1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cackle cure kit- return/feed line seals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cackle cure kit- return/feed line seals?

I bought my cackle kit a few weeks ago, finally started putting it on last night. All went well until I realized the kit didn't come with new seals for fuel bowl return/ pump feed lines. Does anyone know if these are dealer only parts ? Part number ? You would think anyone installing this kit, thier truck would be atleast 4 years old or older and would need new seals anyway. They should have been included in kit. Thanks Vegistroke !!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Ehammond
Freshman User
When I did mine, I don't remember needing any seals on the fuel bowl. Can't recall where they might have gone

Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Shoulda contacted Jason before posting this.
I've met him personally and he's a straight up guy.
He might have simply forgotten to put them in the kit.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:56 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Basically I was supposed to remove fuel lines from bowl so I could cut return line. These seals are too worn to reuse.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:09 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I have to agree with Dan (Kwik) on this. Jason would be the place to start, not here (and that is assuming that you haven't tried yet to contact him, to which point I will re-tract this statement if you've already made that effort and had no success - honest mistakes do occur).

When I got my kit, which was the first one sold and installed here in FTE, the TEE fitting that gets tied into the return line had the seals inside of them. My original seal on the line where it connects to the filter housing did not need replacing, as it was in good condition. I managed to lose one of the new seals that Jason had included with the TEE fitting, and had to track down one at an International truck dealer - MY screwup on that issue.

The way I see it, Jason provided me with everything I needed to make the new connections, and it worked well once I got past my own mistake. Expecting him to provide new seals for the other connection on the fuel filter housing is a little too far beyond the call of duty in my book. Besides, out of everyone else I've seen and talked to about their CCK install, no one else has needed new seals anywhere.

One more thing to keep in mind is that the return line is a very low pressure line (4-6 psi IIRC). In fact, the new seal that I got from my International dealer was too large for me to use "as is". So... to make it work, I slipped it over a brass rod that actually stretched it a wee bit to keep it tight, and used a brand new razor blade to cut the sleeve into a spiral (sort of like a spring). Then I took this "spiral" and wrapped it around the tubing and pushed it into the connector fitting. It sealed up perfectly due to the compression inside the fitting. To this day, some 5,000 miles later, no leaks at all.

Point is this... I expect that if you reuse the seal you have, you should be OK. For insurance, get a small viton o-ring and place it in between the seal and the compression nut and reinstall. It should be good to go at that point.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:20 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Its real nice that your good buddies with Jason, but since he knows these two lines to the fuel bowl must be removed, concideration shloud be made to replace them. When it comes to a fuel line, I'm not just going to "monkey" something in there. You can do what ever you please to your truck but I won't rig mine like that. I will use the "correct part to cure the deficienties in the kit". Not all the seals are going to stay intact upon removal. If you don't have a source for new parts, thanks for your time.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:50 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rugermack
Its real nice that your good buddies with Jason, but since he knows these two lines to the fuel bowl must be removed, concideration shloud be made to replace them. When it comes to a fuel line, I'm not just going to "monkey" something in there. You can do what ever you please to your truck but I won't rig mine like that. I will use the "correct part to cure the deficienties in the kit". Not all the seals are going to stay intact upon removal. If you don't have a source for new parts, thanks for your time.
woow,
that sounds angry.........
id say Pete is a great guy and he would not tell you to rig it up if it would not be safe for himself, and we all have to chill, we can always ask for advice, not flame somone for giving you advice,
and Pete have don plenty for this forum, to deserve respect,
just my 0.02

EDIT:
and just to give you an exemple, i got H2E turbo kit, and paid well over what you paid for CCK and i had to buy now UP pipe seals, 20$ VS 2200$ for the kit?
get the piont? like Pete said noone can plan everything for everyone,

Last edited by PETE'S_6.0PSD; 09-12-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rugermack
You're being rude to two guy with a total around 14,000 posts and photos and write-ups on mods and maint. on this forum. While you're at it why don't you ask Guzzle for some help and then insult him.

That said, I'm sure both will brush it off and help you anyway. Cause that's just how they've always been.

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Ehammond
Freshman User
Now I remember what you're talking about. Mine were perfectly good to reuse, which I did with no leaks.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:13 PM
F250_
Hotshot
First off, rugermack, I can understand being upset and maybe even angry, and I'm sorry that it's been that way for you - truly.

I need to clarify something, though, and that is the fact that Jason and I are not buddies. I know that the way I agreed with Dan could be interpreted that way, but I was simply agreeing with Dan's assessment of Jason's character and that Jason should have been your first contact point. That's all.

Now, I have a technical question about why you have twice mentioned that there are "two lines that need to be removed from the fuel bowl". The only line that needs to be disconnected from the fuel bowl is the return line, and I believe that that is the way the instructions are written up (if Jason took my feedback the way I thought he had). On this point, I can see how you may have chosen to rmeove both the feed and return lines in effort to get better access for splicing into the return line, but it wasn't necessary for me or for others I know who have installed this kit - at least not to my knowledge.

Regardless, I did offer a source for the seals, which is a local International truck dealer. My dealer only had the larger seals available because they had actually closed down for the weekend and could not get into the stock supplies to make a sale... the parts manager simply went through his desk and gave me what he happened to find at no charge. I was stuck at that point and simply HAD to make it work because my fuel line was already cut and I had to have the truck the next day.

Like I said, if you install a good viton o-ring behind the "damaged" seal, you will find that the compression nut will tighten everything perfectly well for this low pressure application. Call it "rigging" if you want, because that is what it is, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the effort is either "ineffective" or "low quality" or "not long lasting". Unless you have paid other people to do all the mods in your signature for you (or they came with the truck when you bought it), I would expect that you already know the truth of what I'm saying just out of your own experience. You sometimes have to adapt to an unexpected uh-oh and make do.

Just to close this on a positive note... either go to your local Ford dealer for the "correct" parts or a local aftermarket parts store for some viton o-rings. Shoot, you can even use multiple o-rings together and let the compression fitting do its job if you can't salvage anything at all from the original seals.

EDIT: I will also stick by my opinion that the kit is not deficient in any manner, but will also freely admit that it is not designed to address a rare situation like what you've described.

Last edited by F250_; 09-12-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:18 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Rugermack, the part number you are looking for can be found at the INT dealer, it is a compete reseal kit with 6 compression sleeves. the part # is (1p) 1831296c92 . Ford Dealers also sell the same kit(repacked from INT) but I do not have that part number.

I also will chime in for Vegistroke. If you have a problem with any of his products please call him first, he will bend over backwards to help you and resolve any issues that you might have and he is very accessable.

And actually my truck was seven years old and had 240,000 miles on it when I installed this kit and I did not need to change my seals either.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:57 PM
vegistroke james
Former Vendor
Well, this is why I tend to stay off forums altogether. I'm way too quick tempered for it, which is why I let Jason do all of the forum discussions. I guess the fastest way to defuse this whole unnecessary ordeal is to take the fist step and pick up a device of communication and try to get hold of us and ask for these seals that you need, at which point myself or Jason would be more than happy to send them to you for absolutely free if you would like. But the first step now is yours. How can we possibly know that you need something if you don't call us? What do you think Jason?? Feel free to chime in at any time Jason, and when you do, get off your butt and do something!! Sometimes I don't even know why I pay you or keep you around for that matter!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
F250_
Hotshot
James, I do believe I detect a loving sense of sarcasm there in regards to "keeping Jason around", right?

Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
vegistroke james
Former Vendor
LOL...Today that’s the case! But feel free to ask me again tomorrow. Jason and I have been best friends since we were about 10 years old, and I can tell you that out of all the stuff that we have been through together there won't be much that could ever change that. Although if you’re looking for a good laugh hit me up someday and I’ll make you bust a gut. The crap I have seen him do still makes me cry in laughter!! Also an added side note: I never caused any of his self induced humiliation. <O</O

Last edited by vegistroke james; 09-12-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW, I happened to mention here on FTE that I had the same thing happen. They are a common failure, from what I understand. I actually was looking for someone that knew what size and where to get the seals (O-rings, whatever you call them). Jason chimed in and offered to send me some free of charge. I asked him to send me all four for the filter bowl connections and let me know the cost. That tells me Jason is a stand up guy, 110%!! Those seals had nothing to do with his product yet he was willing to send me what I needed for nothing!

I actually rigged the leaky one with piece of fuel hose I had laying around and managed to fix it temporarily, BTW. I used a trick similar to Pete -- I trimmed the outside part of the hose off (down to the threads in the fuel line) to allow it to fit in the housing. It worked perfectly (to my surprise!!), but I will fix it "correctly" eventually. I just wanted to keep the fuel off the engine valley and pavement! Here's what my seal looked like (I know, bad pic, but I was in a hurry):

Joe

Quick Reply: Cackle cure kit- return/feed line seals?