1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want opinions for best oil sludge additive

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 09:07 PM
llh
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want opinions for best oil sludge additive

want opinion ........... which is best oil additive. sludge was accumulating in motor then repairs after wreck had it sittin gi in garage. this allowed sludge to dry and cake off causing clog in oil flow. motor still sounds good and i would like to save it but have never used any of these products. i dont want to ruin the motor but need to clean it out.. could i hear from some people who have used them and which are the best as far as safety and they actually work?
thanks
2006 f250 10 cyl 75000 miles

Old 08-10-2021, 08:24 AM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
75k miles shouldn't have that kind of sludge. Sludge won't cake and break off unless it has been setting for years. What makes you think it has? If you want to flush the oil system there are additives that can help with this. I normally put a gallon of diesel fuel in the engine and run it for about 15 minutes to clean it out. FWIW, unless you let this engine set for years without any oil in the system I doubt what you are describing has happened.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:17 AM
CP Dubbs
Senior User
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Fefanatic
75k miles shouldn't have that kind of sludge. Sludge won't cake and break off unless it has been setting for years. What makes you think it has? If you want to flush the oil system there are additives that can help with this. I normally put a gallon of diesel fuel in the engine and run it for about 15 minutes to clean it out. FWIW, unless you let this engine set for years without any oil in the system I doubt what you are describing has happened.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I doubt you have sludge as well. That comes from a real neglect in maintenance where oil breaks down. You would have had to ignore maintenance and oil changes for a very long time to generate sludge.
If you insist on doing something, ( and many will disagree) Marvel Mystery Oil will break down some sludge. There are other products, most are based on pale oil, so understand you are paying 6 or 7 dollars for 16 ounces of a light oil. Seafoam is one. You could try BG EPR. Diesel oils are purported to clean sludge up, but their claim to fame is keeping sludge causing molecules in suspension so they don't aggregate, not necessarily the other way around. Pennzoil ULTRA openly advertises they can clean sludge. I doubt it, but it is a unique oil built from the ground up from natural gas, so it may have some cleaning ability.
If the engine sounds good, and has no oil pressure problems, I doubt you have sludge.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:38 AM
llh
Junior User

it is more like cooked oil. truckwas being driven with very low oil. you can see on timing chain actuators pulled out of head.that is is caked on or baked on. truck was in wreck and sat in garage a long time and afterward oil pressure keeps dropping out. this is what i beleive is the problem. if it was oil pump it would act differently. When you try to drive it the oil pressure is good and suddenly drops to no oil pressure.. if you shut off a minute or two and restart itis fine for another few minutes and then same happens. I think the oil cannot return fast enough to the pan to be repumped. Also i misquoted which truck i was talking about.
this truck is 2006 f 150 5.4 150,000 miles. and yes oil changes were missed .

Old 08-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,650 Likes on 1,649 Posts
If it were me, and really wanted to clean this up properly, I would do it the easy way……..pull engine, use it for a core, install rebuilt and let the engine builder clean it up. Sounds to me like that is what will need to be done in the end anyway.
Good luck.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:00 PM
llh
Junior User
thanks for the replies

Of course I realize the proper thing to do is buy a new motor. I have talked to a couple shops and they could do a Ford motor for $6000 to 7,000. We cannot afford this and hope to save the truck for a few more years. and is a 2006 worth that much anyway.
I was just hoping .to get info on something I can do myself.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:10 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 520 Likes on 399 Posts
Well there is only one known working product for this that has worked for over a decade. It's AutoRx, follow the instructions and it will work.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:26 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,650 Likes on 1,649 Posts
Originally Posted by llh
Of course I realize the proper thing to do is buy a new motor. I have talked to a couple shops and they could do a Ford motor for $6000 to 7,000. We cannot afford this and hope to save the truck for a few more years. and is a 2006 worth that much anyway.
I was just hoping .to get info on something I can do myself.
Well, sir, from your previous statement about the oil pressure problem, it sounds like you might have some internal problems anyway. You will probably needneed to go into the engine to remedy that. At least drop the pan a have a visual of the internals and what is going on.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:17 AM
DannySD
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a 94 or something dodge van from a college campus fleet.. it has like 30 or 60k on it.. same thing is happening with it.. when i onlne researched the issue it was recommended and said to just drop the oil
pan and clean it out was the usual fix.. but I guess you've done that already... i'm wondering if switching to a thinner oil and doing it more than once might help.. if the problem continues after I clean out the oil pan..
i'm kind of wondering if the oil pump is weak.. but hopefully it's just already clumped oil sitting in the pan clogging at the pickup i guess.. i'm hesitant to put the aftermarket stuff in there.. but i guess i might try that autorx if everythign else fails.. Good luck on your similar problem.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:37 AM
rvpuller
Received 439 Likes on 288 Posts
Originally Posted by llh
it is more like cooked oil. truckwas being driven with very low oil. you can see on timing chain actuators pulled out of head.that is is caked on or baked on. truck was in wreck and sat in garage a long time and afterward oil pressure keeps dropping out. this is what i beleive is the problem. if it was oil pump it would act differently. When you try to drive it the oil pressure is good and suddenly drops to no oil pressure.. if you shut off a minute or two and restart itis fine for another few minutes and then same happens. I think the oil cannot return fast enough to the pan to be repumped. Also i misquoted which truck i was talking about.
this truck is 2006 f 150 5.4 150,000 miles. and yes oil changes were missed .
The first thing a would try is too replace the oil pressure sensor. The next would be to drop the pan and clean it out. If a Triton motor looses oil presure you would know it because the overhead valve train would be making noise. If it was holding that much oil up in the heads(the only place it could collect in quantity) you would be able to remove the oil filler cap and see it plus I'm sure the pcv valve and hose would be full of it.

Denny

Old 08-11-2021, 07:55 AM
rvpuller
Received 439 Likes on 288 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to use a bore scope to look into the pan through the drain hole to see if the oil pickup is blocked or if the pan is full of slug?

Denny

Old 08-11-2021, 09:13 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
Has anyone ever tried to use a bore scope to look into the pan through the drain hole to see if the oil pickup is blocked or if the pan is full of slug?

Denny
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS! Sounds like you have a oil pickup problem.