Sponsored by:

LED Light bulbs for Instrument Panel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 06:38 AM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
LED Light bulbs for Instrument Panel

I’ve conducted a search for type and number of bulbs in my dash and found one video on YouTube with a guy who has an F-350. Very helpful video, but I am unsure if the bulbs (number of/type) is exactly the same as my 2000 Ex.
Anybody know the answer as to what type and quantity of LED bulbs are needed to make the change?
Thanks.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:58 AM
Dweber85rc
Laughing Gas
Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
I can't find it but there is a thread in here somewhere that someone documented changing every bulb including the dash over to led.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:44 AM
DetroitEx
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...cks-build.html
Post #5, it's on my to-do list as well...

there's also a post in the tech folder for other component LED swap;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14855531

Old 11-29-2020, 11:44 AM
Rainmaker1
Laughing Gas
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts
Be prepared, the area on the speedometer around the 50-70 mph range won't be as bright as the rest giving a "dimmer" look. I've not heard of anyone who found the reason or fix for this. Nature of the beast I guess. If someone does have the answer/fix for this, please let us know. You will see a huge improvement of brightness in your instruments and it's a welcome improvement. Be sure to get high quality dimmable bulbs. Not a job you want to do multiple times.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:06 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Rainmaker is correct. I changed ever interior/exterior light on my X except the instrument cluster light. I put LEDs in my overhead console and they are bright. That is the reason I did not due the instrument panel. Plus you may not be able to dim the panel.

Ed

Old 11-30-2020, 03:52 AM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, the bulb(s) that light up my tach are out, so if I have to go in, I might as well do LEDs.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:37 AM
MommysLilAnnabel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a my dash is actually burnt out. And I’ve been looking into this but I didn’t know what a good brand of LED would be to get.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:13 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 329 Likes on 250 Posts
I put in led and then took them out due to poor light distribution, to many hot spots and then dimly lit areas. The cluster is very well engineered for the halogen bulb snd **** poor for led

Old 11-30-2020, 04:59 PM
MommysLilAnnabel
New User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
I put in led and then took them out due to poor light distribution, to many hot spots and then dimly lit areas. The cluster is very well engineered for the halogen bulb snd **** poor for led
thats good to know, thanks so much letting mes know.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:25 AM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
I have had really good luck dealing with Super Bright LEDs, so far, with my rear brake lights/turn signals and flasher relay. The site said to use the same color light bulb as what you are trying to illuminate and it worked great for my Ex’s rear end, but they don’t make any color or brightness recommendation concerning the gauges. They give three (3) different brightness levels and then a separate selection for color. I sent them a question about this. Hopefully, they will be able to help.

Oh, by the way, changing out the flasher relay was definitely a pain. I ground down the edges of the trash bag hook opening and still wound up with this:

If I can figure out how to make a YouTube video, I’ll post up what my brake lights do when I hit the stop pedal.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:45 AM
MommysLilAnnabel
New User
Originally Posted by ASFC27FTFBQ
I have had really good luck dealing with Super Bright LEDs, so far, with my rear brake lights/turn signals and flasher relay. The site said to use the same color light bulb as what you are trying to illuminate and it worked great for my Ex’s rear end, but they don’t make any color or brightness recommendation concerning the gauges. They give three (3) different brightness levels and then a separate selection for color. I sent them a question about this. Hopefully, they will be able to help.

Oh, by the way, changing out the flasher relay was definitely a pain. I ground down the edges of the trash bag hook opening and still wound up with this:

If I can figure out how to make a YouTube video, I’ll post up what my brake lights do when I hit the stop pedal.
that would be amazing if they answer the questions

Old 12-03-2020, 06:15 PM
Rainmaker1
Laughing Gas
For ANY led bulb, I use VLEDS. Especially for brake and backup lights. Go as bright as you can and let those behind see what you're doing!
https://www.vleds.com/shop-applicati...ghts/3157.html
https://www.vleds.com/shop-applicati...ngle-bulb.html

I even added the license plate light so I can really see when I back up!

Old 12-05-2020, 08:50 AM
MommysLilAnnabel
New User
Originally Posted by Rainmaker1
For ANY led bulb, I use VLEDS. Especially for brake and backup lights. Go as bright as you can and let those behind see what you're doing!
https://www.vleds.com/shop-applicati...ghts/3157.html
https://www.vleds.com/shop-applicati...ngle-bulb.html

I even added the license plate light so I can really see when I back up!
ill give them a look see. Do they make a bulb thats works for all the interior & dashboard too????

Old 12-05-2020, 07:28 PM
Rainmaker1
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by MommysLilAnnabel
ill give them a look see. Do they make a bulb thats works for all the interior & dashboard too????
I'm unsure if they have the tiny T-3 or T-5 (I think those were the sizes) bulbs. but they do have the interiors. Check them out. They are not cheap like you find on cheep-Bay or Amazon, but they are the BEST! I cheeped out on my 3rd brake light and license plate illumination lights, but all the rest are from VLEDS, the important ones.

I posted pictures of the brake lights activated and the back-up lights activated on another thread. Here's the link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...xorcist-2.html

I did a lot to this truck in 2020, and 2021 promises a lot more. Fortunately from here on out is mostly cosmetic.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:14 PM
JAck19
Laughing Gas
Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts
For all of the below mentioned bulbs, I only recommend the 5000K color. Anything higher looks too blue
VLEDS 194 style bulb - 14-LED
VLEDS 74-style bulb

For your cluster illumination you'll want 5 of the 194 style, and one of the 74.

I don't recommend swapping the indicators, except maybe the blinkers. It's not worth the money or headache. At the end of the day, it's your call and your truck. If you decide you want to anyway, order the color that corresponds to the color it appears on your dash. It will look much more vibrant than white bulbs. My ever-fading memory wants to say it's 7 Red, 6 Amber, 3 Green, and 1 Blue.
VLEDS T5

If you want to do your HVAC controls, grab two more 74. I highly recommend you do this while doing the cluster illumination. It's SO easy to get to them while your dash is apart.

If you want to do the overhead HVAC, they take a pair of 194 bulbs, but it's pretty bright...too bright. The standard halogen bulbs do a better job there.

My build thread will answer most of your questions in posts #5-9, & #18

Good luck!

Quick Reply: LED Light bulbs for Instrument Panel