2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Market Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 09:57 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
The Ford dealer across the street from my business has a used 20’ Platinum diesel with 6k on the clock advertised for $83,900. LOL.
I think the clock has struck midnight and prices are going to start to drop…fast.

IMO, unless there is an immediate, immediate need, anyone who isn’t waiting this thing out is is nuts.

Originally Posted by Joe T
A good CPA told me once you will spend $3 trying to save $1 on write offs.

You really need to calculate your year and determine it off that. Dont fool yourself.
True Joe.
Tax returns are a science all to themselves with thousands of angles. That’s why we all pay our accountants a premium.
Write offs, or reinvestment advantages depend on the situation. They are great as long as they continue to make money for your business. Maybe lower taxable profit and save on a purchase you are going to make anyway.

The bottom line is simple. If you are in a 25% tax bracket, your write off will only save you 25% of every dollar written off. Sometimes, if you can drop a bracket, the savings pays for the purchase.
If you are debt free, in a high tax bracket and want a new vehicle that can be written off, it’s a MAJOR savings.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:14 PM
rsmith2786
Senior User
Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by George C
The Ford dealer across the street from my business has a used 20’ Platinum diesel with 6k on the clock advertised for $83,900. LOL.
I think the clock has struck midnight and prices are going to start to drop…fast.

IMO, unless there is an immediate, immediate need, anyone who isn’t waiting this thing out is is nuts.

True Joe.
Tax returns are a science all to themselves with thousands of angles. That’s why we all pay our accountants a premium.
Write offs, or reinvestment advantages depend on the situation. They are great as long as they continue to make money for your business. Maybe lower taxable profit and save on a purchase you are going to make anyway.

The bottom line is simple. If you are in a 25% tax bracket, your write off will only save you 25% of every dollar written off. Sometimes, if you can drop a bracket, the savings pays for the purchase.
If you are debt free, in a high tax bracket and want a new vehicle that can be written off, it’s a MAJOR savings.
That's not how tax brackets work. Let's say you're $1 over the 25% tax bracket. That $1 gets taxed at the higher rate. The rest is taxed at the lower tiers.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-31-2021, 05:14 AM
George C
Cargo Master
If you are 75K over a 24% tax bracket and now taxing in the 32% bracket, then make a purchase 75K, you are writing off the purchase in that 32% not the 24%. So reinvestment write offs come at a greater savings if a person is close to the increase points. That’s the game. Of course, there are a lot of cards to play as you profit more, like the choice of writing off the entire amount in one year, or pieces of it to help over a 5 year time frame.

In a 37% bracket, one writes off a purchase of 100K vehicle, or whatever purchase qualifies, it’s quite the discount.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:53 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,796 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Originally Posted by Grass Lake Ron
Been hoping for ammunition prices to drop for 6 years now.... I was told now since people are used to paying a 500% markup, that will be the new normal price. That was an insider at Federal.
Some of the cheapest ammo prices we’ve had were within the last 6 years, so I hope you misspoke and didn’t miss the opportunity to buy it cheap.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:25 AM
Grass Lake Ron
Cargo Master
Received 1,005 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Some of the cheapest ammo prices we’ve had were within the last 6 years, so I hope you misspoke and didn’t miss the opportunity to buy it cheap.
No I bought what I could.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:06 AM
Tsubakihara
Laughing Gas
Received 205 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Have you tried Sunrise Ford down the street (I-10) in Fontana?

The fleet director, Bobby Williams, has been Ford truck forum friendly in years past. He sponsored a couple of PSD forums, and was one of the founding members of SOCAPS (Southern California Power Strokes).

He's been at Sunrise for 20 years now. You might see what kind of "market adjustment" he has, if any.
Used to think this too. Bought my 2017 from him. I won’t go into it, but buyer beware.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:24 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by David.drcham27
In the DFW area beware of any dealership owned by Berkshire Hathaway. There are lots of dealers of every vehicle type. They are universally bad to deal with. They are the leaders at price gouging. Grapevine Ford and their evil sisters are marking F-150 King Ranches up by $15,000.

‘’I’ve bought 5 vehicles at Grapevine Ford over the years but I will never do business there again. In fact…..stay away from Berkshire Hathaway owned dealers. There are still good dealers out there but these BH shops aren’t in that class.
There is an easy way of dealing with price gouging…
”Don't buy”..

Old 08-09-2021, 09:59 AM
mcmurm
More Turbo
Received 182 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by David.drcham27
In the DFW area beware of any dealership owned by Berkshire Hathaway. There are lots of dealers of every vehicle type. They are universally bad to deal with. They are the leaders at price gouging. Grapevine Ford and their evil sisters are marking F-150 King Ranches up by $15,000.

‘’I’ve bought 5 vehicles at Grapevine Ford over the years but I will never do business there again. In fact…..stay away from Berkshire Hathaway owned dealers. There are still good dealers out there but these BH shops aren’t in that class.
I've bought two vehicles from the same dealership too. I was going to get my F-350 from them last year but they simply wouldn't move the needle. I ended up getting it about 9% off MSRP at another dealer in Missouri.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:50 PM
250Plat
Cross-Country
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
And it's here, earlier than I said. 2% below invoice on trucks, next will be back to the old, invoice minus holdback position...

Pretty easy to predict these things, simple economics and timelines.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:50 PM
Runnn
New User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I was fortunate as I placed a deposit on a future build dealer inventory unit (F-250 Platinum) at the start of March, before the chip shortage kicked into high gear. It was to be in May, but it ended up being built at the start of a July, and I got it at the end of July. I negotiated the price when I placed the deposit in March, and that’s how I got the deal I got. Yes, I waited quite a while for my truck, but that was the choice I MADE. I got invoice price which is great in this abnormal environment, but in normal times it would be the starting price before the discounting started. Also got a $2000 PCO from Ford in early July.

Ever since COVID, good luck getting a great price on anything desirable! Sure, there’s some awesome pricing on crap that nobody wants, but that’s good ole supply and demand for ya. Plus, this inflationary environment we’ve been thrust into isn’t helping. Yes, there is New dealer in Iowa offering 2% behind Invoice (great price), but… it may take up to 6 months or beyond, and that’s if the dealer gets allocation for the Superduty model & trim you want? I’ve only paid MSRP for one vehicle in my life (in my upper 50’s) and it was 100% WORTH IT—my 2019 C7 ZR1.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:53 PM
Rtaylor522
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 250Plat
And it's here, earlier than I said. 2% below invoice on trucks, next will be back to the old, invoice minus holdback position...

Pretty easy to predict these things, simple economics and timelines.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but as a follow on, There are at least a few 2020 Plat Diesels USED around here (Wash DC Area) that are listed over 83-84K, and a few stretching for 86K. Myself and someone else I know were just offered this week 75K on a 38,000 mile KR and a 25,000 mile Plat (2020 diesels). It's what we paid when purchased. So, I agree, people will stop buying eventually, but the madness will continue on the used market as long as Ford fan boys "need" a new trim truck and don't want to wait an obscene amount of time for a new production model. More interesting yet is the fact that 2022 production of Limited, Plat, and Lariat with Adaptive Steering has been stopped for nearly a month now, and the weekly update says they will not be produced until further notice. This further makes well conditioned used truck with those features (Adaptive, spray in liners, etc.) an even more "valuable hahaha" vehicle because you can't get one anymore (for the time being).

All this said, I'm capitalizing and getting out now while I can still fetch top dollar, and my truck is used for Camper/Cargo trailer hauling for personal use, and I really don't need it in the winter. I can wait as my job isn't tied to it. So I'll go back to pushing a beater around until the new truck delivers. I also got lucky and have a $2500 PCO tied to this deal, and I did 26,000 miles in 10 months on the truck, so I'm taking the money I was going to put in extended warranty and tires next year into the deal as well.....all in, this is a very lucrative time if the stars align.

I predict you are correct that this whole thing will come crumbling down....should be a prime buying opportunity for those entering the market, but the used/trade values will fall just as hard as the dealer offered prices on new models.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:13 PM
250Plat
Cross-Country
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rtaylor522
More interesting yet is the fact that 2022 production of Limited, Plat, and Lariat with Adaptive Steering has been stopped for nearly a month now, and the weekly update says they will not be produced until further notice. This further

Just to add some numbers to your above about delays. From the 2022 Tracking spreadsheet, appears most orders now are correcting, and avg. days to build is like 60 days or so. So if you order a truck you are more than likely to get it within 90 days or less to your door.

Link:
2022 Tracking Spreadsheet

Old 08-16-2021, 09:16 PM
Rtaylor522
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 250Plat
"More interesting yet is the fact that 2022 production of Limited, Plat, and Lariat with Adaptive Steering has been stopped for nearly a month now, and the weekly update says they will not be produced until further notice. This further makes well conditioned used truck with those features (Adaptive, spray in liners, etc.) an even more "valuable hahaha" vehicle because you can't get one anymore (for the time being)."
-------------

Just to add some numbers to your above about delays. From the 2022 Tracking spreadsheet, appears most orders now are correcting, and avg. days to build is like 60 days or so. So if you order a truck you are more than likely to get it within 90 days or less to your door.

Link:
2022 Tracking Spreadsheet
That's good news....the shorter I'm without my truck the better, as pushing around the beaters is no fun . Either way, I ordered this evening, so I suspect it will get dropped in the hopper tomorrow morning. Should be interesting to see how it goes. My dealer today suggested ordering my KR without the Adaptive, but I threw it on and figured I'd roll the dice based on the info flying around in here.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:11 AM
ScotD82
Senior User
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
One of the dealers here in NH has a USED 2021 Lariat with 11,0000 miles for almost $6,000 over original MSRP.

https://www.irwinzone.com/used-Lacon...8W3BT6MEC83796