1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Small details to fix on the truck before going to Truckstock....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 11:30 PM
8pack
More Turbo
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Engine is installed, and all connected and wired up. Did a couple of short test starts and found a coolant leak. No oil leaks yet though!
Today was a good progress day. Tomorrow will be a short road test after making some adjustments to the carb linkage and refilling the radiator.
Still have a lot of smaller details to attend to. But so far so good.
Tom
Sounds like the home made oil pan gasket worked. Bravo!

Old 09-26-2021, 08:05 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 638 Likes on 338 Posts
Good news and some bad news guys....

Today I did road trials in the truck and learned a few things that will affect my ability to drive this truck from Maine to central Pennsylvania.
First the good:
After 15 miles of various accelerating, braking and coasting - and about 90 minutes engine run time including parked idling - the truck doesn't leak a drop of oil anywhere. Every gasket and seal is bone dry. I know time will tell if the new rear main seal will hold up, but it is doing it's job for now.

Now the not-so-good:
During the engine warm up period I heard a growling noise coming from either the 12-volt generator or the water pump. I put a listening stick on each and it is the water pump bearing. I confirmed it by squirting water on the gen and pump individually and the noise goes away for about 8 seconds when the pump shaft gets wet. The noise returns every time. I removed all the tension on the belt so that the pulley has almost no side-load and it still makes noise. The pump has never been rebuilt. I have a spare but it has not been rebuilt either, it came off a donor engine and I have not heard it spin. Just an emergency back-up and/or rebuilding core.
The next setback was the rear brakes. I have a '71 F250 Dana 60 rear in the truck, and I fabricated the parking brake assemblies so that I could use the stock firewall brake handle & cable set-up from the old Timken axle. It has been 4 years since I took apart the rear brakes to look inside.(requires draining the axle gear oil and pulling the axles to get the drums off) When I replaced the rear seals the other day I noticed the parking brake lever and cable tensioner for the star adjusters were out-of-whack so I 'fixed' the situation by changing the spring tension on both sides. The only way to test to see how it went was the fully assemble the rear axles and hub/drums. I thought i had the brakes adjusted good enough until I went on today's road trial. I have almost no rear brakes. Since I live on a dirt road i was able to see if they would lock up, and they won't. On the paved road I only had about 60% of my 'normal' brakes and the front discs were doing all the work.
To fix this I have to tear apart both axle and brake sides and start all over fabricating those parking brake cable and lever rigs. I don't have time to do that before Truckstock. And it isn't safe to go 1,000 miles without the brakes in top notch form.

Between the water pump and the brakes - and all the small electrical things that I still haven't gotten to on the truck (fuel gauge, windshield wiper linkage and horn) this truck is not ready for the big road trip. I gave it a hell of a try though. Really wanted to race against Ed's F3 up the Hyner View mountain again.
I will still be going to the party though. My daily driver will make the journey - and I'm looking forward to riding shotgun with as many of you guys that are going as I can. I have talked to Abe on the phone to let him know about my Plan B arrival.

Here's a pic taken today of the road trials - the engine was just re-installed yesterday. I left the hood off in case I needed to make adjustments. Stopped at a buddy's house (he is a Ford guy too that knows Flatheads well) so that he can listen to the pump noise. He agreed with my conclusion on the pump bearing.
Tom

Old 09-26-2021, 09:02 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts
Tough to accept - but sounds like the right call, especially with half the brakes. Now you have an unencumbered opportunity to be a bad influence on all other attendees.

Bravo for the attempt.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-26-2021, 11:55 PM
8pack
More Turbo
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts
Good effort! Sorry to hear it didn’t come together. It is rare that a thrash goes flawlessly especially when working mostly alone.

Don’t know the rear brake setup as I am new to these trucks, but do you need the ebrake? Can you disconnect the cables and just get the drums working properly for the drive. I am sure you thought of it but I figured one last straw to grasp maybe!

Old 09-27-2021, 05:30 AM
Donco1
You got it!
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Good news and some bad news guys....

Today I did road trials in the truck and learned a few things that will affect my ability to drive this truck from Maine to central Pennsylvania.
First the good:
After 15 miles of various accelerating, braking and coasting - and about 90 minutes engine run time including parked idling - the truck doesn't leak a drop of oil anywhere. Every gasket and seal is bone dry. I know time will tell if the new rear main seal will hold up, but it is doing it's job for now.

Now the not-so-good:
During the engine warm up period I heard a growling noise coming from either the 12-volt generator or the water pump. I put a listening stick on each and it is the water pump bearing. I confirmed it by squirting water on the gen and pump individually and the noise goes away for about 8 seconds when the pump shaft gets wet. The noise returns every time. I removed all the tension on the belt so that the pulley has almost no side-load and it still makes noise. The pump has never been rebuilt. I have a spare but it has not been rebuilt either, it came off a donor engine and I have not heard it spin. Just an emergency back-up and/or rebuilding core.
The next setback was the rear brakes. I have a '71 F250 Dana 60 rear in the truck, and I fabricated the parking brake assemblies so that I could use the stock firewall brake handle & cable set-up from the old Timken axle. It has been 4 years since I took apart the rear brakes to look inside.(requires draining the axle gear oil and pulling the axles to get the drums off) When I replaced the rear seals the other day I noticed the parking brake lever and cable tensioner for the star adjusters were out-of-whack so I 'fixed' the situation by changing the spring tension on both sides. The only way to test to see how it went was the fully assemble the rear axles and hub/drums. I thought i had the brakes adjusted good enough until I went on today's road trial. I have almost no rear brakes. Since I live on a dirt road i was able to see if they would lock up, and they won't. On the paved road I only had about 60% of my 'normal' brakes and the front discs were doing all the work.
To fix this I have to tear apart both axle and brake sides and start all over fabricating those parking brake cable and lever rigs. I don't have time to do that before Truckstock. And it isn't safe to go 1,000 miles without the brakes in top notch form.

Between the water pump and the brakes - and all the small electrical things that I still haven't gotten to on the truck (fuel gauge, windshield wiper linkage and horn) this truck is not ready for the big road trip. I gave it a hell of a try though. Really wanted to race against Ed's F3 up the Hyner View mountain again.
I will still be going to the party though. My daily driver will make the journey - and I'm looking forward to riding shotgun with as many of you guys that are going as I can. I have talked to Abe on the phone to let him know about my Plan B arrival.

Here's a pic taken today of the road trials - the engine was just re-installed yesterday. I left the hood off in case I needed to make adjustments. Stopped at a buddy's house (he is a Ford guy too that knows Flatheads well) so that he can listen to the pump noise. He agreed with my conclusion on the pump bearing.
Tom

I've got an open seat in the cabover. Its loud inside but a different kinda ride. Fun to ride/drive

Old 09-27-2021, 06:09 AM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by 8pack

Don’t know the rear brake setup as I am new to these trucks, but do you need the ebrake?
Although I don't need an e-brake in most situations, I find I use it often enough to want it. the Truckstock trip includes a drive up Hyner View Mountain and extra brakes will be required if we have to stop on the way up. I don't trust the 6.5:1 compression ratio on my engine to hold back the truck in 1st or reverse gear when parked. But it isn't all about parking.
The problem is that my rear shoes aren't expanding enough to fully make firm contact with the drum - thanks to the way I reconfigured it last week. I didn't know until it was all back together and tested on the road at various speeds. A Dana 60 rear end is no picnic for simple adjustments and inspections.
Tom

Old 09-27-2021, 06:11 AM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by Donco1
I've got an open seat in the cabover. Its loud inside but a different kinda ride. Fun to ride/drive
I have never ridden in a cabover. You've got a passenger! Will try to do as many ride-alongs with you guys as I can.
Tom

Old 09-27-2021, 06:32 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 792 Likes on 389 Posts
You gave it a great effort. It sounds like you are making a good decision.
The one benefit to not taking your truck is that you get to pick and choose what truck you want to ride in. I'm sure everyone would love a passenger. I sure did for the one leg that I had a passenger last year.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:58 AM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 557 Likes on 268 Posts
I know how disappointed you must feel. 2 years ago my input shaft bearing on the transmission broke 1 week before Truckstock. Had to come in the suburban.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:37 AM
Bob Ingram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 680 Likes on 324 Posts
That’s too bad Tom. You put in a ton of effort, but brakes are kinda important. FWIW I never leave my truck in gear, I’m afraid I’ll hit the starter by accident, did it once and almost drove through my shed.

You’re welcome to ride with this newbie, looking forward to meeting everyone!

Old 09-27-2021, 10:41 AM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by Bob Ingram
..... FWIW I never leave my truck in gear, I’m afraid I’ll hit the starter by accident, did it once and almost drove through my shed......

Hey! Save those stories for around the campfire.

Looking forward to meeting you too.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:27 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 930 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ingram
FWIW I never leave my truck in gear, I’m afraid I’ll hit the starter by accident, did it once and almost drove through my shed.
One of the advantages of using power instead of ground to activate the starter relay is you can run it off the key. With the key off the starter button is dead. Something to consider on the older trucks. It wouldn't be hard to change.