Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Brake Controller losing power (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1589820-brake-controller-losing-power.html)

CJ Duggan 07-12-2019 06:12 PM

Brake Controller losing power

Good afternoon,

I have a 2018 F250 Platinum -
Up until recently its been a perfect truck. It recently however has developed a flaw and i cant seem to find anything anywhere else about it. It features the integrated brake controller and normally with a 16 ft Box trailer with 2 lawnmowers, 2.0-2.5 is enough to really grab the brakes and help it almost pull too much on the truck. When i grabbed the trailer the last few times, I've developed the problem that at 3.5-4.0 I am JUST STARTING to feel it slightly grab. Thankfully the brakes on the truck are strong enough to stop it without problem but i would like it to work like it did for the bigger trailers. Any ideas? I've seen some mention of using a bigger fuse to solve it but that seems like a bad solution to a small problem

As a side note: The 7 pin connector is clear of corrosion on the truck end and the trailers plug seems mostly clean with a little oxidation. Nothing more than you might normally find. Found similar braking issues on my dump trailer which has a almost brand new plug

crewzer 07-12-2019 08:46 PM

There are two brake controller settings to tweak:

1) Select Low, Medium, or High mode
2) Adjust the Gain within each mode.

HTH,
Jom / crewzer

Mattm400 07-12-2019 10:09 PM

Maybe the brakes on trailer need to be adjusted.......

CJ Duggan 07-12-2019 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mattm400 (Post 18750892)
Maybe the brakes on trailer need to be adjusted.......

But the same trailer on a 2019 F150 with a brake controller brakes completely different

Mattm400 07-13-2019 12:00 AM

When I run my loaded 16" utility trailer with some weight on it I usually set it at 4.5 to 5.5.

mrgrayaz 07-13-2019 11:55 AM

My 5th wheel went from 6->10/medium over the last 10k miles of towing.

Hint - it wasn't the truck. Adjust the brake controller until the brakes are working. There is zero point in leaving at such a low level and then saying the brakes don't work! Hit the plus!

And check the brakes on the trailer - that's far more likely the problem then the truck.

After I had the brakes rebuilt on the 5th wheel I am back at 6/medium. Imagine that.

Hoss416 07-13-2019 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by CJ Duggan (Post 18750547)
Good afternoon,

I have a 2018 F250 Platinum -
Up until recently its been a perfect truck. It recently however has developed a flaw and i cant seem to find anything anywhere else about it. It features the integrated brake controller and normally with a 16 ft Box trailer with 2 lawnmowers, 2.0-2.5 is enough to really grab the brakes and help it almost pull too much on the truck. When i grabbed the trailer the last few times, I've developed the problem that at 3.5-4.0 I am JUST STARTING to feel it slightly grab. Thankfully the brakes on the truck are strong enough to stop it without problem but i would like it to work like it did for the bigger trailers. Any ideas? I've seen some mention of using a bigger fuse to solve it but that seems like a bad solution to a small problem

As a side note: The 7 pin connector is clear of corrosion on the truck end and the trailers plug seems mostly clean with a little oxidation. Nothing more than you might normally find. Found similar braking issues on my dump trailer which has a almost brand new plug

You shouldn't be using a 16' trailer with two lawn mowers to stop a 7k+ lb truck, in fact if your trailer is tugging on the truck your gain is too high. I bet you have burned up the trailer brakes trying to use them as your primaries.

CJ Duggan 07-18-2019 05:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. Found the problem was as SDcrewzer had mentioned. I set them at 2.0 on the medium mode and that is the point where it isnt dragging on the truck. Trailer also only had around 500 miles between when it was working fine to when it was starting to act different. Must have changed accidently