Modular V10 (6.8l)  

New Member Here, Installing Ebay Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:47 AM
nooq
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member Here, Installing Ebay Headers...

Hello, first timer here. I have been scavenging through the site and i must say there is some great info about these trucks and the v10. i appreciate everyones posts, as i have found it very useful.

Anyways, just wanted to let everyone know i am currently in the midst of doing the ebay header install on my 6.8l v10 2v. Please check out my albums for info on my truck. i got it lifted up with 22's etc.. etc... etc...

I must say that removing these broken studs is definitely something you have to put some elbow grease into. so far i had 3 broken studs on the driver side...one of them the studs was sticking out enough to remove it with the double nut method (of course after soaking it with pb blaster). the other 2 broken off below the surface of the head i used a close quarters drill with cobalt bits and stuck a easy out in them and they backed right out.

on the passenger side i have 3 broken below the surface of the head, got 1 extracted with the easy out. on the second one i tried, i broke the tip of my easy out inside the stud....i dont think i drilled a deep enough hole. i am still working on that currently...my dad has a tool he is bringing home that will go onto a small die grinder that will cut through metal...hoping that it will chew that easy out up. or we will possibly try drilling a small hole on the side of the easy out and try and go in a angle in effort to get behind the easy out and knock it out & extract the stud. on the 3rd one i got a little sideways with the drill bit and chewed up the threads in the head. This will more than likely be repaired with a helicoil. also bought all new hardware, and new gibson gaskets to use on these ebay headers...the hardware and gaskets they give you just look cheasy and the bolts are not nearly long enough for the aluminum heads. went with a M8 x 1.25 35MM.

On another note, my truck is EGR. my attack at that was i sawzalled off the fitting on the original manifolds. I bought a weldable spacer which will make up for the lost threads i had to cut. I will be welding those two together and then welding onto the headers and drilling the hole for it in the headers.

One questions i hope will go my way in this install...i have the factory "rams horn" y-pipe that i will be replacing at a later time, but...will i have any problems with the exhaust system mounting back up with the headers in place? i have removed the cat and replaced it with a MBRP 26" resonator. everything fit perfectly before the headers, just wondering now if it will still bolt right up. any info would be greatly appreciated.

sorry for the long post...i am glad to be a part of your forums.

-Ryan

Old 06-23-2011, 07:42 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
The stock y-pipe SHOULD fit those headers. On my truck, I had to bend the Y slightly to make it match up to the headers.

Whatever you do, do NOT "make it fit" by just bolting the Y to the headers and putting stress on the headers. That WILL crack the headers pretty quick.

Good luck with it and report back when you get it done

Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello, do you mind posting what headers you bought off ebay. Also what your first thoughts on these headers besides the gaskets and hardware. I just noticed I have one broken exhaust stud, so it is time to think about repairing it. How hard has it been getting into this repair?

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:48 PM
nooq
New User
Originally Posted by Krewat
The stock y-pipe SHOULD fit those headers. On my truck, I had to bend the Y slightly to make it match up to the headers.

Whatever you do, do NOT "make it fit" by just bolting the Y to the headers and putting stress on the headers. That WILL crack the headers pretty quick.

Good luck with it and report back when you get it done

thanks man. i will def check the fitment on it before i bolt everything back up.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:01 PM
nooq
New User
Originally Posted by IslandBlueV10
Hello, do you mind posting what headers you bought off ebay. Also what your first thoughts on these headers besides the gaskets and hardware. I just noticed I have one broken exhaust stud, so it is time to think about repairing it. How hard has it been getting into this repair?

Thanks.
i purchased the ones from DNAMOTORING. when i first opened the box, i was actually suprised...they look exactly like the JBA shorty headers. i am expecting these to hold up for some time, and i am very suprised that these other companies are charging so much for their headers when you can get a quality pair from ebay. sure you have to make a couple mods, but when dont you when you do something custom to your car. gaskets arent terrible...i may give them a whirl and if they start leaking replace them with the gibson gaskets i purchased. as far as replacing the studs...it all depends on where exaclty it is located. a close quarter drill is a must, maybe even a small die grinder with a bit in it. make sure you soak it with penetrating oil for days, get a hole in the center of the stud and use a quality easy out to extract it. for ones broke off with some sticking out, i used the double nut method, which worked great on the 2 i have broken off. let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks alot.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
There are many of us here that have done this job (multiple times). If you start searching around, you'll find our threads with helpful tips and pictures.
Good Luck!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by nooq
i purchased the ones from DNAMOTORING. when i first opened the box, i was actually suprised...they look exactly like the JBA shorty headers. i am expecting these to hold up for some time, and i am very suprised that these other companies are charging so much for their headers when you can get a quality pair from ebay. sure you have to make a couple mods, but when dont you when you do something custom to your car. gaskets arent terrible...i may give them a whirl and if they start leaking replace them with the gibson gaskets i purchased. as far as replacing the studs...it all depends on where exaclty it is located. a close quarter drill is a must, maybe even a small die grinder with a bit in it. make sure you soak it with penetrating oil for days, get a hole in the center of the stud and use a quality easy out to extract it. for ones broke off with some sticking out, i used the double nut method, which worked great on the 2 i have broken off. let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks alot.
Are you happy with them...well, so far?

I just had a few email exhanges with DNA via Ebay. They seem helpful but claim the set I was looking at hasn't been test-fit on a 4x4.

I see no difference between 2x4 and 4x4 at least where the clearance issue are for shorty headers on these 5.4's.

For only 200 bucks, I was expecting junk but they claim they manufacture those headers. I was considering getting them and having them ceramic-coated locally.

I'm due now and was convinced I'd go with Gibson or JBA but I see guys on here that have had issues with those brands as well.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 AM
nooq
New User
Originally Posted by RUNVS
Are you happy with them...well, so far?

I just had a few email exhanges with DNA via Ebay. They seem helpful but claim the set I was looking at hasn't been test-fit on a 4x4.

I see no difference between 2x4 and 4x4 at least where the clearance issue are for shorty headers on these 5.4's.

For only 200 bucks, I was expecting junk but they claim they manufacture those headers. I was considering getting them and having them ceramic-coated locally.

I'm due now and was convinced I'd go with Gibson or JBA but I see guys on here that have had issues with those brands as well.

my truck is a F350 4X4 and we had clearance issues. we actually had more than just "notching" the frame a little...We had to jack up the motor as far as it would let us without ripping stuff out. This allowed us to get the passenger side header on. Without jacking up the motor, the header was hitting the engine cross bars. I can imagine the frame is more heavy duty on a F350 compared to a F250 as well, that may have added to the trouble of the passenger side header fitment. All in all, it wasnt a simple install. Took 16 Hours + on my truck.