Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 08:33 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,956 Likes on 1,168 Posts
I’m fascinated with the ‘Decel tune’. If you have to switch tunes to use it, why not put a switch on the dash to activate it?

Old 03-09-2021, 08:44 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,975 Likes on 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Your BTS transmission will shift great with stock PMT2 shift logic. Brian’s own tunes only slightly modify this. He does not modify line pressures except to compensate for oversized tires or something. Many tuners used to muck with transmission stuff a lot more than they do now. I’ve been happy with PHP library 95% of the time - specifically for shifting. Not sure if your injector size is in the Titan library, but I’ll send you my spare/test chip as soon as I get it back. At most, you’ll be out a few bucks to buy a tune from someone to try.

I only feel this strongly because I have helped several people switch to better tunes and the results were always the same. Less smoke, lower EGT, less noise and better MPG. There have been a couple of exceptions, but I blame their failures on the other tuners’ poor customer service (the struggle is real).
Yes but mine is NVK4 and I'm running 37" tires. 205/80 is not but FinnishStroker says the 100% nozzle calibration should work.

Okay I'll give the Hydra a shot if you're willing to send it. I was actually going to try out bsiliani's at the GTG.

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I’m fascinated with the ‘Decel tune’. If you have to switch tunes to use it, why not put a switch on the dash to activate it?
I actually had manual EBPV Brake and TC Lockup modules but those were either full on or full off. I got rid of them and sent them to BWST. The tune kicks the braking in a lot more progressively.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:25 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,648 Likes on 1,159 Posts
You should be able to run PMT logic on the NVK4. I’m doing it on dad’s NVK5 truck right now.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:14 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,956 Likes on 1,168 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Yes but mine is NVK4 and I'm running 37" tires. 205/80 is not but FinnishStroker says the 100% nozzle calibration should work.

Okay I'll give the Hydra a shot if you're willing to send it. I was actually going to try out bsiliani's at the GTG.

I actually had manual EBPV Brake and TC Lockup modules but those were either full on or full off. I got rid of them and sent them to BWST. The tune kicks the braking in a lot more progressively.
Brian likely sized your shift plate to accommodate tires. No special tuning should be needed. You can call him to confirm and even inquire about getting some tunes from him. Definitely tell him about your turbonator - I’m sure he’ll be interested in your experience with that. (Not his daily routine!)

I just feel like we could develop an arduino based EBPV/TCLU controller that would do everything you like about that tune - but better (more automated).

On edit: It’s worth mentioning that Brian told me not to use an exhaust brake, etc. and frowned on tunes that downshift. I recall he mentioned the coast clutch was not designed for that kind of loading and he made some comment about me being able to change my brake pads and not being able to fix my transmission.....

Old 03-09-2021, 10:49 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,517 Likes on 2,875 Posts
A while back I created a thread about the coast clutch, decel tunes and my understaning of them, or lack there of. The 4R100 is a box of magic as far as I am concerned, just like any other automatic transmission...

Some great knowledge and information was shared by many people in the know. See the thread here if interested: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-a-grade.html

There will be a thread coming out as soon as the data is ready related to using different tunes from the PHP library (other tuners as well) that may work better for a PCM. Just because a tuner or PHP says we should use this or that calibration, does not mean that it is the best calibration for our use and driving styles.

There Excel spreadsheet snips I posted a while back above were a small section of the incomplete accumulated data. There is an immense amount of information to formulate in order to make it user friendly.

You have nothing to lose by trying the Hydra as a "trial". There is a lot of that going around lately... If you find you like it, then you can go from there and perhaps when the PCM calibration thread comes out, you can tweak your tunes without ever paying another dime. This theory is 100% accurate for stock injector tunes, but may work for Titan Unlock modified injector tunes as well. I don't know a lot about the choices and availability of various tunes in Titan Unlock. In addition, this could provide a bit of a peak behind the door of mystery for people to be a bit more informed when conversing with a "custom" tuner.

Instead of saying "it isn't right and I need it to be" we may be able to say "PMT1" doesn't work as well as "PMT3" just as an example. Then, the tuner can have a bit of a direction to be pointed in regarding how to make their customer happy and get them out of their hair.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:01 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,638 Likes on 972 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
You should be able to run PMT logic on the NVK4. I’m doing it on dad’s NVK5 truck right now.
Pmt logic on nvk seems to cause shift command issues, nvk stratagies also shift smoother.
​​​​​​
At least this is what I have been finding out after a year of tuning woes on my nvk5 pcm

My truck and pcm are both sort of oddball situations too lol

Old 03-09-2021, 11:08 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,479 Likes on 962 Posts
Im guessing PMT2 wont run on a vdh5?

Old 03-09-2021, 11:48 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
My example of PMT was just an example and in no way should be considered a viable option without verifying the feasibility to use them.

Carry on...

Old 03-09-2021, 11:55 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,638 Likes on 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
My example of PMT was just an example and in no way should be considered a viable option without verifying the feasibility to use them.

Carry on...
I know that the vraa6se (pmt base) is what most tuners try and use, I have been told to use that with nvk5, most of the tuners have sent me those files. But they dont seem to work right.
Either way, I am not knowledgable enought to give any more info. Cody would be the guy with the best answers.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:53 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
To clarify, I’m not completely sure but was assuming the strategy is PMT based. The point was he can run either.

In Hydraflash my PMT2 calls for VRAA6S3, dads NVK5 called for VNAAAS3. Previously the FU burner tool said to use the same VRAA6S3 files for both our trucks.

Hydraflash has many more tune choices for the VRAA6S3 so this is what I’m running on his truck. I was in conversation with Bill at PHP due to some other issues and I asked him about why the strategy recommendation changed between the FU and Hydraflash. He said some NVK people complain about the shifting of the VRAA6S. So I’m ASSUMING this means the recommendation is just to keep people in shifting strategy that they are familiar with. Bill did say his personal preference is the VRAA6S3.

I did suggest to Bill that they include a list of compatible strategies within the Hydraflash box code tool. He said he liked the idea and would look into adding it. Unfortunately I feel like he is an extremely busy guy so this unnecessary addition may never make it into reality. At the very least a compatibility chart would be amazing! Even if it was just a manual lookup.

I also don’t want to leave Cody out. He has been extremely helpful and answered my questions about an old PMT2 chip I had laying around. Cody said it was fine to run on the NVK5 truck. I tried it but didn’t like the tunes, which I also didn’t like on my truck.

Edit: I forgot to mention the NVK5 truck shifts great with the PHP VRAA6S3 tunes.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:34 PM
FordTruckNoob
She's up and running again.

The new S372 sitting pretty in its shipping container.

Part number for the S372 completely different sequence compared to other S300 supercore part numbers.

Can't really tell the difference from an S366 without a measuring device.

Original e-clips were a little tired so they were replaced with stainless circlips.

Turbonator T4 flange stoned clean and flat.

Shakedown video to follow.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:45 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
It lives!

Congrats buddy. Look forward to the shakedown video.

Old 03-14-2021, 07:18 PM
FordTruckNoob
Shakedown run highlights.

Old 03-14-2021, 07:19 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Outstanding news brother!

Old 03-14-2021, 07:25 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Shakedown run highlights.
https://youtu.be/Ne1_GkfaUIg

Truck sounds good Leonard. I did notice you parked down the street from the Wine & Spirit store though. . I still can’t believe they never responded to your Warranty inquiry! Did you not catch the boot blowing on video?

Quick Reply: FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread