Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Broken Studs

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:23 PM
jcrice
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broken Studs

Ok, so I finally parked my 2001 SuperDuty V10 for a partial rebuild/restoration -Sick, I know, but I'm just ****. The first thing I did after removing the interior was to remove the exhaust manifolds to install my new headers. As I expected, I broke off two studs about 1/4 inches into the head. I can't seem to get these buggers drilled out for an easy out, and at first I wasn't too concerned because I just figured I'd remove the heads (I was thinking I'd get the heads and intake ported and polished until I got the $1,250 quote). Has anyone here successfully removed broken studs?

If you're planning to install headers, be forewarned. The studs broke off incredibly easily!

Also, has anyone installed aftermarket cams on their V10? I'm surprised that I can't find anything out there.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:36 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Broken Studs

Originally posted by jcrice
Ok, so I finally parked my 2001 SuperDuty V10 for a partial rebuild/restoration -Sick, I know, but I'm just ****. The first thing I did after removing the interior was to remove the exhaust manifolds to install my new headers. As I expected, I broke off two studs about 1/4 inches into the head. I can't seem to get these buggers drilled out for an easy out, and at first I wasn't too concerned because I just figured I'd remove the heads (I was thinking I'd get the heads and intake ported and polished until I got the $1,250 quote). Has anyone here successfully removed broken studs?

If you're planning to install headers, be forewarned. The studs broke off incredibly easily!

Also, has anyone installed aftermarket cams on their V10? I'm surprised that I can't find anything out there.
From everyone I've asked just in passing, like at the Edelbrock trailer at the LeMans races, etc, there's not one cam manufacturer that has any plans to produce anything for the 6.8 V-10. But it's very possible you could have you stock cams reground. I know that was possible when the height of the cam lobe was limited by the cam bearing (in OHV engines) the cam grinders just took a little off the back and viola, more cam lift on the front ! But in this type of engine I'm not sure how or if that would work. I'd think some of the 4.6 hot rod guys would have a plethora of knowledge about how all that works though. There was a guy in Colorado building a V-10 to put into a Crown Vic, but his friend got sick and he had to sell it. He did find some high performance folks so they are out there, maybe Extrude hone too ? Good luck !! Please keep us 'posted' (pun intended) with your results, sounds exciting !

Old 11-05-2003, 01:11 PM
jcrice
Senior User
I called Crane and Comp Cams this morning. Crane wasn't very helpful, but the guy at Comp (Steve, I think - I've got my notes in my other office right now) was very helpful and had some ideas. As I expected, they don't have blanks, but he said they could do a custom grind for about $250. If I will need it hardened, it'll be another $250. The 5.4 and 4.6 both have to be done this way, and I've got some homework to do to verify that they are the same on the 6.8. I expect they are, but I have to be sure. If all goes well, I'll send them the cams, and two months later they'll send them back. He said they'd compare the 6.8 profile to the 5.4; if they're the same, they'll probably use a similar profile as the ones they're doing for those engines.

I called another machine shop concerning the heads and intake, but they wouldn't give me a price quote until I selected a cam. If it's not too outrageous, I'll get that done too.

I haven't found anyone locally who will put exhaust on it, and I'm thinking of doing it myself. I have an oxy/ace rig, and hate to weld it that way, but it may be my only option.

Once I get the truck running again, I'll get it off the jackstands and pull it out for some "before" pics. No bed, no front, no interior. I'll take some pics of the engine work too. I'm interested to see what the cylinder walls look like on a 72,000 mile engine that has always used synthetic oil.

Old 11-05-2003, 04:51 PM
jcrice
Senior User
I had the guy's name wrong. Steve was at Crane Cams, and still hasn't returned my call. Comp Cam's guy was Chris Seleski - don't know if I can post his number, but I have it if anyone wants it.

Cross referenced the rockers to the 5.4, and they're the same, so it looks like I'll be able to go ahead and do it. I tried to find some cam specs online to compare with the 5.4, but haven't found anything I could believe (yet).