FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 11:30 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,027 Likes on 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
That is a big step up!!!

Can you explain what we’re looking at in the maps and how you chose the turbo you did??
This article will do a much better job than I can.

For example, this map is easy to understand.

Lol! I pity the fool who doesn’t understand that one.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:05 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,581 Likes on 2,905 Posts
For example, this map is easy to understand.
Clever lad, we see what you did there...

Turbo maps can be confusing durpe to all of the squiggly lines and axis, but you learn to ignore the noise, their message is easily identified. A few FTE'rs spent some time educating me on turbo maps several years ago and I am grateful I took the time.

Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
This article will do a much better job than I can.
That is a good reference.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:25 PM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by Sous
Clever lad, we see what you did there
In an example if life imitating “art”:

Old 03-07-2021, 07:15 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
In an example if life imitating “art”:
https://youtu.be/XJxnfiiCJKU
https://youtu.be/UW9Fiu9IlA4

‘’You could hear the other anchors laughing in the background... I wonder if she was on a green screen and even realized what she drew…?

Old 03-08-2021, 05:00 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might have missed something but IIRC, Turbonator doesn’t make a VGT house big enough for the 472 according to @countrycar who looked into it. Second, which side of the map do you think you’re crossing, surge or choke?

Old 03-08-2021, 05:19 PM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by The Brad
I might have missed something but IIRC, Turbonator doesn’t make a VGT house big enough for the 472 according to @countrycar who looked into it.
They don't. The 372 has the same 73.37mm turbine as the 366 and 369 though. The only S400 frame size turbo they have a Turbonator for is the 467.7 with the 74.29mm exducer. I wonder if there is enough room in the vanes' PCD to custom machine a Turbonator out to 81.74mm though.
Originally Posted by The Brad
Second, which side of the map do you think you’re crossing, surge or choke?
It depends which operating condition you are talking about. I was approaching choke at the top end when I was watching the MAT start to climb faster than boost was climbing during acceleration. Surge when I had to get off the skinny pedal suddenly and hit the brakes..

Old 03-08-2021, 06:02 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh, there it is! I was assuming 472, not 372. Have you monitored the boost/drive pressure delta? From what I’ve seen, 238/100s at Max effort only saw 45 psi boost with EBP in the mid 60s on a 7.3 with a 366/74/1.0 . Again, sorry if I missed it.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:28 PM
FordTruckNoob
Hey no worries. It’s a lot of thread to get through. The Turbonator is capable of driving a turbo to achieve a 2:1 ratio. I programmed the controller to do that at lower boost levels and the logs show that it hit it. I dare not set that high a ratio approaching max boost. That is set at 50psi and it hit that too. Then stuff went *ping*.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:47 PM
BA86f250
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When do we get a review?

Old 03-08-2021, 10:35 PM
FinnishStroker
Cargo Master
Received 783 Likes on 482 Posts
Been following this but not commenting lately.

First,sorry for your turbo accident and for your cat.

Second,i am pretty sure that failure has everything to do with Turbonator/how it was adjusted.

Remember,you only have the "baby hybrids" with tiny 80% nozzles.Yes,down low the oomph comes from the Turbonator but what about the upper RPMs,when upsizing compressor..?

Other than Turbonator adjustment/operation,
to explode an 366,it should take an massive amounts of fuel and add more to it,or abuse of an exhaust brake.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:41 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by BA86f250
When do we get a review?
When the new turbo actually gets here and I have installed and run it. I'm expecting it this week.

Originally Posted by FinnishStroker
Been following this but not commenting lately.

First,sorry for your turbo accident and for your cat.

Second,i am pretty sure that failure has everything to do with Turbonator/how it was adjusted.

Remember,you only have the "baby hybrids" with tiny 80% nozzles.Yes,down low the oomph comes from the Turbonator but what about the upper RPMs,when upsizing compressor..?

Other than Turbonator adjustment/operation,
to explode an 366,it should take an massive amounts of fuel and add more to it,or abuse of an exhaust brake.
I agree to a certain extent. The Turbonator is capable of driving a supercore a lot harder than the regular turbine scroll. My theory is the 366 got overdriven in the Turbonator's quest to achieve target boost, and then the sudden shutoff surged the compressor so bad it stopped it dead while the turbine kept trying to spin. My hope is that moving up to a larger compressor will get me the mass flow to maintain boost requested while lowering turbocharger rpm. So yes, the failure is because of the way the Turbonator has been adjusted, but it was adjusted that way because of the desire to flow more air in order to reduce EGTs.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:51 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,025 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Man, I really wish you would explore better tuning to reduce your EGT’s... So many of us have been where you are with that and found a solution.

I’m currently running 238/100’s and an old school S366 with 150k miles on it now. I run out of fuel long before EGT’s are a problem. Low RPM smoke is a problem, but I have not requested any revisions yet.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:00 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,581 Likes on 2,905 Posts
Man, I really wish you would explore better tuning to reduce your EGT’s... So many of us have been where you are with that and found a solution.

I’m currently running 238/100’s and an old school S366 with 150k miles on it now. I run out of fuel long before EGT’s are a problem. Low RPM smoke is a problem, but I have not requested any revisions yet.
The problem is that he needs the "decel tune" or "exhaust brake" tune from DP in order to utilize the exhaust brake feature of the Turbonator. So, unless he can find a Hydra tuner that will support his exhaust brake endeavor with the Turbonator, he is stuck with DP Tuner.

Unless I am understanding the function of the Turbonator, which is entirely possible.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:07 AM
FordTruckNoob

Originally Posted by Sous
The problem is that he needs the "decel tune" or "exhaust brake" tune from DP in order to utilize the exhaust brake feature of the Turbonator. So, unless he can find a Hydra tuner that will support his exhaust brake endeavor with the Turbonator, he is stuck with DP Tuner.

Unless I am understanding the function of the Turbonator, which is entirely possible.
You are both right. I have stuck with DP because of the decel tune (I have since learned that there are tuners that can do a decel tune) but also because the BTS shifts so well with it. I’ve read so many reports of Hydra tunes causing shift issues that I’m a little gun shy. Right now the truck is running great aside from the high EGT when I’m pushing it. I seem to be on the right path to solving that issue. Do I really want to switch to a Hydra and play tuner merry-go-round?

Old 03-09-2021, 08:30 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,025 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Your BTS transmission will shift great with stock PMT2 shift logic. Brian’s own tunes only slightly modify this. He does not modify line pressures except to compensate for oversized tires or something. Many tuners used to muck with transmission stuff a lot more than they do now. I’ve been happy with PHP library 95% of the time - specifically for shifting. Not sure if your injector size is in the Titan library, but I’ll send you my spare/test chip as soon as I get it back. At most, you’ll be out a few bucks to buy a tune from someone to try.

I only feel this strongly because I have helped several people switch to better tunes and the results were always the same. Less smoke, lower EGT, less noise and better MPG. There have been a couple of exceptions, but I blame their failures on the other tuners’ poor customer service (the struggle is real).

Quick Reply: FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread