this thing and would like to avoid turning it into a 3 week project as I run out of time driving to and from the Irish parts counter. Second best would be if somebody could point me to a thread with a complete list of everything needed, so I don't need to exercise my lackluster planning skills. I've skimmed a few of them but my search skills aren't up to snuff and I haven't found what I need yet.

Thanks!
Joe

Old 06-10-2022, 09:39 AM
Scott in TX
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
I did mine a year ago and it has worked great, no more leaks or diesel smell coming through the vents, I bought the generic package that was referenced in previous posts I had read, I'm junior grade and it wasn't a difficult job but probably 3 hours for me because I have a turbo in the middle of it,

You may consider changing the glow plugs and wires at the same time since you'll be there right on top of it,

Old 06-10-2022, 10:14 AM
FGrinder
Cross-Country
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine is a daily driver... 3/8 SAE hose from any parts house; injector grade on feed, screw clamps, and facet 40222 if you want electric. My tanks, senders, selector are all new and I sourced and installed them; zero customized fitting except for the Facet, and don't wire Facet to GPC use the fuse block

Pegasus Racing is the best Facet vendor

I don't have to plug in at 20F and start within 5 rotations if that counts

Old 06-10-2022, 11:47 PM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
These are the type fuel line clamps you should use.
Amazon Amazon

You should use a Hobbs switch when using an electric fuel pump.
You wire the pump through this switch.
It screws into one of the oil galleries as a safety in case you get into an accident.
If the engine dies, the oil pressure drops which cuts off the juice to the pump so
it doesn`t keep pumping fuel.

Charlie

Old 06-11-2022, 12:01 PM
1986ed
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had great results with the Delphi kit. I replaced my lines because the plastic caps that go over the injectors were cracked and would seep fuel. The kit comes with lines, o rings, copper washers, hose clamps, and the plastic caps. Pretty much everything you and it's not too expensive. I put it in a few years ago and haven't had any issues.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...stallation+Kit

Personally I wouldn't replace the mechanical pump with an electrical one. The very mechanical nature of these old IDI motors is one of their strong suits. So I wouldn't introduce any electrical variables to the system if I were you. But if it's going to provide a lot more benefits to what you use your truck for then go for it.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:31 PM
JoeF250
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Charmalu
These are the type fuel line clamps you should use.
https://www.amazon.com/HPS-14mm-16mm.../dp/B07368R9YZ

You should use a Hobbs switch when using an electric fuel pump.
You wire the pump through this switch.
It screws into one of the oil galleries as a safety in case you get into an accident.
If the engine dies, the oil pressure drops which cuts off the juice to the pump so
it doesn`t keep pumping fuel.

Charlie
The Hobbs switch is a pretty good idea. Haven't seen that before. A little more effort up front, but probably worth it from a safety perspective.

Those clamps seem excessive though for a line with less than 12psi. I'll probably use them because they're nice, and I like nice. But if it wasn't for the vibration the connections will experience the hose on the barb would probably do it alone.

Originally Posted by 1986ed
I've had great results with the Delphi kit. I replaced my lines because the plastic caps that go over the injectors were cracked and would seep fuel. The kit comes with lines, o rings, copper washers, hose clamps, and the plastic caps. Pretty much everything you and it's not too expensive. I put it in a few years ago and haven't had any issues.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...stallation+Kit

Personally I wouldn't replace the mechanical pump with an electrical one. The very mechanical nature of these old IDI motors is one of their strong suits. So I wouldn't introduce any electrical variables to the system if I were you. But if it's going to provide a lot more benefits to what you use your truck for then go for it.
Thanks for the link. Unless I find an FTE'r or sponsor that's probably the route I'll go.

As far as the lift pump goes. I agree with the mechanical sentiment. But my biggest problem is that I don't drive the truck often. With 22k original miles I'm on my 4th lift pump, and I don't even know how many sets of batteries I've put through that thing. The mechanical pumps inability to prime without cranking puts so much strain on the starting system. I loved doing the fuel filter on my 7.3 super duty. Drain, replace, turn key to prime X3 and start. I dread changing this one. I almost added a racor prefilter with a hand pump a few years ago, but this just feels more elegant.

The following users liked this post: