2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Key question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 03:17 PM
GMB Racing
Mountain Pass
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
Key question

We have a 2018 f250, both key fobs were stolen during a breaking, How can I get new keys as it is sitting in the garage. Backed in of course (FD truck)

Old 04-11-2021, 03:23 PM
robert sloane
Laughing Gas
Received 299 Likes on 208 Posts
i think the new fob programing has to be done via the ford computer plugged into your vehicle.
i would call your dealer and get the skinny, might need to be towed or maybe a tech can come out for a charge.
i would make sure my garage is LOCKED and LOCKED until you get it sorted out
turn off your garage door opener and physically latch it so it cant be pushed up

Old 04-11-2021, 04:20 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,388 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Sometimes a locksmith can program new keyfobs.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:18 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 598 Likes on 397 Posts
Originally Posted by GMB Racing
We have a 2018 f250, both key fobs were stolen during a breaking, How can I get new keys as it is sitting in the garage. Backed in of course (FD truck)
did they just break into your truck or your house and get the key fobs?

Crooks like to return to the scene shortly after a house break-in so be alert.

Until you get the existing fobs deleted and new fobs programmed I would at least disable the truck from being started. I know on my 2019 Diesel with push button start the truck would not start with the Start/Run relay removed.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:26 PM
GMB Racing
Mountain Pass
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
They Broke into the fire dept station and disabled all the trucks by stealing All the keys from every vehicle and took the spares from the office.
The truck has been towed to local dealer who has ordered new fobs and will disable the old ones and program the truck. not cheap but we need fire/ ems protection .

Old 04-12-2021, 02:28 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,028 Likes on 788 Posts
I once was in a simular situation.

I took my title to the dealership and they made me new keys using the vin.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:47 PM
whagen
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I would make sure they make new keys (not duplicates of the one's stolen) and disable the original keys.

That is very sad to hear that someone stole all the keys from a fire department. That puts the entire community at risk. Sounds like a very disgruntled individual/s. I hope the individual/s found and prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. Waterboarding with a fire hose might be appropriate.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:59 PM
FishRanger
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
I was going to start a new thread but this ties in to my wife losing her fob for my truck. We actually think her mother took it. She has dementia and we had taken her Fusion away from her. She has been asking for her keys back and we think she may have taken it on one of her visits to our house. It said Ford on the fob so that would have been close enough for her but by now she would not remember it. I have found a replacement for around $70 on Ebay but that does not include programming. Since I have a working fob I was wondering if it can be programmed without going to a dealer.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:00 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 598 Likes on 397 Posts
Originally Posted by FishRanger
I was going to start a new thread but this ties in to my wife losing her fob for my truck. We actually think her mother took it. She has dementia and we had taken her Fusion away from her. She has been asking for her keys back and we think she may have taken it on one of her visits to our house. It said Ford on the fob so that would have been close enough for her but by now she would not remember it. I have found a replacement for around $70 on Ebay but that does not include programming. Since I have a working fob I was wondering if it can be programmed without going to a dealer.
Unfortunately you need 2 working FOBs to self program an additional FOB. The dealer and Some locksmiths have the proper computer program and ability to reprogram fobs no matter how many you have. I recommend you buy 2 additional fobs and have those and the original programmed. That way if you lose a fob you can self program another yourself. I just had the need with my F150 when I dropped a fob in the grass and it was run over by a lawnmower. I had already programmed 2 additional fobs so I wasn’t in a bind. So I then bought another online at the link below and had the dealer cut the key for $5 and I self programmed it.

I use https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/ to purchase additional Fobs. They ship original OEM fobs quickly.

This is what my fob looked like after it was run over.

Name:  Sa9W8fFl.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  45.7 KB

Old 04-12-2021, 09:17 PM
FishRanger
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks, Flyct. The fob is evidently not lawn mower proof.

Right after posting this I went searching again with no luck. Then I sat down with the wife and we started thinking about when we were in the truck together. She will usually take her set with her just in case. All we have been able to come up with was our month long trip to Colorado with our fifth wheel last September. I had searched the fifth wheel pretty thoroughly already. Then it hit me, we had gone hiking at a local lake in January and had taken our back packs. I got hers out, handed it to her and said take a look. They were in the first pocket she opened. My apologies to my mother-in-law.

A third fob is being ordered.