2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 Tremor Ease of Entry?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 06:59 PM
ronrpk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 Tremor Ease of Entry?

Hi all - Been saving for my next truck for over ten years now and just about ready. Currently drive a 2004 F150 FX4 from the day I bought it new, over time added a leveling kit, bigger tires. Really like the truck but am looking to step up to a Super Duty F-250 and am interested in the Tremor. Was recently at the autoshow and was checking out the Tremor but with a million people in my way it was not easy. I was able to step into the Tremor once and I noticed with the high step bar it seemed a bit awkward getting in and out, almost too high for me. I wish I could have tried it some more but the place was way too crowded. I am not as young as I used to be so that could be part of it but I hate to think I am getting too old for a truck.

Anyone notice any difficulties getting in and out?

Ron

Old 02-19-2020, 07:02 PM
Brian Exline
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The step is really high. The raptor style running boards are tucked up pretty tight to the body and don't hang down as far as the other step styles.

I would suggest springing for the power running boards. They should help quite a bit.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:06 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 938 Likes on 739 Posts
My girlfriend is 5’1” and she has little issue getting in with the power running boards. My 2019 is as big or bigger than the Tremor with my size tires.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:00 PM
Joshua Flores
New User
I have a Tremor, but I have the power deployment running boards. At 6’4” I can technically get in and out without any running boards, but it is a tall truck even for me. My wife is 5’7” and she needs running boards. She definitely preferred the power deployment style because they come down quite a bit lower than the fixed platform.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:23 PM
leonmckee
Senior User
The power running boards are a game changer IMHO. Recommend you spend some time at a dealership testing for yourself. I find that the power running boards deploy lower and create a larger (more accessible) stepping surface than any other entry solution. The downside, in my opinion, is that due to the fact that the power running boards tuck back under the truck they offer almost no protection from flying debris.

Leon McKee

Old 02-19-2020, 09:24 PM
ronrpk
New User
Thanks everyone. Great thoughts about the power running boards, didn't notice that was an option even though I've built the truck on-line probably 15 times. How's the reliability of the power running boards in wintery weather? Live in the Chicago burbs so I know how the ice can be challenging.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:11 AM
ejb69
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ronrpk
Thanks everyone. Great thoughts about the power running boards, didn't notice that was an option even though I've built the truck on-line probably 15 times. How's the reliability of the power running boards in wintery weather? Live in the Chicago burbs so I know how the ice can be challenging.
I had had a salesperson tell me not to get the power running boards as they had issues with them freezing up. The running boards on my 16 f250 tend to be snow and iced covered most of the winter. I don’t see power boards working very well for those of us that drive in conditions where the slush from the road tends to freeze to the trucks underside. My power mirrors are frozen and don’t work half the winter.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:07 AM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by leonmckee
The power running boards are a game changer IMHO. Recommend you spend some time at a dealership testing for yourself. I find that the power running boards deploy lower and create a larger (more accessible) stepping surface than any other entry solution. The downside, in my opinion, is that due to the fact that the power running boards tuck back under the truck they offer almost no protection from flying debris.

Leon McKee
I have the power deployment running boards on my 2018 F350 Lariat. I’m looking into the Tremor package on a 2020 build for a Platinum. I have seen some online at Brandon Ford. But when I build online, they revert back to the Raptor style running boards. When I try to add the power deployment running boards, they remove the Tremor package. This seems to have happened recently as I had built Platinum Tremor before with the power running boards, but evidently not now. Can a dealer make that happen? Or is there a reason for no power running boards with the Tremor?

Old 02-20-2020, 08:11 AM
leonmckee
Senior User
Originally Posted by Larrymac52
I have the power deployment running boards on my 2018 F350 Lariat. I’m looking into the Tremor package on a 2020 build for a Platinum. I have seen some online at Brandon Ford. But when I build online, they revert back to the Raptor style running boards. When I try to add the power deployment running boards, they remove the Tremor package. This seems to have happened recently as I had built Platinum Tremor before with the power running boards, but evidently not now. Can a dealer make that happen? Or is there a reason for no power running boards with the Tremor?
All the Platinum Tremors I've seen had the power running boards. Not sure what the deal is now, but maybe only your dealer can help with the build

Leon McKee

Old 02-20-2020, 08:16 AM
leonmckee
Senior User
Originally Posted by ronrpk
I've read of a few situations with snow and moisture up in the great white north. I live in a dry high dessert environment and garage my vehicles at night so no issues even with heavy snow dumps. I suppose this is a risk you would need to take into consideration depending on your known driving and garaging conditions.

Leon McKee

Old 02-20-2020, 09:53 AM
garco61
5th Wheeling
You could always change out the running boards with the "non-Tremor" ones that have a longer mounting bracket, making them lower to the ground if the power ones are a concern.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:30 PM
ronrpk
New User
I tend to agree with the posts about power running boards in our winters, probably not good. Even with what I have now that hang lower due to the longer brackets, some times ice builds up so much it interferes with the lower lip of the door skin and actually hits when I open the door. So if me and my fiancé can not get used to the Tremor boards, that would leave either aftermarket (like a drop step) or one of the Ford "non-Tremor" boards. Kind of bugs me that I'd be unbolting some brand new boards and buying new ones. Easy job but still.