Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another No-Start 7.3L

Old 07-11-2019, 05:11 PM
mrjustice1324
Senior User
mrjustice1324 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by M3rc View Post
I thought you only need the standard license and it comes with it automatically.
You have to create an account with Forscan in order to receive the free 2-month license code. Apparently someone at Forscan has to approve your account before you can log in

Originally Posted by M3rc View Post
Just to avoid throwing money away and since you already have the idm unplugged. Check the ohms again at the 42 pin connector, if they're significantly different from the 42 pin connector to the valve covers then you can narrow down where its happening. Then check them at the uvch again before you go diving into valve covers....not that it's hard, I just hope you don't get good at it.
If still bad at uvch, then pull valve covers, inspect uvch and check the injectors themselves by unplugging the uvch. This could be as simple as 50 cent mod, or replacing uvchs.
I'd bet on just bad connections, but if you decide to replace solenoids, while you've got the solenoids off, check the clearance of the armature plates on the injectors to see how much clearance there is under the armature(should be around .004)
Okay yeah I'll have to start checking resistances and see what it's looking like. As far as the solenoids, I'd more than likely bite the bullet and get slightly larger injectors if it turns out one or more are bad. I just didn't know if that high of a resistance was an indicator of a bad solenoid or if that could be the result of bad connections as well.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:04 AM
mrjustice1324
Senior User
So I decided to go ahead and start pulling stuff off to get to the valve covers and noticed some bare wires on my driver's side connector. Passenger side wasn't as bad, but both connectors had some wiggle to them. I'm going to pull the entire wire harness out and check to see if there are any other damaged wires. So here's my big question regarding this harness: Is this repairable??? I'm assuming if i was going to repair this by replacing the connector, my wire connections are going to have to be PERFECT in order to have the correct resistance across the circuit. Looked online and the main engine harness is like $500!!!

Driver Side

Driver Side

Passenger Side

Passenger Side

Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 AM
mrjustice1324
Senior User
Also: On my driver side UVCH connector, what is the extra wire folded back into the plastic wire loom???

Old 07-12-2019, 09:37 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mrjustice1324 View Post
QUESTION:
Looking at my IPW, should my pulse width be something greater than 0 while starting?
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
Your IPW should not be 0. It should read around 3ms while starting.
I agree with Nicmike. Your IPW should be climbing as the truck is cranking but...

While cranking, the IPW needs to be at least 0.6ms. This indicates that the PCM has established connection with the IDM. If not, the IDM will not fire the injectors because the PCM can't tell it to.

Just to add it here for any future internet searches here are the minimum parameters that need to be achieved for the engine to start (all of this is while cranking):

1. Engine RPM - 100
2. Injection Control Pressure (ICP) - 500 psi
3. Injection Pulse Width (PW) - 0.6 ms
4. Volts - 7-10 VDC

Old 07-12-2019, 09:52 AM
mrjustice1324
Senior User
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
1. Engine RPM - 100
2. Injection Control Pressure (ICP) - 500 psi
3. Injection Pulse Width (PW) - 0.6 ms
4. Volts - 7-10 VDC
I have all but the correct pulse width value. Resistance values across all IDM circuits are high. Found frayed wires around the drivers UVCH connector at the valve cover. Going to pull the main engine harness and attempt to replace the connectors with new ones from Alliant. Also debating on ordering new UVCH/gasket for both sides while I've got everything out

Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Without that 0.6ms your PCM isn't connecting to your IDM so your injectors won't fire. I have not had that issue so unfortunately cannot shed any more light on it than that. cleatus12r and Tugly are the two that come to mind that might be able to help you with that path.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
  1. Buy some electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease, then clean out your IDM connector and re-grease it - the IDM gets hammered with water from the road, and you want that grease to protect it the connector. While you're at it, cleaning and dielectric grease is good in all the connectors on a diesel (focusing first on the sensors you have touched).
  2. I would take some Simple Green and spray that engine down real good, let it soak, then gently rinse it with an open hose (not a pressure washer), being careful with what you rinse. A leaf blower or a shop vac in blow mode can dry things out.
  3. After things are clean, look around for wire insulation rubbed off where wires touch metal - particularly under the wire bundle to the 42-pin connector on the driver-side valve cover.
  4. Rather than be concerned with a $500 wire harness, I would click this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-pigtail.html
  5. Using the non-mobile site, I would click the links in my signature - one link in particular makes testing the UVCH much easier.
  6. Pull the chip out completely before your next attempt at cranking. If this resolves the starting problem, this does not mean you have a chip problem - it likely means you have a chip connection problem. I have this tee-shirt in my drawer, right alongside that bad VCCP tee-shirt.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:08 AM
mrjustice1324
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
  1. Buy some electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease, then clean out your IDM connector and re-grease it - the IDM gets hammered with water from the road, and you want that grease to protect it the connector. While you're at it, cleaning and dielectric grease is good in all the connectors on a diesel (focusing first on the sensors you have touched).
  2. I would take some Simple Green and spray that engine down real good, let it soak, then gently rinse it with an open hose (not a pressure washer), being careful with what you rinse. A leaf blower or a shop vac in blow mode can dry things out.
  3. After things are clean, look around for wire insulation rubbed off where wires touch metal - particularly under the wire bundle to the 42-pin connector on the driver-side valve cover.
  4. Rather than be concerned with a $500 wire harness, I would click this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-pigtail.html
  5. Using the non-mobile site, I would click the links in my signature - one link in particular makes testing the UVCH much easier.
  6. Pull the chip out completely before your next attempt at cranking. If this resolves the starting problem, this does not mean you have a chip problem - it likely means you have a chip connection problem. I have this tee-shirt in my drawer, right alongside that bad VCCP tee-shirt.
Awesome write up on the wire repair, I planned on ordering the replacement connectors from RiffRaff and soldering them in but I may end up going this route depending on damage I find. Thanks for sharing that!

I was able to get the main engine harness removed, but as soon as I did, my 9-month old woke up and I haven't had a chance to inspect it yet. Gonna be out of town until tomorrow night so it'll be Monday before I get back to work on the truck. I planned on cleaning the harness up and cleaning the connectors with contact cleaner like you said. Also gonna replace all of the plastic protective sleeve and get rid of all the old electrical tape. I'll have to drink a beer or two to calm my nerves before cleaning the engine up!

I can't help but feel like I should go ahead and replace the UVCHs on both sides while I'll have everything pulled out and cleaned so I'll more than likely go ahead and do that. I feel like I read that the gaskets generally hold up well and don't need to be replaced but I'll go back and research that more. Do you think I should i go ahead and order the gaskets with the UVCHs or am i likely to find that they're okay? I'm definitely getting international parts btw, read to many bad things about the Dorman and like brands

I'll make sure to check out the links when I get to my laptop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.