Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Controller losing power

Old 07-12-2019, 06:12 PM
CJ Duggan
New User
CJ Duggan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brake Controller losing power

Good afternoon,

I have a 2018 F250 Platinum -
Up until recently its been a perfect truck. It recently however has developed a flaw and i cant seem to find anything anywhere else about it. It features the integrated brake controller and normally with a 16 ft Box trailer with 2 lawnmowers, 2.0-2.5 is enough to really grab the brakes and help it almost pull too much on the truck. When i grabbed the trailer the last few times, I've developed the problem that at 3.5-4.0 I am JUST STARTING to feel it slightly grab. Thankfully the brakes on the truck are strong enough to stop it without problem but i would like it to work like it did for the bigger trailers. Any ideas? I've seen some mention of using a bigger fuse to solve it but that seems like a bad solution to a small problem

As a side note: The 7 pin connector is clear of corrosion on the truck end and the trailers plug seems mostly clean with a little oxidation. Nothing more than you might normally find. Found similar braking issues on my dump trailer which has a almost brand new plug

Old 07-12-2019, 08:46 PM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer has a good reputation on FTE.SDcrewzer has a good reputation on FTE.
There are two brake controller settings to tweak:

1) Select Low, Medium, or High mode
2) Adjust the Gain within each mode.

HTH,
Jom / crewzer

Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 PM
Mattm400
Junior User
Mattm400 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe the brakes on trailer need to be adjusted.......

Old 07-12-2019, 10:22 PM
CJ Duggan
New User
Originally Posted by Mattm400 View Post
Maybe the brakes on trailer need to be adjusted.......
But the same trailer on a 2019 F150 with a brake controller brakes completely different

Old 07-13-2019, 12:00 AM
Mattm400
Junior User
Mattm400 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I run my loaded 16" utility trailer with some weight on it I usually set it at 4.5 to 5.5.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:55 AM
mrgrayaz
Senior User
mrgrayaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 5th wheel went from 6->10/medium over the last 10k miles of towing.

Hint - it wasn't the truck. Adjust the brake controller until the brakes are working. There is zero point in leaving at such a low level and then saying the brakes don't work! Hit the plus!

And check the brakes on the trailer - that's far more likely the problem then the truck.

After I had the brakes rebuilt on the 5th wheel I am back at 6/medium. Imagine that.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Hoss416 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by CJ Duggan View Post
Good afternoon,

I have a 2018 F250 Platinum -
Up until recently its been a perfect truck. It recently however has developed a flaw and i cant seem to find anything anywhere else about it. It features the integrated brake controller and normally with a 16 ft Box trailer with 2 lawnmowers, 2.0-2.5 is enough to really grab the brakes and help it almost pull too much on the truck. When i grabbed the trailer the last few times, I've developed the problem that at 3.5-4.0 I am JUST STARTING to feel it slightly grab. Thankfully the brakes on the truck are strong enough to stop it without problem but i would like it to work like it did for the bigger trailers. Any ideas? I've seen some mention of using a bigger fuse to solve it but that seems like a bad solution to a small problem

As a side note: The 7 pin connector is clear of corrosion on the truck end and the trailers plug seems mostly clean with a little oxidation. Nothing more than you might normally find. Found similar braking issues on my dump trailer which has a almost brand new plug
You shouldn't be using a 16' trailer with two lawn mowers to stop a 7k+ lb truck, in fact if your trailer is tugging on the truck your gain is too high. I bet you have burned up the trailer brakes trying to use them as your primaries.

Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
CJ Duggan
New User
Thanks for the reply. Found the problem was as SDcrewzer had mentioned. I set them at 2.0 on the medium mode and that is the point where it isnt dragging on the truck. Trailer also only had around 500 miles between when it was working fine to when it was starting to act different. Must have changed accidently

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.