1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 F100 coyote build

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 10:10 AM
Stroker7_3
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
55 F100 coyote build

Hi I am new here but have been looking for good info on F100 builds for a while now. I decided to start building my F100 up this winter, I shoved a 34 Ford coupe into the barn so I could tackle this project.

after year down and blasting a mustang 2 front end was installed with ridetech airbags, a shortened spooled 9 inch with 31 inch slicks in the rear (slicks are going to be smaller when done) ridetech 4 link in the rear. Power plant I finally decided on a 5.0 coyote the other day, picked that up and 6r80 to go with it. I just started mocking that up yesterday.

I had been reading through some of the other thread that was super good on the 53 aluminator but his thread just died so I hope some
of those people can help give me some advice on finishing mine up.

My biggest problem now is the motor with fat fender mounts is going to have steering clearance issues. Down below I have a photo of that.

The day I decided to pull the F100 out of the field. I pushed a 34 Ford coupe aside to start this truck, I thought it would be a faster build but then I decided to get crazy on it.

Getting ready to lift the cab

Stripping the frame for sand blasting

Mustang 2 front install

Welded closed the million holes Ford put in these frames

Rear end mocked up, love it when slicks fit with no modification

Boxing in the frame, before this the frame flexed so bad I would have twisted into a pretzel

Ridetech 4 link going in

Truck will be on airbags all the way around

I had no idea how much notch the frame would need, I later learned this was excessive

Bags installed on the front, she gets really low

Start of trying to mock up the motor. I have fat fender motor mounts to try this with.

Not sure i like how fat fender placed the mounts I’m definitely going to have clearance issues with steering

Old 04-13-2021, 11:37 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Nice! I just picked up an M2 kit for my '48 that looks very similar. Who makes your kit?

Old 04-13-2021, 12:46 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 544 Likes on 311 Posts
Welcome and great build thread and pics . You must have read somewhere we like pics .

Old 04-13-2021, 01:41 PM
Stroker7_3
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by hivoltj
Nice! I just picked up an M2 kit for my '48 that looks very similar. Who makes your kit?
I purchased most of my parts from speedway. The M2 crossmember is the speedway crossmember. It’s very similar to heidts. I didn’t want to buy the complete kit because I knew I was going airbags so I wanted the ridetech lower a arms for airbags.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:31 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Stroker7_3
I purchased most of my parts from speedway. The M2 crossmember is the speedway crossmember. It’s very similar to heidts. I didn’t want to buy the complete kit because I knew I was going airbags so I wanted the ridetech lower a arms for airbags.

Thought it looked familiar i got the same crossmember from speedway and their kit with coils.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:13 PM
Stroker7_3
5th Wheeling
Have a technical motor mount question. Passenger side mount clears just fine the driver side impacts or gets way to close to the steering rack. Do motor mounts need to be as symmetrical as possible? If I flip the driver side mount I get plenty of room. Only problem is passenger side doesn’t flip.

Driver side when it matches the passenger side. This was before I had to move the motor even farther back where it actually touches now.

Driver side flipped upside down.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:45 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I looked at that yesterday and yes I think it could be flipped, as long as the structural integrity is not compromised, ... but would just shortening the mount a little not do the same thing?

Old 04-14-2021, 08:05 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 544 Likes on 311 Posts
I see no reason flipping it would be a problem .

Old 04-18-2021, 01:13 PM
Stroker7_3
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Old F1
I looked at that yesterday and yes I think it could be flipped, as long as the structural integrity is not compromised, ... but would just shortening the mount a little not do the same thing?
i thought about shortening it just didn’t feel like cutting it at that time may still try shortening it

Old 04-18-2021, 01:20 PM
Stroker7_3
5th Wheeling
Well I was waiting on a new oil pan to arrive to help with placement issues on the frame so I started working on the cab rust....

Can had more rust then I originally hoped. Guess I’m gonna learn sheet metal work today.

Formed an oval piece and welded shut the gas tank hole

Turned out ok for my first time ever playing with sheet metal

Not sure how I’m going to proceed with this yet

Found a lot more rust then I anticipated think I need a new rocker panel and this inner corner now

Decided to get crazy and shave the drip rail.

Hasn’t been too hard yet on the sides. I started with a air grinder but it took a while to cut through. Found that the sawsall fits perfect and cuts quick, just making sure I angle away from the cab.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:44 PM
rzns60
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know what Radiator/Fan solution you are planning to use with the Coyote? Trying to figure out the options with mine.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:08 PM
Brian in Calgary
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Livin the same dream Stroker

Thanks for sharing your photos, looks like we're working on very similar projects. I have the gen 2 2016 F150 Coyote with a TR3650 5 speed in mine. Had the cab painted and installed it a couple of weeks ago and am slowing putting things back together. Thanks again for sharing, nice work!

Old 05-05-2021, 09:13 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian in Calgary
Thanks for sharing your photos, looks like we're working on very similar projects. I have the gen 2 2016 F150 Coyote with a TR3650 5 speed in mine. Had the cab painted and installed it a couple of weeks ago and am slowing putting things back together. Thanks again for sharing, nice work!
Brian, welcome to FTE the best Ford truck Forum on the World Wide Web!

Start a new thread and introduce yourself with lots of pics of your truck!

Old 05-06-2021, 03:34 AM
ingo
More Turbo
Received 164 Likes on 89 Posts
Interesting Thread here.
You removed 3 Framecrossmembers, i´m curious how / if you will replace them.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:10 PM
Stroker7_3
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by ingo
Interesting Thread here.
You removed 3 Framecrossmembers, i´m curious how / if you will replace them.

the stock frame is actually garbage on these trucks and flexed all over the place even with all those crossmembers. After boxing the frame with 3/16 plate I added a rear crossmember for the airbags. Between just the rear crossmember and the mustang 2 crossmember the frame doesn’t flex at all. I’m adding one more crossmember in the middle with a driveshaft loop once I have the driveshaft in.

If I was to redo this project I would have just built a new frame with 2x6 stock.

Quick Reply: 55 F100 coyote build