1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Khan's 95 Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 12:33 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Received 197 Likes on 130 Posts
More work done. time for another beer.

looks like the sandwich plate is 3/8's, not 3/16's.

also, my hitch is not an Atwood like Hit Man X's, but its a Buyer's Product Co. Also its older than my truck. That's most likely because this has been installed since the beginning of 1995. Plan now is to clean up the plates, round the edges, paint, and replace with grade 8 carriage bolts. Are two bolts in the sides and top going to be enough? Or should I add more while I'm this far in?

Cant even tell where it was

Old 07-12-2020, 03:04 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,181 Likes on 961 Posts
Thumbs up

Keep me posted, I may replace more fasteners below if needed. I know not much about these goose setups.

My seven pin in bed is a nice Curt setup. They have a piggyback setup with harness for the truck bed and the opposite end taps into the seven pin mounted by the bumper or where ever it is at. I like clean and neat stuff. I had to find two used, OE plugs in the junkyard to fit the Curt seven pin at bumper. One grey and one black sounds right. All crimped and heat shrunk!

Old 07-29-2020, 07:42 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas
At the advice of Hit Man X, I ordered the master cylinder brake switch that Ford recalled back in the day. While it hasn't been an issue so far, there is no telling when something 25 years old is going to quit, or in this case, start leaking oil and catch my truck on fire. Below I linked Eric's experience swapping out the switch. Literally took me longer to go get the step, grab the wrenches and pop the hood than it did actually swapping the part out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-control.html

Yucky old switch pulled out. Requires a 9/16's open end wrench to remove.

Fancy new switch installed. Requires a 7/8's open end wrench to install.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:44 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
This is great! Very clean truck.

Any plans for the next thing? Maybe trans stuff? Tugger kit, coon mod, etc?

Old 07-29-2020, 07:02 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
This is great! Very clean truck.

Any plans for the next thing? Maybe trans stuff? Tugger kit, coon mod, etc?
Thanks! It's been a work in progress for sure, lots of sweat, blood, and swear words.

I'm collecting stuff to do the vent tank mods, a 38 Gal rear tank, redo some fuel lines with 3/8's and firesleeve, remount the spare tire with 5/8's rod, and do a variation of the hutch mod in tanks using stainless steel compression fittings.

Other than that I want to redo my driveshaft u joints and carrier bearing, paint the shaft, and after that will be the cross over to the T4 dark side.

Haven't looked into trans stuff too much yet. I really want a built trans like a Sam Wyse or a BTS or similar. Buuuuuut that probably won't happen since I have 20k on my current E4OD.

What's the hot ticket in valve bodies and TC's for these trans?

Old 07-29-2020, 07:46 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 381 Likes on 287 Posts
Awesome truck and amazing work you've done. I have added a few items to my own ever growing list after reading through this. I wish my engine bay was as clean as yours!

Old 07-29-2020, 08:14 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Edgethis
Awesome truck and amazing work you've done. I have added a few items to my own ever growing list after reading through this. I wish my engine bay was as clean as yours!
Thanks for the kind words.

My engine bay only looks clean from the top. Behind the P/S bracket and at the exhaust manifolds and below it's real dirty. I figure it's never going to be show room clean, so I'll do the best I can to keep things oiled, free of dirt and rust as possible. I used to love mudding and stuff as a teenager, not so much anymore. I'd rather have things as clean as possible to reduce corrosion and other issues.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:58 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Khan
Thanks! It's been a work in progress for sure, lots of sweat, blood, and swear words.

I'm collecting stuff to do the vent tank mods, a 38 Gal rear tank, redo some fuel lines with 3/8's and firesleeve, remount the spare tire with 5/8's rod, and do a variation of the hutch mod in tanks using stainless steel compression fittings.

Other than that I want to redo my driveshaft u joints and carrier bearing, paint the shaft, and after that will be the cross over to the T4 dark side.

Haven't looked into trans stuff too much yet. I really want a built trans like a Sam Wyse or a BTS or similar. Buuuuuut that probably won't happen since I have 20k on my current E4OD.

What's the hot ticket in valve bodies and TC's for these trans?
BTS is pretty much the best way to go for all thing auto with the E4OD. Brian is top notch. I would not go anywhere else.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:34 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BBslider001
BTS is pretty much the best way to go for all thing auto with the E4OD. Brian is top notch. I would not go anywhere else.
I've heard great things about them. I really wanted to convert this truck to a ZF5 but given all the work to do that I'll just stick with an auto... I can definitely say I like it more now that the shifting isn't as bad with the tunes on there. I can only imagine what a built trans with triple TC and VB can do.

Also ordered some XRP fittings last night to mess around with the fuel lines. One thing I don't like about the Dieselsite E fuel is how the engine lines are routed. Feeding one head and crossing over is fine, but all the loops and back and forths are going to be taken care of.

On an tuning related note, who are the big dogs these days? I'll be looking to swap when I do the T4 later this year....

Old 07-30-2020, 07:44 AM
kmjone00
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Curious to see how you clean up the routing of the fuel lines. Share photos if you can. Enjoying the thread. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:49 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by kmjone00
Curious to see how you clean up the routing of the fuel lines. Share photos if you can. Enjoying the thread. Thanks.
For sure, what's a build thread without pics?

Old 07-30-2020, 09:34 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I've heard great things about them. I really wanted to convert this truck to a ZF5 but given all the work to do that I'll just stick with an auto... I can definitely say I like it more now that the shifting isn't as bad with the tunes on there. I can only imagine what a built trans with triple TC and VB can do.

Also ordered some XRP fittings last night to mess around with the fuel lines. One thing I don't like about the Dieselsite E fuel is how the engine lines are routed. Feeding one head and crossing over is fine, but all the loops and back and forths are going to be taken care of.

On an tuning related note, who are the big dogs these days? I'll be looking to swap when I do the T4 later this year....

ZF-5!!!!! But I digress. I will NEVER tow any length of distance with an auto again. Manuals are my jam, so don't listen to me.

Tuning is all over the map. I am sure someone else will chime in. My tuner guy is a recluse and only tunes when he sees the need....but he's the best in the biz IMO.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:07 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BBslider001
ZF-5!!!!! But I digress. I will NEVER tow any length of distance with an auto again. Manuals are my jam, so don't listen to me.

Tuning is all over the map. I am sure someone else will chime in. My tuner guy is a recluse and only tunes when he sees the need....but he's the best in the biz IMO.
Care to share? Can't be worse than me shifting in and out of O/D going up a hill because the trans wanted to do it's thing and overheating it.... Wouldn't have happened with a ZF that's for sure.

I've heard great things about Cody's tuning. Maybe some day I'll get to try it.... who knows.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:36 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,181 Likes on 961 Posts
Thumbs up

I wonder who on this forum has successfully reman a ZF S5-47...in their living room?

If you have a stock converter, that is hurting your running temps and I am sure laying out the power. When I had my 6.4, the PI triple disc made a HUGE difference in performance. Towing and flat out accelerating.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:00 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Care to share? Can't be worse than me shifting in and out of O/D going up a hill because the trans wanted to do it's thing and overheating it.... Wouldn't have happened with a ZF that's for sure.

I've heard great things about Cody's tuning. Maybe some day I'll get to try it.... who knows.
Sure thing....John Wood trans...went through THREE of them towing 10,500# ....everything from slipping, OH problems, and just **** poor performance. I am just of the opinion that manuals just do better under duress. One time was trip on my way to Texas from California. Had to pull off in New Mexico, drop my trailer, and drive it back to CA to get a replacement under warranty slipping the whole way. It's prolly just me, but I'd never own an auto to tow with again. That blinking OD light have me PTSD .....LOL

Quick Reply: Khan's 95 Build thread