Notices

Timing issue with cams

Old 07-06-2019, 03:43 AM
Joseph Gamble
New User
Joseph Gamble is starting off with a positive reputation.
Timing issue with cams

I pulled heads on my 1998 5.4 and I broke them down to lap the valves to reinstall I put springs back keepers did not mix any thing up ..question is now all my valves are closed do I Install the cam or wait until the head is back in the block..reason I m asking is my concern w timing ..when re installing the cams,do the lobes on the cams automatically put the valves where they are supposed to be ..if so is there any way to get this wrong in terms of timing

Last edited by Joseph Gamble; 07-06-2019 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Mis spell
Old 07-07-2019, 04:07 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
I'm guessing you have the 2V engine? And yes this can go horribly wrong if done incorrectly. This video might be helpful:

If not this same guy has a ton of other Ford Modular Motor videos too.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:07 AM
alloro
alloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Joseph Gamble View Post
I pulled heads on my 1998 5.4 and I broke them down to lap the valves to reinstall I put springs back keepers did not mix any thing up ..question is now all my valves are closed do I Install the cam or wait until the head is back in the block..reason I m asking is my concern w timing ..when re installing the cams,do the lobes on the cams automatically put the valves where they are supposed to be ..if so is there any way to get this wrong in terms of timing
I would not install the cams until the head is properly torqued down. The stress from torquing the cams could affect if the heads get torqued properly. I would install and torque the cams only after the heads are torqued and all of the timing marks are in their correct positions

Old 07-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Joseph Gamble
New User
Joseph Gamble is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has to be the problem because I don't think timing is my issue I think it is the heads properly sealing .my compression in each cylinder is all over the place ..is it really possible that installing the cams first is warping my head's and do I need to have them machined now..I only torqued the cams at 8 ftlbs I beleive is correct
And in sequence ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.