Sponsored by:

PATS Issue???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 01:51 PM
78CJ5
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PATS Issue???

Looking for a little advice. I have a 2002 Ex that I got last year. V10 4x4.

It had a HyperTech Tuner Setup (which I didn't know at the time I got it). I wanted to go to a different one, so I reached out to the Got it from and got the Turner and went to remove the Tuner Setup and restore to stock. It seemed to do it, got the message of it writing and it got to 100 % and said to remove tuner.

Now all it does is crank only and now I noticed that the "Thief Light Flashes" really fast. So I guess something happened to the PATS System and according to HyperTech their system doesn't touch that.

So is there anyway to reset the PATS without towing it to a Ford Dealership???

Thanks for any and all Help!

David Phelps

Old 03-11-2021, 02:00 PM
2002Ex
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) uses radio frequency identification technology to deter a drive-away theft. Passive means that it does not require any activity from the user. This system is known as SecuriLock(R) in North America, Safeguard(R) in the U.K., and PATS in continental Europe. This information can be found in owner literature.

The PATS uses a specially-encoded ignition key. Each encoded ignition key contains a permanently installed electronic device called a transponder. Each transponder contains a unique encrypted identification code out of over 18 billion, billion combinations.

Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into the vehicle PATS module before it can be used to start the engine. There are special diagnostic repair procedures that must be carried out if the encoded ignition keys need to be replaced.

The transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. This module is located behind the steering column shroud, and contains an antenna connected to a small electronics module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends the data to the PATS module.

The control functions are contained in the PATS module. This module carries out all of the PATS functions, such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition key and controlling engine enable. The PATS module initiates the key interrogation sequence when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to RUN or START.

PATS uses the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to enable or disable the engine. The PATS module communicates with the PCM over the Standard Corporate Protocol (SCP) communication network in order to enable engine operation. The PATS module and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to prevent theft. The PATS and PCM share security data when first installed together, making them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The PCM shared security ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The PATS module also stores the vehicle key identification code, even if the battery is disconnected. There are special diagnostic repair procedures in this workshop manual that may be carried out if either a new PATS module or the PCM needs to be installed.

All elements of the PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start. PATS uses a THEFT indicator. This indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS concern, this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily when the ignition is turned to RUN or START. PATS also flashes the theft indicator every two seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.

The PATS is not compatible with aftermarket remote starting systems, which allow the vehicle to be started from outside the vehicle. These systems may reduce the vehicle security level, and also may cause no-start issues. Remote start systems must be removed before investigation of PATS-related no start issues.

The passive vehicle protection system will be activated and will disable the vehicle from starting if there is a:
  • damaged encoded key.
  • unprogrammed key.
  • non-encoded key (key has no electronics).
  • wiring concern.
  • transceiver concern.
  • PCM concern.
  • SCP network concern between the PATS module and the PCM.
  • PATS module concern.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:08 PM
78CJ5
5th Wheeling
Thanks, could a different key work?

David

Old 03-12-2021, 08:37 PM
2002Ex
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 78CJ5
Thanks, could a different key work?

David
A new key has to be coded to your PATS receiver or it will not work. Thats something you might be able to do with ForScan, but typically it is a Locksmith or Dealership for that.

If it ran fine with the Hypertuner and removing it killed your EX, then your answer is that the tuner messed with the PCM, BCM or PATS. You would have to have a good code reader or ForScan to do some diagnostics onb the modules and check for codes. ForScan is free, the stealership is not.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:56 AM
78CJ5
5th Wheeling
Thank you 2002Ex

Old 03-30-2021, 06:12 PM
78CJ5
5th Wheeling
The Saga continues. I had it towed to a Local Ford Dealer (after I had to use by CJ5 to pulled around the corner as the SSS Driver said he couldn't load on the Flat Bed backwards.He wanted his his truck and winch it around the corner and that sounded like a lot of work. Now I'll back in in all the time). They have had it over a week now and they are telling me they can't communicate with the PCM (last Friday). They say they checked the Fuses for the Data-link and for the one that goes to the PCM and other things. I was going by yesterday (their Customer Service Skills suck) so I stopped in and happened to be able to talk to the Service Writer and the Mechanic working on it. He said he wants to ring the guys neck that installed the Kenwood Unit I has installed ( I thought it was a Good Local Car Audio Shop) as he doesn't think it was wired correctly, I think he said the the wired to tell the unit it's in reverse was hooked into The Speed Control and that could kill the engine. He can into the PCM thru a "Back Door) and was running diagnosis on it.