Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On vacation with the SD. Some thoughts

Old 07-06-2019, 10:16 PM
dave91gt
Elder User
dave91gt has a good reputation on FTE.dave91gt has a good reputation on FTE.
On vacation with the SD. Some thoughts

2018 F250 Lariat Ultimate FX4 6.7 with 3.55's. It has 9400 miles and it's the second real "trip" it's been on.
The last trip was to the Smoky Mountains. About 350 miles one way, mainly interstate. That was last November with the stock Michelin's. It averaged 20 mpg and was smooth as butter.
Since then, I added 35" Ridge Grapplers and Fuel Wheels. Nothing else was changed. This trip took us to Myrtle Beach SC. About 450 miles. Packed bed and 5 occupants. Avg mpg is now 16-17. The Ridge Grapplers are actually pretty quiet. Saw 2 regens and it murdered mpg. Dropped down to mid 13's. Oil temp hovered between 199-203. It was hot and I was running about 5 over the speed limit. Again, the truck is super comfy for trips. The AC was flawless. The nav did get screwed up a few times on some newer roads. That's going to make me trust google maps more going forward.
The only concern is what feels like a pretty aggravating driveline vibration. It is most pronounced under throttle (light or heavy) starting slightly around 50 but really there between 62-69. It disappears over 70. Almost on the dot. I'm going to throw the stockers back on when I get home and see if it disappears. It didn't start until about 100 miles after putting in the wheels and tires.
But overall, this truck is amazing. One of the few vehicles I've owned that my legs aren't killing me after a 7 hr drive.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:29 PM
Anibal Medina
Senior User
Anibal Medina is starting off with a positive reputation.
some are complaining on driveline vibrations.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:27 PM
KappaKerma
Junior User
KappaKerma is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by dave91gt View Post
2018 F250 Lariat Ultimate FX4 6.7 with 3.55's. It has 9400 miles and it's the second real "trip" it's been on.
The last trip was to the Smoky Mountains. About 350 miles one way, mainly interstate. That was last November with the stock Michelin's. It averaged 20 mpg and was smooth as butter.
Since then, I added 35" Ridge Grapplers and Fuel Wheels. Nothing else was changed. This trip took us to Myrtle Beach SC. About 450 miles. Packed bed and 5 occupants. Avg mpg is now 16-17. The Ridge Grapplers are actually pretty quiet. Saw 2 regens and it murdered mpg. Dropped down to mid 13's. Oil temp hovered between 199-203. It was hot and I was running about 5 over the speed limit. Again, the truck is super comfy for trips. The AC was flawless. The nav did get screwed up a few times on some newer roads. That's going to make me trust google maps more going forward.
The only concern is what feels like a pretty aggravating driveline vibration. It is most pronounced under throttle (light or heavy) starting slightly around 50 but really there between 62-69. It disappears over 70. Almost on the dot. I'm going to throw the stockers back on when I get home and see if it disappears. It didn't start until about 100 miles after putting in the wheels and tires.
But overall, this truck is amazing. One of the few vehicles I've owned that my legs aren't killing me after a 7 hr drive.
Yeah I've only used my nav a few times and already it's put me off course twice. I wish it would integrate with Waze over Android.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:30 PM
cain0725
Junior User
cain0725 is starting off with a positive reputation.
waze

it works on apple car play

Old 07-11-2019, 11:18 PM
Spoojr
Senior User
Spoojr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by cain0725 View Post
it works on apple car play
Although with a displayed vehicle speed almost 10 mph off! Iím just throwing spears...I use Waze over CarPlay every day in my truck. Itís great!

Old 07-12-2019, 01:09 AM
wb6anp
Postmaster
wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Spoojr View Post
Although with a displayed vehicle speed almost 10 mph off! Iím just throwing spears...I use Waze over CarPlay every day in my truck. Itís great!
I use waze every day over android auto and its great, no speed difference.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:11 AM
wb6anp
Postmaster
wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Anibal Medina View Post
some are complaining on driveline vibrations.
Hmm, maybe tahats what iam feeling, not a wheel balance issue. Our speed limit falls right in that range.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:48 AM
Spoojr
Senior User
Spoojr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by wb6anp View Post
I use waze every day over android auto and its great, no speed difference.
Yeah, itís an Apple / Ford problem. There are a couple threads about it already.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:51 AM
2019er
Senior User
2019er is starting off with a positive reputation.
The nav did get screwed up a few times on some newer roads. That's going to make me trust google maps more going forward.
Charlotte is growing exponentially, roads added/modified in short amount of time. Even if you paid for Nav updates wouldn't be enough. Same for Myrtle Beach. New roads added weekly.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:02 PM
dave91gt
Elder User
So just got back home. Nav was fine. Average 16 mpg. Was up around 19 before we started hitting hills. The vibration is definitely pronounced. Enough that I'm throwing the factory wheels and tires back on ASAP to see if it goes away.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:13 AM
dave91gt
Elder User
So I'm updating this and am truly at a loss as to what I'm going to do.
I put my factory wheels and tires back on. And the truck is smooth. Absolutely no noises, harmonic vibrations, etc.
I'm just not sure what the culprit is. Fuel Wheels? Ridge Grapplers? Combination?
The tire store I got them from has already checked balance and they came back good. And this doesn't have the shakes like an out of balance tire. It sounds just like pinion angle vibration. And that's where my money was honestly even though I've yet to tow and at 10,000 miles it isn't likely. This didn't start until a few hundred miles after adding the wheels and tires.
I can't leave it stock. It looks so much better with the wheels and offset.
I guess my next step is to call the tire store and see what they offer.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:56 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Do the new wheels need centering rings? I have no idea if that's needed on the Superduty. On my Nissan Leaf, I bought aftermarket wheels and new tires. After four trips back to rebalance and still getting vibration at highway speeds they finally realized that the centering rings were left off. Now it's nice and smooth.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:40 PM
dave91gt
Elder User
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Do the new wheels need centering rings? I have no idea if that's needed on the Superduty. On my Nissan Leaf, I bought aftermarket wheels and new tires. After four trips back to rebalance and still getting vibration at highway speeds they finally realized that the centering rings were left off. Now it's nice and smooth.
Good point. They seem to fit fairly tight on the hub but have tapered lugnuts. So I'm guessing they aren't hub centric. It's hard to describe the problem. I've had a lot of bad tires in my life that wouldn't balance. These don't shake like that. But have a rhythmic vibration at several speed ranges. Passengers don't seem to notice it. But I can feel it driving. And faintly hear it. I'll know if it changes when I drive it tomorrow. I rotated them and torqued them with weight off of them. Anti seized the wheel where it goes on the hub.
The factory wheels are way better quality. They fit tight.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:58 PM
Hawkeye_F250
New User
Hawkeye_F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are they Road Force balanced? I am not sure if a defective tire tread will be unbalanced

To be fair my brand new 2019 F250 CCSB also has vibrations at 200 miles on the od, but they get worse at 65+ and never disappear. The tires were also over inflated.

if you have access to a quality off-road truck shop, you might look into seeing if they will do an alignment verification. Those larger wheels/tires are putting more stress on the suspension system, maybe something is getting out of whack with them on. You can also rotate the tires to see if you can isolate it.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:29 PM
Norris McCarty
Junior User
Norris McCarty is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an identical truck and the identical vibration. I had installed 35 12.50 18 Rdge Grapplers on Method wheels. I too much prefer the custom tire/wheels to the factory 20s. I even ordered some centric rings to tighten the wheel to hub fit.....to no avail. I finally bought some 285 75 18 Ridge Grapplers and installed them on some powdercoated factory steel wheels.....still have the same vibration. Iíve had this latest combination road forced balance 3 times at 3 different places. In my case I donít believe that the wheels and tires are the problem.
I absolutely love everything about my truck except this bothersome vibration. As in your case, my passengers have never noticed it.
It would sure be nice if one of us could figure it out! My dealer is my brother....his techs have tried measuring drive line angles, alignments, driveshaft balancing and swapping tires and wheels but nothing has done any good.
Good luck! My truck now has 12000 miles. Iíll probably trade it for a 2020!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.