Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 F350 4wd diesel single cab steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 06:58 PM
blanes
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 F350 4wd diesel single cab steering issue

Hello all,

This site has been a tremendous help to me in the past. I wish I could offer solutions to those who post here but the vast majority of you are a lot more knowledgeable about these trucks than I. With that said, I am back again to gratefully request help to a steering issue I have. It may be helpful to note that the truck suspension is stock and I am not running oversized wheels and tires. The truck has 186,000 miles on it.

My truck has suffered from loose steering for quite a few years. I first replace the steering column shaft hoping that would help but it didn't. With the next level of improvements after that beyond my skill level at the time I took it to the dealership. They replaced the steering gear box and the fist linkage after the steering box. They also replace a steering column bearing somewhere near the steering wheel. That was good for awhile but then the looseness and clunking noises returned. I then replaced the next linkage down the line and that helped for a little while but the steering again loosened up and starting clunking when turning the steering wheel. I then replaced the last linkage in the steering assembly and that helped only for a couple months before the clunking and looseness returned. At this point I bought new tires and had an alignment done and the shop showed me how loose all the steering linkages were. The Moog steering parts I put on the truck lasted less than 12,000 miles. I had the shop replace all the steering linkages starting at the steering gear box. They also found a bad bearing in the front driver side hub and replaced it then too.

After all this work the steering is much better and quieter however, I steel get a clunking noise when I turn the steering wheel. I can hear the clunking in the cab, I can feel the clunking on the steering wheel and through my feet on the floor. What else could it be? I am perplexed. One odd thing I have noticed, and I could be off on this, but at times when the suspension flexes when steering it feels like the steering column shaft is telescoping in and out a little bit. If my perception is correct how could this be? The steering wheel position is fixed in the cab and isn't the steering gear box bolted to the frame?

Sorry for the long post but I have dealing with this for years and I thought by replacing all the steering linkages 3 weeks ago that my life would be complete, but no, I am still dealing with the darn clunking in my front end.

Any insight any of you can share would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Blane

Old 09-04-2020, 11:08 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 405 Likes on 308 Posts
Its the tie rods most likely. On the solid axle trucks, like ours, the way the linkage is oriented allows the tie rods to "roll" forward and backward when turning the wheel. The way to help eliminate this is to clock the tie rods, one forward and one all the way tilted back. Then snug up the connecting sleeve bolts. Its not a miracle cure, but it helps with the clunking and looseness.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:29 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,296 Likes on 2,291 Posts
it could also be a cracked frame at the steering box mounts, or bad spring bushings..

Old 09-05-2020, 08:59 AM
blanes
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brett and Tom - Thanks for the replies. (A Super Crew Cab, now that is something I have never seen before.)

I am leaning toward what Brett is suggesting as when the linkages were first installed in all cases the clunking ceased but after a couple weeks the clunking began again. I noticed when they were first installed the tie rod was in a fixed position and did not roll much due to the tight tie rod ends but after a couple weeks I could easily roll the bar all the way forward and backward. I didn't know if it was meant to do this or if they were already worn. So to index the ends, one forward and one backward, makes perfect sense as a way to decrease the rolling action.

I don't think the frame is cracked because immediately after new linkages were installed life was good and I felt like I was driving a new truck. The spring bushings did cross my mind as something I should check out and now that you have mentioned it as a possible noise issue I'll put it on my list of things to do.

Thanks again,
Blane

Old 09-05-2020, 10:27 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,296 Likes on 2,291 Posts
when checking spring bushings, check the ones inside the frame for the front shackles too. on a solid axle they do not get the pounding like IFS bushings do, but they still deteriorate. and because they are inside the frame, most do not even think of them because of "out of sight, out of mind"