Notices

COP Bolt Spinning--Removal Tips?

Old 07-06-2019, 05:02 PM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
COP Bolt Spinning--Removal Tips?

2002 E250 w/5.4 gas engine----the #5 COP bolt insert pressed into the manifold has lost its grip and is spinning when trying to remove the COP bolt----as it is now I cannot remove the COP and plug for replacement. There are several ways to repair or re-install the threads but I need a way to remove the bolt and COP first.

I've considered using a drill bit large enough to eliminate the bolt head which would probably work. I've already tried using a pry tool to add upward pressure in hopes of the pressed-in insert pulling free without any luck. I'm being careful to not damage the intake so nothing more than light pressure is applied. Anyway........

If anyone has a way to remove the bolt when the insert is loose---please share!

TIA

Old 07-07-2019, 10:11 AM
alloro
alloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant future
At least it's #5 and not #4 or #8.
I would try to drill from the side until the hole is part way into the insert. Then stick a finishing nail or something in there, or drive a screw in and leave it, to keep the insert from spinning while you turn the bolt out.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:22 PM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
At least it's #5 and not #4 or #8.
I would try to drill from the side until the hole is part way into the insert. Then stick a finishing nail or something in there, or drive a screw in and leave it, to keep the insert from spinning while you turn the bolt out.
Oh yeah on the location---if there's an upside to working on a van its that I have slightly better access to these fricking bolts.

Hmm I'm having a tough time envisioning this process though. I'm wondering if drilling the head with large enough bit to remove it allowing the COP to lift straight up and out then wrestling with the insert to remove or re-install it with JB Weld or the LocTite Thead Repair Kit.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:20 PM
metalsmith
Freshman User
metalsmith is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.metalsmith is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Use a left handed drill bit, it may grab and back out the bolt if you are lucky.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:48 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
Use a left handed drill bit, it may grab and back out the bolt if you are lucky.
No that won't do what I need----the bolt AND insert are turning just fine which is exactly what I don't need happening. The COP is basically trapped against the intake and I'm trying to remove it without damage to the intake or any of the bosses holding the threaded inserts.

Thanks though!

Old 07-08-2019, 06:56 AM
spike0180
New User
spike0180 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had to use a dremel/oscillating saw to remove the stripped head bolt on my #8 just recently. I was able to get my dremel/oscillating saw under the head of the bolt and sheared it off there. Once you have the COP out of the way, you'll have all the room you need to work. Just cut it. It doesn't take long and saves you a hell of a time.

PS. Make sure you have a replacement bolt on hand before starting (obvious, but sometimes we all miss the obvious)

Old 07-08-2019, 07:37 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Thanks Spike0180---that'll be the way I go at this I think.

And yeah i have extra Ford bolts to replace any I have to cut---I'm the king of missing the obvous.

When reinstalling those bolts I use a touch of anti-seize--that seems to keep this from happening later on or ever again.

This van is to be sold once I'm done with it but even so I don't want the next owner to inherent a bad repair.

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.